Canvas Tarp Suppliers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Wed May 18, 2011 9:16 am

Ratkity wrote:Posting from my phone. Forgive any major errors. Joanne's prices seemed very high for their utility canvas cloth and it was only in 1 yd lengths. Just FYI.

Hugs,
Ratkity
(Who is stuck in jury duty - trying to amuse self while waiting to be called)

:lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 18, 2011 9:20 am

AVOID Crafts stores if at all possible ...Just TOO Expensive.!!! May have to "drive into town" to find a good fabric store .... :roll: You could get together and purchase canvas together (Co-op) saving a trip ... best "let your fingers do the walking "... Phone around ... see if they even carry canvas..

You know , there are many other fabrics that might do the job too ... I was thinking about that aircraft Dacron , which you can brush/spray the special glue on the skin , let it dry and then Iron on the fabric to the foam (fuses to the foam ) ... and it shrinks tight as you iron ... More expensive than T2 and canvas, but gives a finished look/surface , and actually cuts with pinking shears... easy to paint... Just another possibility ... Not thrifty per se, just different ... :thinking:

Jury Duty .... grrrrr!!!! Civil or Criminal?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Wed May 18, 2011 9:25 am

GPW wrote:AVOID Crafts stores if at all possible ...Just TOO Expensive.!!! May have to "drive into town" to find a good fabric store .... :roll: You could get together and purchase canvas together (Co-op) saving a trip ... best "let your fingers do the walking "... Phone around ... see if they even carry canvas..

You know , there are many other fabrics that might do the job too ... I was thinking about that aircraft Dacron , which you can brush/spray the special glue on the skin , let it dry and then Iron on the fabric to the foam (fuses to the foam ) ... and it shrinks tight as you iron ... More expensive than T2 and canvas, but gives a finished look/surface , and actually cuts with pinking shears... easy to paint... Just another possibility ... Not thrifty per se, just different ... :thinking:

Jury Duty .... grrrrr!!!! Civil or Criminal?

Mix of all - my color card is for civil, I think. Haven't been called yet. I think all others have been.
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 18, 2011 9:58 am

Civil, that's fortunate !!! They are usually "settled" at the last minute and don't go on forever like some criminal trials ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Wed May 18, 2011 1:16 pm

GPW wrote:Civil, that's fortunate !!! They are usually "settled" at the last minute and don't go on forever like some criminal trials ... :thumbsup:

At the last minute, the "blue" card jurors got the courtroom switched and 25 more blue cards added. Turned into a criminal. Defense didn't want me. Alas! I'm free for 3 years now.

Onward to the foamie progress!!!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 18, 2011 1:25 pm

:thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Aligator944 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:21 pm

I was at Harbor Freight this weekend and saw that they have 4'x 12' -10 oz canvas drop cloths on sale for $6.99 and their 9'x12' ones on sale for $14.99. That's only $1.31 and $1.25 per square yard. I may just swing back to night to pick them up before the sale ends. I do not know if they have seams, but for that price.....
Here is the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... drop+cloth
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Good Eye Gator !!! 10 oz. canvas ... :thumbsup: seems very “reasonable "
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:40 pm

I bought the 7 oz canvas from RoseBrand.

http://www.rosebrand.com/subcategory154 ... anvas.aspx

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Aligator944 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:53 pm

Mike,

I had seen that Rosebrand was where you got yours and thought the price was great ($5.15/SY) but in the interest of being thrifty I will probably go with the heavier weight 10oz HF drop cloths and just cut out the seams (if there are any) as it is about 1/4 the cost of the Rosebrand 7 oz fabric. I really should have bought a few of the 9'x12' ones when I was there on Saturday.

I have not begun a thread on the foamie I am working on, but probably should. Like several others, I have started with my demolished tent trailer frame and am planning a 5' high, 6.5' wide by 12' long partially dropped floor Wildgoose/Campmaster style trailer.
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Please start a thread. I am really interested in that style of trailer.

Mike...

Aligator944 wrote:Mike,

I had seen that Rosebrand was where you got yours and thought the price was great ($5.15/SY) but in the interest of being thrifty I will probably go with the heavier weight 10oz HF drop cloths and just cut out the seams (if there are any) as it is about 1/4 the cost of the Rosebrand 7 oz fabric. I really should have bought a few of the 9'x12' ones when I was there on Saturday.

I have not begun a thread on the foamie I am working on, but probably should. Like several others, I have started with my demolished tent trailer frame and am planning a 5' high, 6.5' wide by 12' long partially dropped floor Wildgoose/Campmaster style trailer.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Ballistic Nylon or Polyester?

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 pm

The skin-on-frame canoe and kayak folks use polyester (Dacron) or nylon.

http://shop.skinboats.com/Skin-Boat-Fabric_c3.htm has 12 ounce, 67" wide nylon for $12 per running yard.
Not super cheap but still less than siding.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Aligator944 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:19 am

FYI, I went to HF last night and picked up 3 of the 9'x12' drop cloths while they were still on sale. When I got home I opened one and it is two pieces 9'x6' with a seam joining them in the middle. I will probably cut out the seam and use them as separate pieces. At about $1.25 per square yard I will just have to live with a joint along the side of my trailer.
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:06 am

Good find Gator !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:03 pm

GPW wrote:Ooh Ooh !!! Check this out !!! Canvas , all styles and sizes ... http://stores.ebay.com/chicago-canvas Oh the possibilities... :thinking:

another
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies