paint vs glue

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

paint vs glue

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 15, 2011 6:19 am

i started to reread the big thread and we ended up using t2/3 on foam, then canvas

is there a reason/added benefit that we used the glue vs paint then canvas then paint?

hillman, on page 3 mentions that. would using the paint make it waterproof?

i know i like the glue/canvas/glue. just wondering about the paint/canvas/paint

any thoughts? anyone try it?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 15, 2011 6:23 am

Gary uses paint with his fabric... He called it PMF (Poor Mans Fiberglass) He's had a lot of success with it. But I'll let him chip in!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 6:55 am

Time for some adhesion tests ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun May 15, 2011 7:12 am

I've had good luck with the paint. I used interior latex enamel when I first started messing with it than switch to the bull's eye interior/exterior primer which is what I used on the new trailer. The most extensive test that I've done is the AC cover on the Warrior which has not had problems in the 2 years that it's been used. The bed sheets were put on it using Sherwin Williams exterior latex primer that I had some sitting around. The cover sits in the middle of the trailer right above the tongue so it gets alot of water splashed up from the road etc.

I've have just noticed one thing. The paint works good on the pink foam after you peel the protective film off but the blue foam doesn't seem to have the film and the paint doesn't work as well. I think that GPW posted something about having to sand the foam to get the T2 to stick better and you might have to do the same with the paint.

I have a question since I've never tried the glue. Does it cure hard because the paint stays flexible. I've done a couple of test pieces joining a piece of felt and bed sheet and it makes what looks alot like thick vinyl.

I'm camping in AR so I'll be back later gotta go play in the fire a while.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun May 15, 2011 7:20 am

I just thought of something else. I was carrying a sample piece around in the back of my truck and it got wet. While wet you could peel the fabric off but after it dried it was stuck on as good as before. I'm thinking that the glue might be better it's just that I've only used the paint and it cheaper and when it is sealed in good with oilbase paint final coat I've never had a separation problem but it has never been tested as a structural material like you all are using it only as a covering.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Sun May 15, 2011 8:15 am

Now this might seem excessive , but I've seen these rollers with little pins sticking out that would quickly perforate a surface with thousands of tiny holes ... This would allow the glue/paint to sink into the foam forming little "nails " better securing the fabric ... Not that it's a real issue because of the "Sock" effect !!!! Fabric sticks to fabric like Crazy !!!
There are some more Exotic glues (UHU-Por) that STICK to foam .... but are very expensive ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies