How do you guys spread your glue out?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

How do you guys spread your glue out?

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2011 7:08 pm

How do you guys spread your glue out to put your first layer of canvas down?

A brush?

A roller?

Your fingers?

Inquiring minds want to know... especially since I want to do this tomorrow!!!

Mike..
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 7:15 pm

Mike , I use those Really CHEAP bristle brushes from HD...2-3".. like a buck fifty... but with T2 you can rinse them out and re-use...Roller works great but sucks up so much glue...Guess a really "short hair " roller would be ideal ...but sometimes a brush is still needed ...Never with fingers , turns your hands yellow (T2) or black (GG)...GG is tough to get off...so is the spray foam ... :o

Ps. I'm doing mine tomorrow too... Good Luck on yours ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Fri May 13, 2011 7:17 pm

High density foam rollers are great. Used it today.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby lm248 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:20 pm

It's supposed to rain tomorrow Mike.
:( :( :(

When I get ready to do mine I thought I'd try a roller.
But since I've never used T2 It might be to thick.
Les
lm248
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Okay, I'll try the brush trick first. I'll report back tomorrow.

Chell did bring me home one of those rubber rollers... I think it's used for laminating Formica. Wish me luck, squeezing out all the bubbles and wrinkles!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2011 7:26 pm

lm248 wrote:It's supposed to rain tomorrow Mike.
:( :( :(

When I get ready to do mine I thought I'd try a roller.
But since I've never used T2 It might be to thick.
Les

Les,

I sure hope they are wrong. Looking at radar, I see intermittent rain overnight, but nothing tomorrow yet. Keeping the fingers crossed!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri May 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Mike , it's more about stretching , pulling and hand smoothing , than rolling ... for me a roller just bunched it up ...grrrr!!! Slightly dampening the fabric might help with the stretching ... start sticking/smoothing it from the center out...stretch as you go ... pushpins help to control contrary edges...

If you do it flat , you can do that inside the garage ..... if you have room ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Room? Nope, there's not much room in the garage these days!

But I hear you on the stretching part. I'll keep that in mind, hopefully tomorrow!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ratkity » Fri May 13, 2011 8:46 pm

When helping eagle put the glue on the panels, I used an old puddy knife to spread it. I poured the glue in a disposable container and shoveled it onto the sides of the foam. The glue drips everywhere.

Eagle just cupped her hand against the foam, poured glue in hand and then smeared LOL. Hey, it worked!

For the roof, we just poured on the glue on it and spread it with an old piece of 1x2.

Be sure to wear OLD CLOTHES!! Glue does NOT come out of clothing.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I was thinking to try the wallpaper brushes you get at HD, they are cheap, and made for spreading glue.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Hmm, just started raining here... should be be youguys in LO and Oxford in a couple minutes... hope it gets it all out of its system tonight, having 50 people over for Carolyn's firsth birthday tomorrow.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Ratkity » Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 pm

swampjeep wrote:Hmm, just started raining here... should be be youguys in LO and Oxford in a couple minutes... hope it gets it all out of its system tonight, having 50 people over for Carolyn's firsth birthday tomorrow.

Awwww, a first bday?!?! Happy birthday to the sweetie!! Take lots of pictures. Doesn't matter if it rains. Tomorrow will be a celebration!!

:new-bday:

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 pm

In the ole Upholstry Dayz - we would use a foam roller to roll out glue for canvans on large areas - then we also had a water bottle sprayer to lightly mist the canvass to ease out any wrinkles and give a little more open time for the glue - remember that canvas is pourous - so air bubbles can be worked out through the fabric. Excess glue trapped under the canvas is what can give you problems. Start in the center and work your way out - this is how we did the vinyl tops on cars. But we used contact cement and you only got ONE shot at it. Big surfaces go eaiser with two people
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat May 14, 2011 6:17 am

Mike you might try one of those 1" foam rollers that they sell for trim work. There about 6" long and I wouldn't think that they would hold much glue.

I used a 3" short hair roller on ours but I was using paint instead of T2.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat May 14, 2011 7:46 am

kiss if you have a putty knife use it, but like ratkitty said, i just slopped it on with my hand.

i also don't think you need to worry about wrinkles, once you start your pullings and tuggings, stretching, you more than likely will not see any.

the only place there is some puckets is where the material had a big seam running down the offset of the middle of the fabric. honestly i don't think you will get that out.

mike, check out your piece of canvas and see if you have that big seam that runs down on yours. that will be you only problem. i think you have the same canvas as i did, so you might not like that seam, and might want to cut that out. but if you do, you also might end up with more flat seams to eventually hide. one of the reasons i had my overlap on the top, not as visible from the sides.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies