Foam Outer Finish Material

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Tue May 17, 2011 12:09 pm

thats the way i plan to build on the second one. inside out. i do have my sides cut, but will not permanetly attach, til i get the inside right. or maybe only attaching one wall and then work inside out.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 pm

Maybe we should start working on some Foamie' cabinets and shelves that brace the shell ... from the inside ... :thinking: we know the arches work for the roof /walls , but the thought of a nice utilitarian interior that also supports the shell is enticing !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Here's just an idea ... Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Tue May 17, 2011 1:25 pm

GPW wrote:Here's just an idea ... Image

I certainly like the opening you have made and the utility of it.

I think you'll have more support if you put sides (left and right against the wall) on the lower half of the shelving unit. These can gorilla glued to the wall. "L" brackets supporting the face and center vertical structures to the wood floor would eliminate the need to find an attachment point for the upper structure - but still make it very sturdy.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm

swampjeep wrote:eagle, If he is talking a conventional "truck camper", they are not built as part of teh truck, just built to go in the bed of a pick-up truck

here is something as an example, shown both in the truck, and off, they would have some type of straps holdign them to the truck normally

Not far out, but here is 2 pictures on a truck the same as mine

And mine will be lower so i can put it in my garage (7 foot high door) and have a lift up roof with solid walls made of foam.

Its a bit like taking a 8' x 6' Tiny Trailer and taking the chassis off and that was the reason i can here as you guys seem to be able to do amazing things in a small footprint.

For those interested my truck is featured http://landcruiserparts.co.uk/toyota/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=14 but nothing about the camper part yet as its still in the planing stage.
[/url]
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby swampjeep » Tue May 17, 2011 1:58 pm

hmm, so you're looking at a bed camper (non-cab over) that will have a hard side (possibly foam) pop top. I do see a concern here as teh foam construction method relies on tying in to teh floor and walls for its strenth. With a pop-up style you will lose that tie in. I'll have to think on this one a bit. :thinking:
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue May 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Just cover inside and outside with thin ply , then the canvas, fiberglass , whatever... That should be sufficiently strong ... and you need some rub strips where it contacts the bed...maybe like skids ... ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby stomperxj » Tue May 17, 2011 2:19 pm

GPW wrote:Here's just an idea ... Image

I like the radiused corners on all openings, especially structural stuff. Less prone to cracks like the square corner openings
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Tue May 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Conedodger wrote:
swampjeep wrote:eagle, If he is talking a conventional "truck camper", they are not built as part of teh truck, just built to go in the bed of a pick-up truck

here is something as an example, shown both in the truck, and off, they would have some type of straps holdign them to the truck normally

Not far out, but here is 2 pictures on a truck the same as mine

And mine will be lower so i can put it in my garage (7 foot high door) and have a lift up roof with solid walls made of foam.

Its a bit like taking a 8' x 6' Tiny Trailer and taking the chassis off and that was the reason i can here as you guys seem to be able to do amazing things in a small footprint.

For those interested my truck is featured http://landcruiserparts.co.uk/toyota/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=14 but nothing about the camper part yet as its still in the planing stage.
[/url]

oh i could see that built with foam and covered in canvas. everything except the roof would be canvased in. one unit. that roof would be treated then like our normal hatches, with a hinge. for traveling, just use the cinch straps sideways. i use cinch straps on mine but lenght wise, my hatch isn't the greatest, but with the straps work holding it all down.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue May 17, 2011 2:41 pm

gpw, i like your selving, and i think it would work.

but i am still thinking on this. i might try putting something together on my photo program.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Tue May 17, 2011 2:59 pm

swampjeep wrote:hmm, so you're looking at a bed camper (non-cab over) that will have a hard side (possibly foam) pop top. I do see a concern here as teh foam construction method relies on tying in to teh floor and walls for its strenth. With a pop-up style you will lose that tie in. I'll have to think on this one a bit. :thinking:

I dont think holding it down or a foam pop to will be a problem if i do it in glass fiber and epoxy, its just dare i do it in T2.

I think i am convinced foam will be perfect for it so maybe i will cover some of it in cloth / pva and if it does not work strip it and cover it all in epoxy.

Thanks for all your ideas
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby Conedodger » Tue May 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Just pressed submit and had a thought.

Maybe i will make a unit in cloth / pva and if it does not work, bolt it to a trailer and sell it and make another. I am sure just like eagle you learn a lot in your first build.
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Tue May 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Conedodger wrote:Just pressed submit and had a thought.

Maybe i will make a unit in cloth / pva and if it does not work, bolt it to a trailer and sell it and make another. I am sure just like eagle you learn a lot in your first build.

:thumbsup: :D
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Tue May 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Conedodger wrote:I dont think holding it down or a foam pop to will be a problem if i do it in glass fiber and epoxy, its just dare i do it in T2.

I think i am convinced foam will be perfect for it so maybe i will cover some of it in cloth / pva and if it does not work strip it and cover it all in epoxy.

Thanks for all your ideas

Oh, I agree with this, I was just thinking teh cloth method... but Like GPW suggested, could try adding a later of thin ply wood to teh foam, then the material and TBII

and if you don't like how it coumes out, well

this

\/

Conedodger wrote:Just pressed submit and had a thought.

swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed May 18, 2011 7:31 am

Just had a crazy idea (yes, another one ) ... :thinking: Instead of fiberglassing over the foam , why not just glue one of those pre-finished fiberglass panels fixed directly to the foam ??? You'd have to find the correct adhesive , probably a foam safe "contact cement" ... but it would be MUCH less messy and it's already finished on the outside , eliminating a Ton of sanding and prep/paint work ... STRONG too ... and with a paneled interior , it should be one STRONG structure... Some nice oak "runners" on the outside where the camper contacted the truck bed , would prevent scratching of the Fglas... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies