10' Standie Foamie ... on hold

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun May 22, 2011 3:14 pm

GPW wrote:
Steve, what's your "take" on all of this ???/ Curious???

The evolution of material types is moving quickly. We have a huge movement going here with the use of modern materials coated via retro technology. Cost being the driving force as usual.

I was in Albuquerque last week, I saw a guy building a wall around his back yard by gluing blocks of foam together, he did a little shaping to round the tops and corners of the wall. even put in some nichos, then he sprayed a lightweight coating on it and it looked like a real adobe wall.

Looks to me we could have some serious compound curves and radii built in foam sheet and glued block, shaped with a power hand planer, and finished with an orbital sander. Interior framing could consist of not much more than a bulkhead or two. Is anyone here familiar with commercial spandex used in the construction of movie sets? It has bi-axial stretch capability, (no wrinkles in compound curves) comes in wide widths and is sold by the yard at not too an unreasonable price. I think it has about a 2:1 maximum stretch ratio. Could you possibly cover a whole trailer with one piece?

Sorry to hijack the thread. Back to your regular programming :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Besides working on the keyed attachment method, I also started working on the dropped floor...

I also cut out the door, and I glued in some side supports for the door frame

And now that I am whipped, I dragged out the solar panel and the battery which I'll be using on the 10' standie

It doesn't look like I got much done, but I've been out there working on that stuff all day. :duh:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun May 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Nice depth to the dropped floor Mike, what's the overall outside height going to be?
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun May 22, 2011 4:17 pm

Mike , I think you got a heck of a lot done !!!
steve , Thanks for your observations !!!... Spandex, like a Ace bandage thing ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun May 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Mike, are you going to continue the theme and waterproof the inside of your dropped floor with T2 and canvas?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Mike, are you going to continue the theme and waterproof the inside of your dropped floor with T2 and canvas?

I'm going to waterproof the outside of the dropped floor with TB2 and canvas!

GPW wrote:Mike , I think you got a heck of a lot done !!!

Thanks GPW

Steve_Cox wrote:Nice depth to the dropped floor Mike, what's the overall outside height going to be?

Steve,

As designed at was to be 84" from the ground to the top. But that was with the axle above the springs. I've left the axle below the springs, which will drive it up another couple inches. :shock:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby pat g » Sun May 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Hey Mike,

Like the progress. I also like your keyed wall idea, I had thought of a similar idea but since my walls were skinned with wood, I just glued and screwed the walls to the floor.

Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 22, 2011 7:44 pm

i'm enjoying watching you come up with ideas and i think you are doing great. i know how much thought and time it takes to work on them. :applause:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 23, 2011 6:01 am

Not meaning to throw a a bug in with the cupcakes .... T2 shouldn't be used as a waterproofing final finish ...too many things that work better ... T2 will soften when wet ... it won't go runny , but ... :roll: It's a GLUE eh !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Nope, I wasn't planning on TB2 as being the final finish. I was planning on paint being the final finish, like Eaglesdare did!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon May 23, 2011 5:47 pm

sorry, I must have misunderstood ... :oops: Paint seems fine as long as it's not Wal Mart paint ... grrrrrr!!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon May 23, 2011 6:22 pm

mikeschn wrote:Nope, I wasn't planning on TB2 as being the final finish. I was planning on paint being the final finish, like Eaglesdare did!

Mike...

that sounds good to me. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GregDJ » Thu May 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Mikeschn

Have you reviewed the several videos of the HUF Adventure Vehicle? He is making a pop-up truck camper using extruded polystyrene covered with two layers of carbon fiber with epoxy. Part V video shows some carbon fiber application and impact testing.

It is very interesting but expensive.

http://www.hookedupfilms.com/category/h ... e-vehicle/
GregDJ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:09 am

Mike, How's it going ??? Sure anxious to see your progress on the Big One ... !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:55 am

GregDJ wrote:Mikeschn

Have you reviewed the several videos of the HUF Adventure Vehicle? He is making a pop-up truck camper using extruded polystyrene covered with two layers of carbon fiber with epoxy. Part V video shows some carbon fiber application and impact testing.

It is very interesting but expensive.

http://www.hookedupfilms.com/category/h ... e-vehicle/

Awesome video! Thanks! :applause:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies