Hmmm, Stove in a foamie standie?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Tx River Rat » Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 am

Walls - Construction

* 1 1/2" welded aluminum walls with R9 insulation
* Solid block foam insulation
This is from one of keystone advertise ments
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Ratkity » Tue May 24, 2011 10:34 am

Anita Rae wrote:Good thoughts Ratkity....except for the instant coffee. Gag! :) This might be doable after all. I just need to switch my thinking from gas to electric.

Try the Starbucks VIA brand instant. It's amazing. I don't perk camp coffee anymore cuz of it!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Re: Hmmm, Stove in a foamie standie?

Postby Olddog1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Resurrecting this 3 YO thread but I feel that's what newbies are for. While flipping thru the channels this AM I found an infomercial for an induction cooktop. Watched enough to see a cutaway pan boiling water in the pot while the host placed their hand on the exposed cooktop. Anyone have any experience with this item? Seems safe enough as there is no open flame, they laid a paper towel on the cooktop, set the pan on top, and boiled water without burning the towel. If it wasn't for prior exposure to modern technology for some of us elders this would border on magic.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:22 am

Sounds like an expensive proposition T’ ... :roll: You’re in a great area to utilize Solar cooking ... It works ... doesn’t burn food , and is basically FREE... www.solarcooking.org
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Expensive now but it won't be long before it will be on the 'as seen on TV aisle at WM.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 pm

The thing is, white gas (or... :frightened: ... propane) are much more portable than a 150 mile long extension cord.

... and "I donna wanna hear no generators" when I'm out there camping. I'd rather go for a nice little walk in the woods and come back with an arm load of dead wood, whack that up with my little hatchet into stove wood sized pieces and start me a little campfire. Yessirree!

:thinking: I wonder how many square feet of solar power it would take to brew a cuppa on an electric cook top like that. :o

Ok, ok, I realize there are plenty of park campers out there with hook ups, and no burn rules in a lot of areas, so I guess it is a fair question; but it's just not for me and the type of camping I intend to do. :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Yeah KC, it's not my way as an ultralight hiker but I thought it might be of interest with the concern over open flames in a foamie. On the trail it's my 32 oz. s/s cup sitting in the edge of the fire heating water for my coffee and freezer bag breakfast. On the trail I tend to travel pretty light at least than 20 lbs. not counting water. Probably one of my reasons for wanting to downsize from a 32' fifth wheel. Just finally realizing that our lives are loaded down with 'stuff' we don't really need. Damn shame it took 63 + years.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:25 am

Funny , we spend the first part of our lives gathering things, and the latter part getting Rid of em’ !!! :lol: TMS (too much s***) can border on “hoarding” ... :roll: :o

Re: camping ... With a common (lightweight) reflective automobile window shade , I can cook , boil/purify water, make cookies , warm my toes ... many things to be said for Solar ... My logic is ... it’s a free ken STAR right there , so why not use it ... :duh:
Ps folded/wrapped , it becomes a rudimentary shelter too ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:40 am

...and on the other hand ... for the FoamStream we have a small toaster oven, microwave, 2 burner electric hotplate, coffee maker (naturally), and backup BBQ with charcoal and wood chips (for outside use of course ) ... plus my Solar stuff .. and we’ll gladly drive extra miles to ASSURE the availability of electricity ... (HRH will insist on that !!! :roll: ) The FS is for EVAC, not causal camping ... although it could be easily used for such ... especially with all the c**p I’ve accumulated for it ... :roll: And the ballast ... :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 pm

GPW wrote:...and on the other hand ... for the FoamStream we have a small toaster oven, microwave, 2 burner electric hotplate, coffee maker (naturally), and backup BBQ with charcoal and wood chips (for outside use of course ) ... plus my Solar stuff .. and we’ll gladly drive extra miles to ASSURE the availability of electricity ... (HRH will insist on that !!! :roll: ) The FS is for EVAC, not causal camping ... although it could be easily used for such ... especially with all the c**p I’ve accumulated for it ... :roll: And the ballast ... :beer:

I know what you mean. Stuff tends to accumulate. :lol:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Bonnie , you’ve seem my Studio first hand ... :o :duh: Funny , my next door neighbor is one of the Doctors that does that hoarding show on TV ... They have’t said anything to me yet , but I know they were thinking about it ... :R :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:34 am

It's not that bad. :) You had it all organized too. Pretty much ... :thumbsup: :D
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:12 am

It’s the "pretty much” part that blocks getting to everything else :oops: ... usually stuff we need ... :roll: The wife suggests I just Throw things away ... :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:20 am

Regarding the topic .... I think you’d want to use the same Cautions with a “stove” (flame) in a Foamie as you would use in a Tent ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:31 am

I do go through and pitch and donate every so often. Very few times have I really missed the stuff I've gotten rid of. YMMV. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies