Foamie windows ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Tue May 31, 2011 9:57 am

Ok , here's a drawing for the fixed window (s) ... Agree with the need for ventilation ... Got a standard top vent for mine ... Easy to put screened vents in the floor too ... and if you use a hole saw , you'll have the plug too ... for traveling in wet weather... or use the smaller deck hatches ... like Todah suggested... even in the rain , if you have e vent in the floor and the top vent cracked open slightly (enough to keep the rain out ) the hot air will leave from the top, the cool air coming in through the floor ... We did floor vents on Kustom Vans back in the late 70's ... a much appreciated option down the road... :thumbsup: Image

For a deck vent , a few of these http://www.amazon.com/Tempress-Products ... 177&sr=1-3 in the floor would allow venting , and access for an electrical cord too ... I am planning on a 50' GFI extension cord as my electrical system ... with a bottom hole , I wouldn't have to put a hole in the wall for access, no shore power fixture $$... or a hole in the door for access, that might leak water inside in the rain ... You could just staple some screen on the underside if you wanted ... easy !!! :thinking:
Last edited by GPW on Tue May 31, 2011 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Tue May 31, 2011 10:04 am

Cheap and Dirty thought

Cheap and dirty is good. Here's one I did for a camper shell a few years ago. The window is glued in with Lexel and it's probably the strongest part of the door !
I tried to salvage the window to use in the door I'm doing now, but it's not coming out. I think I'll have to cut away the door around it. Fortunately, I already have the new piece for when I break that one getting it out...

The other piece there is the donor glass from a Ranger back window for one of two longitudinal fixed skylights from another project that ran its course. The fixed skylights will be a bit like a glass-roofed tear I saw in one of the photo threads (sorry, don't remember whose). Those ones will be glued flush into a lip from the outside just like your cheap and dirty thought. Given how the Lexel on the door has held since I glued it in probably 10 years ago, I have no reservations about using the stuff on the roof. I don't know about its UV resistance though because the gluing area is hidden.

With the skylights, I figure on using a cosmetic bead of black sealant on the outside.

BTW, auto wreckers are about the cheapest source of tempered glass I've found.

Floor vent....I like it...another idea I'll poach....thx ! :thumbsup:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Tue May 31, 2011 10:25 am

GPW wrote:Ok , here's a drawing for the fixed window (s) ... Agree with the need for ventilation ... Got a standard top vent for mine ... Easy to put screened vents in the floor too ... and if you use a hole saw , you'll have the plug too ... for traveling in wet weather... or use the smaller deck hatches ... like Todah suggested... even in the rain , if you have e vent in the floor and the top vent cracked open slightly (enough to keep the rain out ) the hot air will leave from the top, the cool air coming in through the floor ... We did floor vents on Kustom Vans back in the late 70's ... a much appreciated option down the road... :thumbsup: Image

For a deck vent , a few of these http://www.amazon.com/Tempress-Products ... 177&sr=1-3 in the floor would allow venting , and access for an electrical cord too ... I am planning on a 50' GFI extension cord as my electrical system ... with a bottom hole , I wouldn't have to put a hole in the wall for access, no shore power fixture $$... or a hole in the door for access, that might leak water inside in the rain ... You could just staple some screen on the underside if you wanted ... easy !!! :thinking:

The floor vents are wonderful ideas! How do you make sure no rain or water splashes up while driving? Are they like floor registers where there's a wheel to close them off? You could put them in the sides of the foamie too, for a cross breeze too.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 31, 2011 12:22 pm

Rat, the floor vents shown have a screw in cover... or if you make your own , just use the leftover HS plug and fatten it up a bit ... maybe put a cover over that ... just the top off a plastic butter tub should do nicely , thin enough not to notice under a rug ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Tue May 31, 2011 1:32 pm

I was thinking of these

http://tinyurl.com/42qytzu

The little wheel would close the vents while traveling and then you could open to direct air where you wanted it. Twas just a thought.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 31, 2011 2:09 pm

That should work too !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Found this at HD .... should make a good pair of windows ... reasonable ... Going over to the Guitar Factory tomorrow (my part time consulting job) ... will see if he can cut some frames for me ... Best thing I can think of , for the price.. :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:27 pm

GPW wrote:Found this at HD .... should make a good pair of windows ... reasonable ... Going over to the Guitar Factory tomorrow (my part time consulting job) ... will see if he can cut some frames for me ... Best thing I can think of , for the price.. :thinking:

what did you find? i am glad you found it, but what is it? :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:29 pm

eaglesdare wrote:
GPW wrote:Found this at HD .... should make a good pair of windows ... reasonable ... Going over to the Guitar Factory tomorrow (my part time consulting job) ... will see if he can cut some frames for me ... Best thing I can think of , for the price.. :thinking:

what did you find? i am glad you found it, but what is it? :lol:

super light weight invisible windows - so clear you can't see them! :lol:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:42 pm

hahaha, I wish !!! Found some plastic to make windows out of http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053 ...they do sell smaller pieces, all kinds ... .093"..should be fine for a Foamie window... no Bears ... lots of pieces suitable for making a couple windows < $20... :thumbsup:
Lexan is nice , but Pricy ... probably bear "resistant"... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:03 pm

oh i see now. hehehe
yes that will work for sure. plexy is expensive.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 am

I sure would like to use a commercial window ... one with the slide opening and a screen ..that would look Nice , just hard to justify the expense... It would appear that prices have increased considerably since the last time I bought some .. 4 years ago .. :o
So in keeping with the Thrifty Theme, guess building them would be the Thrifty alternative... Not like it's difficult to do .. :thinking:
I did contact the old lady down the street with the abandoned Van (with windows)... she said she'd be glad to "sell" me some windows ... and I'd have to get them myself , which would require me to hire somebody with a tractor to haul it out of the intense overgrowth (snakes) ... What the heck , that's Not Thrifty , and for used windows ....grrrrrrrrrr!

However , I do have another plan ... :o Got my friend who is a mechanic and has access to many things automotive at really good prices... He wants a foamie TD too (he's also the one who wants to sell them ) so we'll have to set him to task of finding some windows ... for a thrifty price. I'll tell him it's for his TD too ... ;)

We'll have to see how it goes over at Vinney's today ... I know he has lots more of that Alaskan Cedar (like I used for my door frames) .. and HD is across the street ... :thumbsup: If he's not too busy , I can use his shop tools ... makes it EASY ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Well it was a great day at the guitar factory ... found a sheet of 1/2" thick Plexiglass 12.5" X 60" ... more than enough for a couple small windows ... and we cut the last of the Alaskan cedar ... more than enough to make window framing .... and here's the luck .... the 1/2" thick plexi fits perfectly into the rabbet (like a glove) ... so assembly will be quick and painless.. More Freebies ... :D 8) ;) :thumbsup: Image

At least the windows will be Bear proof ... much more so than the .093" plexi from HD ... :thumbsup: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 am

Pics of my window in the Big thread... just FYI...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:29 am

Painting the window and frame ... Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies