Canvas Tarp Suppliers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Canvas Tarp Suppliers

Postby atahoekid » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:41 am

But remember boys "ya don't buy beer, you rent it" BTW, winos are more than welcome in our foamy lounge :lol: :lol: :lol: Leaves more beer for me. :D :D :D
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:54 am

i remember when i took a bus from norfolk va to jersey. i had my 2 yr old little girl with me. well this guy got on the bus and wanted my daughters seat, and he got it too. :shock: but he offered me a sip from his brown paper bag. :frightened: i politely refused and then pretended to sleep the rest of the way. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:02 am

Off rambling again eh ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 am

stop rolling those eyes at me! :x :lol: :oops:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:38 am

Off to the fabric store .... Saw they were having a big Sale ( again) .... looking for “sock” material this time .... Lots of it ..... figure might as well get a good deal on it while I can ... :D
I know this might sound silly ( not the first time eh ? ) But I’m teaching myself how to sew.... Thinking if I can sew up a “sock “ to just slip over the foam shell , there would be no seams showing ... or “neater” looking ones anyway ... Just an idea ... :thinking:
All this came about from having restored my vintage "American Home" (Japanese) sewing device ... Learned a LOT about the mechanicals inside , how to tune it up ... Mine runs like a Swiss watch now ... Made a few simple projects to test it out ... :thumbsup: 88462
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:40 am

gotta love a self taught man! :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:59 pm

No Luck today ... that sale is Over :cry: .... BUT I can get a Senior Citizens Discount on Wednesdays ... 15% off everything ... that and a sale should really do it ... I hope ... I did see some Nice canvas , perfect for a Foamie , Including some patterned outdoor canvas , looked like awning material ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:07 am

Not exactly a tarp supplier, but I have asked for further information from this site. The widths/lengths/weights are very tempting for the foamie. :)

http://www.allenscanvas.com/

Wouldn't necessarily call it thrifty, but they do have floor cloth weights. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:37 am

Bonnie , having dealt with “Artist” canvas for some 40+ years (being an Artist and all ), they do tend to be a bit more Expensive ... but this looks like some Good Heavy canvas , perfect for a skin http://www.allenscanvas.com/8prices.html ... Nice Wide widths available ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:28 am

GPW wrote:Bonnie , having dealt with “Artist” canvas for some 40+ years (being an Artist and all ), they do tend to be a bit more Expensive ... but this looks like some Good Heavy canvas , perfect for a skin http://www.allenscanvas.com/8prices.html ... Nice Wide widths available ... :thumbsup:

I'm assuming its more expensive because its better quality with maybe a tighter weave. Which could equate to easier filling of that weave, because isn't that what artists want, so it will take less of whatever you use as a filler.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 am

That and generally the canvas has a much nicer surface free of “nubs “ , knots and other imperfections ... smoother ... more expensive ... Let’s face it ... you don’t want a lot of stuff sticking up in your fancy brushwork eh ??? :frightened:
Just FYI , I always “size” my raw canvas first , then apply the Latex Gesso (primer) ... which is quite Thick , sand-able and does a great job of filling in the pores ... ;) Couple coats , sanded in between becomes like the surface of an eggshell ... great “support" for a nice paint job ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:33 am

GPW wrote: Just FYI , I always “size” my raw canvas first , then apply the Latex Gesso (primer) ... which is quite Thick , sand-able and does a great job of filling in the pores ... ;) Couple coats , sanded in between becomes like the surface of an eggshell ... great “support" for a nice paint job ... 8)

Is that for a TD or a painting? If for a painting, how well do you think artist Gesso will work for a TD.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:40 am

Never tried it on a TD ... yet ... Check this out ... I have used this stuff for painting before ... http://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-Profe ... 38.utrecht
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:04 pm

GPW wrote:Never tried it on a TD ... yet ... Check this out ... I have used this stuff for painting before ... http://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-Profe ... 38.utrecht

I'm concerned that that product is designed for items that will hung on a wall in a climate controlled environment. Not something sitting out the rain moving down the highway at 60 mph.

It does say it's flexible, just wondering how water resistant. I know there is always a top coat but the smallest ding and water can get into that layer.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby bonnie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:10 pm

GPW wrote:That and generally the canvas has a much nicer surface free of “nubs “ , knots and other imperfections ... smoother ... more expensive ... Let’s face it ... you don’t want a lot of stuff sticking up in your fancy brushwork eh ??? :frightened:
Just FYI , I always “size” my raw canvas first , then apply the Latex Gesso (primer) ... which is quite Thick , sand-able and does a great job of filling in the pores ... ;) Couple coats , sanded in between becomes like the surface of an eggshell ... great “support" for a nice paint job ... 8)

The site said to expect very little shrinkage across the width and up to 10% in lenth. If I remember Mike's build correctly, that's about right. The various widths will make wider canvas covers easier -- no seams. GPW, do you think Latex exterior paint would do the same thing? Couple of coats and sanded to eggshell? I'd really like a mural on my future foamie, so this really appeals to me. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies