Canvas Tarp Suppliers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Canvas Tarp Suppliers

Postby razorback » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Check out Tractor Supply stores. Every one I have been in have a wide assortment of canvas tarps.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Thank you, Razorback!

I have a silly aversion to seams. I am a seamstress which is the only possible explanation. For some reason I long to have a seam free cover on my dream foamie. Another side effect of being a seamtress is that I want to know the direction of my grainlines for strength and stability. I've noticed that tarps don't show the edges (selvedges of the cloth) so you cannot tell what is length or width. I know - picky, picky, picky...

I went and looked at Big Duck and at Dick Blick (shocking prices), then I went back to Dharma Trading so I have a lot of stuff rattling around in my head. What I am wondering about the most is fabric weight advantages/disadvantages because weight affects the cost of canvas so much. I've been enjoying the early comments on GWP's thread where the discussion goes from old bed sheets to fiberglass fabric.

I did find some 12 oz for sale on Big Duck for a great price, but it was dark brown or caramel colored. Makes me wonder how good primer is at suppressing dark cloth colors.

After having read all those old discussions and a few foamies have been on the road for a few years, I feel compelled to ask, "Has anyone tested this?"
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:57 am

GTG, the Primer will cover dark colors !! ;) 12oz. canvas should be nice and Strong ... a Good skin... With a Foamie’ , the skin is IMPORTANT!!

Ps. I don’t like seams either .... does that make me a “seamster” ... :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:02 pm

Yes, indeed, GPW. Disliking seams makes you an official seamster. Some words just refuse to be neutralized! Sewer just isn't as beguiling. And that is great news about the primer. I suspected so, but it is nice to have confirmation. I have another question about canvas - does the heavier canvas soak up more glue thus making it a thicker and stronger skin?

Thanks
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:28 am

Yes it does !!! And naturally the thicker canvas is stronger anyway ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:52 am

Thank you, GPW. We will be briefly in NOLA this week. If you here a voice faintly yelling, "Thank you for all the information an help...." That will be me. The hubby might be yelling, "Thank you for keeping her out of my hair."

I like to drop into the Restore there when we are in town to look for things that I cannot find here. Have you ever found cypress wood scraps there?
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:40 am

You know , I haven’t been there yet (but really need to go check it out ) ... You can “probably” find cypress there (guessing) ... Try to get the Old stuff .... much better than the new lumberyard cypress , which I think is from Florida ... :roll:

Best not be on the streets at night here ... a “culture” of Predators abound ... :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:45 pm

I"m hoping my husband will have his normal patience with me and join me in prowling around. I also like to go to the salvage store a few blocks away. Thank you for the tip on old cypress wood. I imagine that when it does show up it moves off the shelves at the speed of light.

Thank you for your concern. The friends we visit down there live in the Marigny not too far away from the ReStore. They keep an eye on our wanderings!

I did have to laugh though. That's what people say about our neighborhood.

Thanks.
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:58 am

Just got notice of a Sale @ Big Duck canvas of seconds, pre-shrunk, and certain name canvas... Might want to check on that ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby WoodSmith » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:39 am

GPW wrote:Just got notice of a Sale @ Big Duck canvas of seconds, pre-shrunk, and certain name canvas... Might want to check on that ...

Glen,

I just went over and looked at Big Duck. They sure have a wide variety! Looking at the pre-shrunk canvas http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/discounted-fabrics-overstock-factory-seconds/off-white-10oz-preshrunk-canvas-15yd-roll/ I noticed there may be a coating on it:
Big Duck wrote:Off White 10oz 57/58" Preshrunk Cotton is a premium grade canvas. The soil and crease resistant finish add an extra layer of protection making it ideal for slip covers and other home decor applications.

Soil and crease resistant finish? Will this interfere with adhesion to the foam? Am I looking at the wrong stuff? This was a discounted 15yd roll, which was appealing, but it would suck to discover it a-peeling off the foam! :R

It seems like buying the preshrunk would be a good idea rather than trying to wet it and shrink it down at home.

Glen
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby chartle » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:57 pm

This part maybe an issue.

: For best results it is recommened to dry clean to best preserve the effectiveness of the shrinkage and water repellant features.

If it repels water it may repel glue.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Just FYI: I used every bit of a 20YD bolt of 10oz military grade canvas,
from Big Duck on sale, to do both in and out of my 4x8.

It also took 3.5 gallons of Gripper and 1.5 gallons of Sherwin Williams
exterior enamel for 2 coats primer and 2 finish. I did not use glue just
the primer as adhesion aid.
:D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:13 am

I think these adhesion questions would be best addressed to the Customer Service dept. at the canvas suppliers ... whoever they are... :thinking: Personally I think an untreated canvas would be best ... but who knows for sure ? :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:51 am

Big Duck now has HEAVY Burlap .... :thumbsup: http://www.theburlapfactory.com/22oz-48 ... 211_4_2014)&mc_cid=26eadbf529&mc_eid=6a87b95f48
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:49 pm

Just thinking , that Burlap has to be Really STRONG stuff , and with a nice weave to it (The really Heavy 18 oz. canvas was what we used on the FoamStream , this is 4oz. Heavier :o ) .... bet you could do a nice finish with it too ... 8) Wish I had something that needed covering right now ... :thinking: Hmmm? Schmaybe’ a Foamie Boat .... Winter project ... ? :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies