Foamie windows ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamie windows ...

Postby GPW » Sat May 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Was going to get some Lil Bear windows , but I see they're for thinner walls ... :o Anybody know a place for good thrifty windows that will fit 2" thick Foamie walls ... Looking at the prices , a pair of windows would cost more than the entire Foamie did ... :shock:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sat May 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Try a Habitat Restore. They might have some small vinyl sliders as well as various salvaged sashes that might work.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Foamie windows ...

Postby Conedodger » Sun May 29, 2011 3:28 am

GPW wrote:Was going to get some Lil Bear windows , but I see they're for thinner walls ... :o

On the carbon covered camper build they rebated the foam so the thinner windows could be used.

Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Sun May 29, 2011 3:39 am

Nice picture. Cone' It gives another idea for flush mount windows! :applause:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: Foamie windows ...

Postby madjack » Sun May 29, 2011 4:57 am

Conedodger wrote:
GPW wrote:Was going to get some Lil Bear windows , but I see they're for thinner walls ... :o

On the carbon covered camper build they rebated the foam so the thinner windows could be used.

...oh, oh, oh, I like that :thumbsup: ...I guess I am going to havvta start following you foam-heads a little closer...
madjack
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 29, 2011 6:45 am

that is exactly how i wanted my windows. we have the cut in there, but i wanted the glass part to be on the inside so we could open and close at will. i wanted the screen on the outside. anyway, nice picture.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 29, 2011 6:46 am

Mad Jack , You're Most Welcome to join the Foamie folks , with your extensive experience and all .. :thumbsup: 8) :D
Cone , that looks like a good way ... :thinking: A router and a template would make quick work of that ...
Wagon , Thanks , forgot about those guys ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 29, 2011 8:14 am

Just a thought , Guess we could inset a piece of plexiglass or Lexan into the foam in those slots ... permanent ... :thinking: would be Thrifty !!! Maybe better for on a door ... where those little odd windows are More expensive ... :o
With the proposed vent ( I have to put a vent in ) I'd only need one screened opening window for ventilation , the rest could be inset ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 29, 2011 11:00 am

:thumbsup: plexiglass is the route i was going also. one of the tearjerker guys gave me 2 sheets of it. gpw..can you say free :D
just haven't figured out how to hold that stuff in there though. as i want to open them.
used old tent (free) and cut the mesh part out and made that my screen window part.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 29, 2011 12:03 pm

How about mounting the Plexiglass in a wooden frame then make an outer frame which glues in the foam , hinge those , maybe at the top like a Bermuda awning ... opens out ... Just another idea to throw into the mix... :thinking: Do we need a picture...???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 29, 2011 12:15 pm

do we need to ask? :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby DJT » Sun May 29, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm planning on using Lexan in a routered groove and probably a urethane sealant/adhesive (like what they use to hold modern windshields into cars) for my skylight. I just need to find out if it's available to the public or if I'll have to get it installed. 3M used to make a gooey black no hardening adhesive for attaching side moldings and emblems, but I can't seem to find it listed anywhere.
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 29, 2011 1:19 pm

DJ, try NAPA...

Eagle, Image
Last edited by GPW on Sun May 29, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Sun May 29, 2011 1:22 pm

DJT: Now at last there is something i can help you with. I sold my company (Linco plc) in 2001 and at that time it was one of the largest suppliers of windscreen adhesive (WA) in the UK (20000 tubes a month). Our product was own labelled as Autoline but was in fact made by Sika and Dinol.

Sika 256 is one i can remember and it contains 2.5% Naptha (Petrolium) and 12% xylene. We never tried it on foam but i eats certain products and I think foam will be one of them.

Funny story:

We were doing some batch testing and a salesman called in on the off chance to try to sell me some hand cleaner.

I said why didnt come through and i would talk to him while doing the tests. As a joke i asked "does your hand cleaner remove windscreen adhesive" and amazingly he said "yes, thats one of the main things it was designed for". Now, I have yet to see a a hand cleaner that works on WA so i said, "well if you can prove it I will buy a pallet"

He stuck out his hand and I put a small "dollup" of WA on his palm. Then Oh My God he rubbed his hands together to rub it all over while i shouted "No.........." but it was to late

He said "It OK, our magic juice will get it off, no problem"

He poured on some of the hand cleaner, then some more, anyway an hour later he left with the most black hands i have ever seen

I met up with him 3 months later and there were still dark patches on his hands.

The thing is windscreen adhesive does not just stick to skin it becomes part of it, almost like a tatoo, think of a permanant marker but 10 times worse.

So if you do use it BE CAREFUL and wear gloves, oh and by the way it eats latex :)
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun May 29, 2011 2:53 pm

I finally started cutting foam today and was planning on doing the windows the same as Cone's 'pink' pic above, but now I'm thinking of a hinged frame...lol.

Of course, it's got to be foam too....hmmm....

Sometimes I hate checking in here...

(j/k)
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies