Canvas Tarp Suppliers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Canvas Tarp Suppliers

Postby Todah Tear » Mon May 16, 2011 4:59 pm

When I used a carpenter's tarp to cover my hatch, covering the seams or places where two pieces have to be joined to cover the length was a tasks. From what I have read in all the foam threads, it "seams" that this is a common problem.

Here is a supplier who sells canvas tarps of variable lengths and material weights:

http://www.mytarp.com/drop-cloth.aspx

If you know of others, let's make a list of them.

Todah
Last edited by Todah Tear on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Todah ... Very COOL, Thanks Dude !!! Not bad prices at all ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Mon May 16, 2011 8:04 pm

http://stores.ebay.com/tarpsupply?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I was looking at a 20x30, figured I could cover the whole thing with one canvas,but I need to find out about the seems before I spend the money.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Conedodger » Tue May 17, 2011 6:00 am

Those on ebay look like waterproof versions to me and in my tests waterprrof materials dont stick very well.

Only cloth or canvas that breathes seem to stick, waterproof materials only stick near the edge.

I have listed my tests in another post
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue May 17, 2011 6:44 am

The covering material Must be porous to allow the solvent in the glue (water) to evaporate/dry ... As long as the material "breathes" , no matter its composition , it will attach to the foam with a T2 type adhesive ... Canvas, fiberglass, Kevlar , Carbon fiber... all will work ... Plastic , metal, pasta, will Not work ...unless a more suitable adhesive is used...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Tue May 17, 2011 7:02 am

Conedodger wrote:Those on ebay look like waterproof versions to me and in my tests waterprrof materials dont stick very well.

Only cloth or canvas that breathes seem to stick, waterproof materials only stick near the edge.

I have listed my tests in another post

this is the one I was looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

funny, the first line says non-treated, teh second says treated ?

BRAND NEW SEALED IN BAG UNTREATED NATURAL CANVAS DUCK COTTON TARP SIZE 20' X 30'

Untreated natural white canvas

Silicon Treated

100% Duck Cotton

Double Stitched Seams with triple thick hems

Grommets approx. every two feet

12oz per square yard more heavy duty than the 10oz

These are non water resistant treated natural canvas tarps. If you need water resistant or flame retardant canvas tarps or canvas covers, check out our Canvas Tarps category.
Cut Size
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue May 17, 2011 7:37 am

We might try the fabric stores for un seamed canvas... One source around here was an awning manufacturer, they had very wide canvas, no seams , and they were not expensive ... many Artists in the area used this canvas with positive results... :thumbsup:
Canvas by the yard has to be less expensive than pre-made tarps... but it's all in what you can get in your area... for the best price :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue May 17, 2011 7:46 am

just for a price approximation: the canvas i got was 10 oz, i believe it was 12x15, drop cloth from lowes. i believe the price was around $22.
but it has that aweful seam running in the middle.

next time i am going to try joanne's fabric. lowes just was closer to me, anything else i have to drive an hour one way. but i will make that drive to check it out, when that payday gets here.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Tue May 17, 2011 7:55 am

GPW wrote:We might try the fabric stores for un seamed canvas... One source around here was an awning manufacturer, they had very wide canvas, no seams , and they were not expensive ... many Artists in the area used this canvas with positive results... :thumbsup:
Canvas by the yard has to be less expensive than pre-made tarps... but it's all in what you can get in your area... for the best price :roll:

I need to do that, there are a lot of awning/boat cover and car re-upolster (sp?) around here, maybe one of them would sell raw material to me fairly cheap.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue May 17, 2011 8:09 am

SJ, I find it's always good to go in with a really good BS story ... These guys are usually bored out of their gourd doing the same thing every day , and a little "entertainment" is much appreciated... Bring drawings, even pics of what you want to do , be Friendly, smile , explain what you're going to do , and you might even consider telling them that you're considering doing this as a business and would be buying from them again in the future if this works out ... I've gone to many "Wholesalers only" , gone in, put my story down , and walked out with the goods , sometimes even some freebie scraps too.... SALESMANSHIP !!!! :thumbsup: :D ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Tue May 17, 2011 8:45 pm

I believe I read somewhere on the canvas website that I listed that you can specify length and weight. I know that they offer " Untreated" canvases. You could probably also inquire how long a continuous piece is before it is seamed. I considered this site because the large canvases that you buy in Lowes or HD all have seams.

You probably don't want a canvas that weights a lot either for the reasons that Conedoger mentioned.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed May 18, 2011 6:45 am

i might give that company a call when my time comes around. those prices are not bad. and not to have that seam will be nice.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 18, 2011 7:18 am

You might want to checkout the local fabric stores ... We have a store , Hancock fabrics , that sells several grades of canvas in large widths on a roll , no wrinkles ... and they even have the painted / striped awning canvas... in some silly colors ... and the prices are very good !!! You can see what you get , and no shipping ... If you have a store like this , you might want to check it out , or better yet , give em' a call first ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed May 18, 2011 7:55 am

the problem for us back hills folk is that we really don't have much in the area. our lowes just recently arrived.
joanns is about an hour one way, and not sure about any other places, but i would have to head north. i know there are a few places up near dover del. but that would be a good 2 hours. i don't know what might be inbetween.
i personally am not worried about it yet. i am so not near that stage of the game. but seeing the fabric's in person is what i do like. so maybe when the time does come i can take a day trip quest.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Wed May 18, 2011 9:03 am

Posting from my phone. Forgive any major errors. Joanne's prices seemed very high for their utility canvas cloth and it was only in 1 yd lengths. Just FYI.

Hugs,
Ratkity
(Who is stuck in jury duty - trying to amuse self while waiting to be called)
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies