Let's talk Kerfs (curving your foam)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Let's talk Kerfs (curving your foam)

Postby KCStudly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:22 am

It might work for shallow stuff, but my gut tells me that anything with a deep draw will need to have sections removed from the flat pattern. :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

OT: Re: Let's talk Kerfs (curving your foam)

Postby TeriL » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:27 pm

by GPW » 13 Mar 2012, 05:17
What about cutting the foam into strips and glue them on like a canoe ??? . Going to be skinned like one eh ?

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but this stirred up a question I've always had about strip canoes. The pictures of the canoes I've seen are just beautiful.

Do the strips bend in two directions so as keep a constant thickness as they are bent over the forms? I know one method of planking large boats is to shape each wide(er) plank as they bend toward the front and stern. They wind up being narrow at the ends.

After someone answers this, back to your regular programing...

-- Teri
Our reach should exceed our grasp or what is a heaven for? -- Marshall McLuhan
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:50 pm

I built a stripper canoe back about ten years ago. The 1/4" thick by about 3/4" wide strips are milled with a bead on one edge and a cove on the other. I beleive the router bits you use to form the edges are the same as those used for a roll top desk. When you lay the strips down, they twist to form over the molds. They're glued with TBII, sanded smooth and then fiberglassed. The strength comes from the light weight wood sandwiched between the fiberglass and not so much the wood joinery but I'm sure that helps.

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TeriL » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:04 pm

by tony.latham » 22 Apr 2014, 20:50
I built a stripper canoe back about ten years ago. The 1/4" thick by about 3/4" wide strips are milled with a bead on one edge and a cove on the other. I beleive the router bits you use to form the edges are the same as those used for a roll top desk. When you lay the strips down, they twist to form over the molds. ...

Okay, do the strips bend in two directions?

Bending in the thin direction is intuitive but sideways too? It seems they would have to.

-- Teri
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:24 pm

The answer is yes, but more twist and forming along the x-axis (flat way) than longitudinally bending along the y-axis (hard way).

In the dry fitting stage of this video you can clearly see that the stem and stern of the pieces being fit need to be bent down to meet the prior piece as they are being wrapped and twisted along the contour.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby TeriL » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:15 am

by KCStudly » 23 Apr 2014, 16:24
The answer is yes, but more twist and forming along the x-axis (flat way) than longitudinally bending along the y-axis (hard way).

Thanks KC,

That confirms my long held suspicion.

I studied sailboat boat building in my fascination in the '60s with the America's Cup after Life Magazine had articles on those beautiful boats. In those days, the boats were made with (relatively) wide planks which were tapered on the ends over frames. The planks could basically bend in only one plane. Now, the 'Cup boats are molded from carbon fiber in female molds. Expensive. Not that they were ever inexpensive!

-- Teri
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby steveonzakon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:02 am

Back to foam kerfing. :R
But before I ask my question/make my suggestion, I want to say this is my first post. I found this place by accident while researching building my own camper and I was immediately stricken with foamy fever.

Now on to my question/suggestion. Would a solder gun or wood burning gun (the hand tool you use to burn letters into wood) run at a good temperature to kerf foam?

Both seem to run at round 800 - 900 deg F, or thereabouts from what I've found on the internet.

If that is too hot, you can buy or build regulators to adjust the heat output. http://pcbheaven.com/projectpages/Homem ... ic=worklog

I haven't seen a recommended heat for burning through foam without setting things on fire, if thats even possible.
Campers are for sleeping in, almost everything else should happen outside.
steveonzakon
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:45 am

Steve, not only that , but a solder Gun could be fitted with a special tip that would cut triangular shaped kerfs, which fit better ... :thumbsup: Good ventilation is required ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:15 am

steveonzakon wrote:Now on to my question/suggestion. Would a solder gun or wood burning gun (the hand tool you use to burn letters into wood) run at a good temperature to kerf foam?

Both seem to run at round 800 - 900 deg F, or thereabouts from what I've found on the internet.

If that is too hot, you can buy or build regulators to adjust the heat output. http://pcbheaven.com/projectpages/Homem ... ic=worklog

I haven't seen a recommended heat for burning through foam without setting things on fire, if thats even possible.

The issue is not how hot it can get but how quickly it can recover as it cuts. You would need at a minimum a pistol grip soldering gun of around 180 watts or this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/130-watt-h ... 60313.html
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:16 am

We really must further investigate Heat Bending foam , eliminating the need for kerf cuts entirely ... It really is possible ... :thinking: 190F degrees is the magic number...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:35 pm

GPW wrote:We really must further investigate Heat Bending foam , eliminating the need for kerf cuts entirely ... It really is possible ... :thinking: 190F degrees is the magic number...

I think the foam's insulating properties would make it difficult. You need it to get to 190F inside the foam while making sure the outside of the foam doesn't get any hotter. It may work for 1/2" but not the 1" or more that you would want to use.

If you could do this you then have to deal with the issue that the outside of the curve has to expand while the inside has to shrink. I'm pretty sure it would buckle, tear or fold before you could get a good bend. I think its just too soft. You would have to use various tricks that wood benders use like a metal backing strip but over 4 or 5 feet.

Also you would probably crush the foam as you tried to manipulate it.

I think in the end what would happen is that the middle will bend less than the outside.

I just don't know maybe you could do it like glass. A big oven, a mould and slow heat. Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDR7kwPdiQg
Last edited by chartle on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby VijayGupta » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:53 pm

I didn't examine all the responses in detail, but can add some "rule of thumb" calculations from kerf-bending wood.

You make a sample kerf the distance from the end equal to your radius. Bend the piece up to close the kerf. The distance that the end if off the plane is the distance between kerfs. No math, no trig.

Details here: http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/tblsaw_spops/index.htm
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks! That's more my speed...
:D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:18 pm

I have a spreadsheet that does all the math for you if you want to give it a try I could share it. It's not well documented at this point but I would be glad to clean it up some next week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Hs/pubhtml
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby Gpike » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:38 am

I don't kow what would be easier, but it seems a drywall router might work really well also. Not just for kerfs, but throughout for foam cuts.
Of course, that's just thinking, and I'm really not that good at it.
Gpike
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies