Foamie solar panel cover

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Ratkity » Fri May 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Next steps:

Continue peeling T3 off my fingers :lol:

Dilute T3 (1:1) and cover top and edges

Figure out how to put straps on - was thinking of getting a small strip of cloth and T3ing the ends and sliding the strap through that. I might delay doing this until the panel is mounted so I can see the best placement of the straps.

Already made the adapter pigtail for the new connectors on the solar panel to the solar controller. Will test tomorrow between rain storms.

Already took out the non-functioning radio antenna from the TD and sealed it up (where the panel is going).

Bought stainless steel screws for attaching brackets to the TD (expensive!)

Drill holes for brackets in panel.

Mount and adhere brackets to TD.

Mount solar panel

Approximate costs:

Solar panel - $220
Brackets (4) $5 - for mounting panel to TD
Screws, stainless $15 - for mounting panel to TD

1" foam $9.75
16 oz Titebond 3 (x2) $15
2 yds pepper cloth $15
Straps and buckles $15
Duck cloth - scrap
Upholstery cloth - scrap
Gorilla glue - small bottle that was hanging around from another project

Hugs,
Ratkity

edited to separate panel and cover costs!
Last edited by Ratkity on Sat May 14, 2011 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 7:26 pm

That is without a doubt , the BEST solar cover I've EVER seen ...... :thumbsup: 8) :thumbsup: :applause:

First one I've ever seen ... :roll:

No kidding , I think it's Cool and Functional ... Nice!!!! 8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Fri May 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Thank you!! :) :)

I shall post final picts when the panel is mounted some time next week.

Supposed to rain all weekend in MD.. bleh.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 7:42 pm

That's the rain that came through here today ... we just got the quick bottom end of it this morning .... so far ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 9:35 pm

did I mention I love the flaming chili pepper material?
can't wait to see how it turns out.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Sat May 14, 2011 7:57 am

that glue did not come thru your pepper material?
after seeing how it comes thru the canvas, i would be worried about that and would probably have gone with a spray material adhevsive.

its looking great patricia.

amazing what can be done with the foam/glue and fabric huh?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat May 14, 2011 9:42 am

eaglesdare wrote:that glue did not come thru your pepper material?
after seeing how it comes thru the canvas, i would be worried about that and would probably have gone with a spray material adhevsive.

its looking great patricia.

amazing what can be done with the foam/glue and fabric huh?

The glue almost soaked through the first layer of white cloth. Almost like the canvas, but the duck cloth isn't quite as porous as the canvas.

The glue soaked the pepper material, but didn't ooze out because I tried not to get overzealous on how much I put on top of the white cloth. I felt like the glue was evenly holding the pepper cloth and pulled tight just like your canvas, but didn't distort (which I was happy to see). The colors and black background are probably hiding any discoloration the T3 would have made.

I want to do the last coat of diluted T3 just as a final protection and waterproofing over the top and edges today.

I did a test fit last night of the cover and it fit perfectly!! *nearly fainted*

I marked the places where the mounting brackets are going on the solar panel frame. Will drill those today. I am trying to figure out how I am going to put the frame on the TD straight if the ground isn't straight The panel probably weighs 15 lbs; a bit too heavy to temporarily attach while I make adjustments. Remember, this is being mounted on the slope of the Reverse TD front (http://www.littleguyrt.com/gallery/phpslideshow.php?directory=rt-exterior&currentPic=9).

Thanks for checking out my project!! It's been great fun and more so with encouragement from my foamie homies.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat May 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Coated the cover with 1:1 diluted T3 today. Also stitched the buckle on the straps.

Had to get a new drill bit for making bracket holes in the solar panel frame. Of course, they were off by 5 mm and had to lengthen them.. never a dull moment. The brackets are now temporarily on. I have some locktite for the stainless steel bolts when I permanently put them on.

The rain is putting a damper on things!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat May 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Final cover ... all dry after diluted T3 coating, complete with straps and buckles!

Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 pm

That's Hot. ... errr ..... Nice! :thumbsup: :applause:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 5:58 am

Rat seeing your cover inspired me to make a Foamie' case like that for my guitar ... now if I can just find that chili pepper fabric ... 8) 8) 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 15, 2011 6:27 am

GPW wrote:Rat seeing your cover inspired me to make a Foamie' case like that for my guitar ... now if I can just find that chili pepper fabric ... 8) 8) 8)

no this is the fabric for you

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wild-Country-Black- ... 35b20ec005

:lol:

patricia that looks great. i'll beable to see it in person in a couple weeks, or is it next weekend?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 15, 2011 6:36 am

so you used the diluted t3 on top of that chilie pepper material? and it did not turn ugly.

i somehow can't get my mind on that at all. i know what that stuff does to canvas. what was you ratio of mix? i am not disbelieving you, but i am amazed thats all.

in my box experiment way back, that full strenght glue dried clear. but not on the canvas, so perhaps it might have to do with the particular material being covered.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun May 15, 2011 7:26 am

GPW wrote:Rat seeing your cover inspired me to make a Foamie' case like that for my guitar ... now if I can just find that chili pepper fabric ... 8) 8) 8)

Whoa! Another creative idea for foam! I got that fabric at Joanne's, but it wasn't in their online inventory. I got the last of the bolt too!

eaglesdare wrote:so you used the diluted t3 on top of that chilie pepper material? and it did not turn ugly.

i somehow can't get my mind on that at all. i know what that stuff does to canvas. what was you ratio of mix? i am not disbelieving you, but i am amazed thats all.

in my box experiment way back, that full strenght glue dried clear. but not on the canvas, so perhaps it might have to do with the particular material being covered.

Was diluted 1:1. I think the dark color of the chili pepper cloth over-rided any possible discoloration of the T3. When I squirted the diluted T3, it beaded on top (due to the prior gluing?) so I used a stiff foam roller to work the diluted T3 into the fabric and really got the corners soaked well. I, too, am very pleased with the outcome of this project.

You know how your outside canvas has that rough feeling? Well, this has a light rough feeling. Think of a finer sandpaper. That probably has to do with weave.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun May 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Instead of mowing the lawn, um I tackled the solar panel!!

It's DONE!

And, the cover on - camera angle in one pict makes it look off, but it isn't.

Also fits nicely inside the TD.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies