Canvas Tarp Suppliers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Canvas Tarp Suppliers

Postby Jst83 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:08 pm

OK I'm starting to gather stuff for my recovering this spring when my knee heals, I found 10oz Duck canvas at Joann farics for 6.99 a yard 60" wide not bad for my sides and it will be seamless. My question is how does a seam look cause my camper is just over 6' wide so I'm thinking of going canvas tarp for the top so I'm dealing with 1 piece, the larger canvas tarps from say menards or HD have a bulky seam in them don't they? Any one have pics of this type of tarp used?
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:37 am

Scott check out Big Duck Canvas... good prices many sizes , NICE canvas!!! No seams . :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jseyfert3 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Does weight matter a lot? Do they need to be a certain weight for best rock resistance or strength? I need to order some canvas soon, so I've been looking around. I'll need at least 20 yards for my build, and the roof is 66" wide so I need some 72" canvas or live with a seam. The seam is probably a bit cheaper. :thinking:

Rose Brand has 72" 7 oz, 25 yards shipped (a little extra for screw-ups) for $154.63. Big Duck Canvas has #12 (11.5 oz), 25 yards shipped for $173.18.

Way cheaper would be Harbor Freight canvas drop cloths. 10 oz 9'x12' for $15.29, the seam gives you two pieces that are 6'x9' joined together. So it's like you get 6 yards of 6' canvas for $15, or $2.5/yard. Cheaper with the 20% off coupons they give out like candy. My sides are about 9.75' long though, so I would have a vertical seam somewhere, and my roof is about 18' long when measured around the curve, but only 5.5' wide. So I would have a seam on the roof, but it could be hid on top (need to be 6'+ to see the top of my camper, like I am), and at the hinge. Side seam can be put where the door is, so it sort of blends in. That would cost me $48 after a 20% off coupon to do my whole camper.

WOW the seam is WAY tempting. And with the door, the seam wouldn't even be very visible, or a little contrasting paint over the seam. :thinking:
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby desertmoose » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:21 pm

I used Harbor Freight drop cloths on mine. The seam isn't that big a deal.

Hard to see, but the side seam is above the door.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:39 am

That came our really Nice !!! :thumbsup: 8) :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jseyfert3 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:39 pm

I bought five packages of the 9'x12' canvas drop clothes from Harbor Freight today (#10 weight). $15.29 each, plus 20% off my entire order so like $12.23 each. If I consider it as 18' of 6' wide canvas, that's $2.04/yard. :thumbsup:

I only needed four packs, I got the fifth in case of mistakes.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby desertmoose » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:55 pm

I highly recommend opening the tarps, spreading them out on the driveway and soaking them with a garden hose.
Mine shrank over 6" in both directions when I did it.

Once dried out, I didn't run into any more shrinkage while applying them.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby jseyfert3 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:40 pm

I was thinking of washing them and drying on low. I figured that should shrink them.

Of course the driveway is free.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:02 am

If you don’t want to bother with pre-shrinking , just ALLOW for it by making your ends longer than they need to be , then trim after it’s almost dry (and shrunk) ... Easy enough to add more glue on the edges .. once trimmed ... The actual shrinking happens very quickly once the material is applied and begins to dry ... easy enough to deal with ...
It was difficult for me to find a space big enough to lay out 30 yards of canvas for pre-shrinking ... so we didn’t ... :o

Just a note , the canvas shrinks More lengthwise , and much less in width ... That’s easy to plan for ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jseyfert3 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:50 pm

GPW wrote:Just a note , the canvas shrinks More lengthwise , and much less in width ... That’s easy to plan for ... :thinking:

Actually, it didn't...not sure if it was the direction of the weave or not. I think I measured one before I shrunk it and it was 11 3/4' x 8 3/4'. However, I'm not sure if I did or if I read that somewhere...

Anyhow, more importantly, after I washed and tumble dried the canvas, the pieces were approx. 11'1" x 7'1" to 11'1 x 7"4", measured 3 of the 5 ones I got. After you cut off the outside hem, for ease of numbers you've pretty much got 11' x 7', split with a seam so it's like two pieces 5.5' x 7' joined in the middle. (This is the #10 cotton drop clothes from Harbor Freight)

Of a curious note, 2 of the 5 pieces had no seam. This I did not expect as I looked at one piece, it had a seam, and everyone said they had seams. But when I grabbed one from the pile of washed, unfolded canvas, I grabbed one of the two that had no seam. This means I have two pieces that are 11' x 7', solid, no seams.

I wonder if you can inspect the packages closely and see which ones have a seam. Is it even common for them to come without a seam? :thinking:
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby GoTurtleGo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm a newbie, but from other experiences in my life I know about this particular resource that might interest you. Especially if you positively hate seams or just want less of them. The site says it is an 8 oz fabric and will shrink about 17%. Most fabrics shrink lengthwise more than widthwise.

Happy hunting.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/scenery-canvas-72-inch-wide.html?lnav=fabric.html
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:05 am

Thanks Turtle .... looks good !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:02 pm

GPW,

Something not often stated is that the different suppliers have
vastly different canvas. Thread counts and weave density were
an issue for me. I had a great sale price from wally's world, of all
places. The thread count was low and the fabric was a very loose
weave. I bought from a Big Duck Canvas at a 1$ more with a nice
tight fabric that was also 'rated 10 oz'...
:thinking:
I haven't read any experience yet to indicate what strength is
required?
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:09 am

Pete, canvas varies wildly !!! :roll: WM, HF , HD ... you can expect the least !!! I’m getting ready to order a lot more canvas (for painting) .... am going with Big Duck again.... I like their canvas , and their prices are in line ... a Good Value for real ... :thumbsup:

We used the 18 oz. Big Duck canvas on the FS.... It’s some TOUGH stuff... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:38 pm

OK after reading more of your comments, I'll go look at Big Duck. The canvas sounds nice and sturdy as well as reasonable.
I am in the daydreaming and gathering info stage so this is fun for free right now.
Thanks!
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies