How do you guys spread your glue out?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sat May 14, 2011 7:50 am

oh i just wanted to add, don't worry about being neat with that glue on the foam. slop and spread that stuff pretty quickly, get that canvas down and start your stretching. i don't think you want to do it in stages, you want to whole thing tight.

wear despoable clothes, this glue does not wash out of clothing. wear a hat to help protect your hair.

this stuff is faily thick, i just got a better feel using my hand and could work it better. but a putty knife works also.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat May 14, 2011 9:54 am

eaglesdare wrote:oh i just wanted to add, don't worry about being neat with that glue on the foam. slop and spread that stuff pretty quickly, get that canvas down and start your stretching. i don't think you want to do it in stages, you want to whole thing tight.

wear despoable clothes, this glue does not wash out of clothing. wear a hat to help protect your hair.

this stuff is faily thick, i just got a better feel using my hand and could work it better. but a putty knife works also.

Ditto what she said!!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby HandyAtLeast » Sat May 14, 2011 11:38 am

Whenever I have gessoed canvas, I poured out a bit and spread it with the edge of an index card folded over, or a piece of cardboard. You can really control the layer thickness that way and extra gesso could go back in the can. Not sure if that is a good idea for glue. Then use a damp brush to touch up drips and smooth out as needed. Spreading it like this can go really fast.
I make stuff, and it's all designed on Post-Its... the small ones.
HandyAtLeast
Teardrop Builder

Postby pat g » Mon May 16, 2011 8:01 am

Hey Mike,

I used a 4 inch mini roller and an old, good 2 inch paint brush to spread the glue. You can wash these and re-use them but have to be sure to wash all the glue out. As for laying the fabric down flat, stretch the fabric flat the best that you can wait a few minutes then use your iron on a medium setting to get it really flat. Note: some glue will ooze through to your iron but will kinda burn off. You can keep a spare piece of fabric to rub that excess glue off the iron.

Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon May 16, 2011 9:08 am

Guys , all my build , I've just used an old ratty Nylon bristle 2" brush , which pretty much looks like the Medusa now ... :o In between applications I keep it in a jar of water ... Had it, used it ... it was useless for painting to begin with , spreads Glue just fine ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Good tip about the water GPW. Reminded me to mention that you can also wrap your brushes between paint coats with plastic wrap to keep them wet. I've heard that you can also put them in the freezer but have not tried that. I've wrapped wet brushes and roller covers for days and not had a problem.

Pat
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby swampjeep » Mon May 16, 2011 9:13 pm

pat g wrote:Good tip about the water GPW. Reminded me to mention that you can also wrap your brushes between paint coats with plastic wrap to keep them wet. I've heard that you can also put them in the freezer but have not tried that. I've wrapped wet brushes and roller covers for days and not had a problem.

Pat

plastic grocery bags work great for this :thumbsup:
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue May 17, 2011 6:56 am

Working outside in the sun , and having glue dry in the bristles , I found the water soak method softened the glue again making the old Ratty brush usable for a little more time ... The brush i used should have been thrown away years ago , but survived to accomplish this simple task ... To honor this , I'm going to glue some Big googly eyes on it , and hang it on the "Wall of Fame" ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Tue May 17, 2011 6:57 am

GPW wrote:Working outside in the sun , and having glue dry in the bristles , I found the water soak method softened the glue again making the old Ratty brush usable for a little more time ... The brush i used should have been thrown away years ago , but survived to accomplish this simple task ... To honor this , I'm going to glue some Big googly eyes on it , and hang it on the "Wall of Fame" ... :D

:lol:
:thinking:
:thumbsup:
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Tue May 17, 2011 7:00 am

:lol:

on what are you glueing those googling eyes? at first i thought you meant the tear. that would be funny driving down the road. but then i stopped laughing and reread it, you meant the brush huh?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 17, 2011 8:26 am

Not a bad idea on the Trailer , if we can find some really BIG ones ..... 8) Would look like my Lego TD <

Personification of a brush ... fatuous !!! Expected around here... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 am

something like this? but for a tear? :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 17, 2011 8:41 am

Yeah , like that !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: