Clear coating?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Clear coating?

Postby Anita Rae » Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 am

In another post I talked about using a fabric on the interior that looks like wood. My question is what kind of coating should I use so that the fabric shows through that won't turn yellow or orange with age. Some of the stuff that I used in the past on projects seem to not be so clear when the project is finished.
Anita Rae
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon May 16, 2011 11:09 am

this is what i think i would do: put the canvas on the inside. then go to a fabric store, buy the spray adhesive (made for fabric) and spray that on the canvas, then add your wood fabric. you might ask them about getting some form or sealer spray also, to cover and protect the material.
sorry that is the best thinking i can do.

also read the solor panel foam thread. ratkity did use a diluted t2/3 solution on top of her hot chilie peppers material.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Anita Rae » Mon May 16, 2011 11:33 am

TY, I just went over and read it. I'm gonna give that a try when I get to putting up the fabric.
Anita Rae
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 16, 2011 12:06 pm

AR, here's something that will work for you inside ... Clear Acrilyc polymer , from the Arts supply store ... Brushes on nice , dries crystal clear , waterproof once dry ... http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_prod ... ?item=5206 I've used it for 40+ years as a top varnish for acrylic paintings ... :thumbsup: Comes in matte finish too ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Mon May 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Anita Rae wrote:TY, I just went over and read it. I'm gonna give that a try when I get to putting up the fabric.

what ever you are going to use, might want to give it a try on a small "test" piece before movig on to a full wall.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby squatch » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:12 pm

I agree with doing a test on a sample 1st.

You might try Varathane Waterborne Diamond Clear finish. It is a waterborne polyurethane. I have a log home and we covered the entire inside of the house with it. We've also used it on several other projects. I haven't tried it on foam but don't think it will eat into or melt it like solvent based products. I haven't bought any lately but they used to say that you could coat most anything with this stuff including wall paper ect. Might be worth a test. It's an interior product. But I actually have my workbench coated with it and it puts up with most (not all) chemicals that have been spilled on it. Very clear not amber like the oil based stuff. It's pretty runny stuff not thick like paint and it looks milky but dries clear.
squatch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 am

Squatch , I believe you can even use regular Polyurethane varnish on foam ... best to test everything on scrap foam first ..
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies