3" 4x8 sheets

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

3" 4x8 sheets

Postby sandblaster » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:40 am

hello i'm sandblaster (alan) from n.c.. i have been reading on here everyday. (4-5-6- times a day). i've been looking for a larger trailer to start a project with and in my searching i have found a guy in s.c about 60 miles away from here that has 160 sheets of 3". i'm going to go get 10-12 sheets of it, and i thought that i would throw it out there for anyone who is close and wants some also.

here is the craigslist ad.

[url]http://greenville.craigslist.org/mat/2389269181.html

i emailed him and he said it is the density of blue board and has paper backing.

it looks like i am jumping in hard with both feet. i need at least a 12' standie, and the trailer i have found is a 14', so it looks like i'm going to start a big foamie. i will be asking lots of questions.[/url]
Last edited by sandblaster on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
sandblaster
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 3" 4x8 sheets

Postby Ratkity » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:52 am

sandblaster wrote:hello i'm sandblaster (alan) from n.c.. i have been reading on here everyday. (4-5-6- times a day). i've been looking for a larger trailer to start a project with and in my searching i have found a guy in s.c about 60 miles away from here that has 160 sheets of 3". i'm going to go get 10-12 sheets of it, and i thought that i would throw it out there for anyone who is close and wants some also.

here is the craigslist ad.

[url]http://greenville.craigslist.org/mat/2389269181.html

i emailed him and he said it is the density of blue board and has paper backing.

it looks like i am jumping in hard with both feet. i need at least a 12" standie, and the trailer i have found is a 14", so it looks like i'm going to start a big foamie. i will be asking lots of questions.[/url]

Great news on the foam!! I'm hoping you mean 12 ft and not 12 inch standy and I'm also hoping you are talking about the length and not the height LOL.

Congrats!! And always, we need :pictures:

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby sandblaster » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:59 am

sorry, i'm doing too many things while trying to type. which i'm not good at.

yes, 12' long standie. sort of a canned ham style.
sandblaster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ratkity » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:21 am

I'd be making typos just because of the excitement of finding 3" foam!!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby pat g » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 am

Welcome aboard sandblaster. Good of you to think of others on the foam offer. 3" should be nice and strong. Good luck with your build.

Pat G
pat g
Teardrop Master

Postby swampjeep » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:01 am

I found 7 sheets of 3" on CL locally too (different area), should be picking it up today, but still not sure when I can start my actual build, just picking up stuff when I see good deals LOL

My wife HATES when I do that, but...
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Conedodger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:06 am

Pods8 made his own hotwire cutter for making thinner sheets, might just work

What he posted was:

Same basic concept that is floating around the internet for a cheap hot wire power supply. Dimmer + transform putting power into a suitable wire. Most of the stuff I used was scraps laying around, I need to buy the transformer, fuse holder/fuses, and alligator clips.

120V input -> on/off switch (optional) -> dimmer -> fuse (optional) -> transformer: Then the transformer output goes to two wires with alligator clips to my cutting wire.

The on/off switch is optional if you just want to use the dimmer switch but with the on/off switch you can leave the dimmer set on the heat setting you want. You don't NEED a fuse but if you pull too many amps through the transformer you'll cook it, so I stuck an inline holder with a slow blow fuse in there for good measure. I happen to be using a 12V 3amp transformer from radio shack. Ideally a nickle chromoly welding wire supposedly cuts the best but I'm just using some 50lb rated stainless steel wire from homedepot that I could quickly/cheaply get and it's working fine for my needs.

The rest is just setting up a wire to do what you want. I have this wire setup between two bolts and have shims under the wire to dial in the ~1" thickness I wanted. Since I was cutting long sheets I wanted some guides to hold the foam down so that is what those two bar clamp across there for. The other clamps are just holding the cutting table down to the saw horses.
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby sandblaster » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:11 pm

my wife hates it too, but i'll buy stuff and put it up for later. this is a project the whole family can build together. myself, wife. 13 year old son. and twin 9 year old girls.
sandblaster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Nice find sand !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies