Subfloors?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:35 am

W2, That's always the Best idea ... encapsulation ... No matter what we use, we want it to last as long as possible ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby squatch » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:15 am

I like the idea of an insulated floor. That's a lot of the attraction of a foamy to me. That is cold weather camping.
That being said how about this; Starting with a 3/4 ply floor with 1x4 edge frame on top like I described above. After bonding the walls why not just lay a sheet of 1" or 2" foam on the ply floor(Glued) and then cover that with canvas. For just sleeping and such I would think a wood topper layer wouldn't even be needed. Maybe even do 2 layers of canvas. I'll probably cover my floor anyway with some light weight marine carpet glued on. That should keep down on the dents and such as well.
squatch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:25 am

SQ, In the old Van days , we'd lay down 4" of foam rubber on the 1/4" ply floor , then carpet on top stapled to the ply on the edges.. ... Pretty Comfortable for crawling around on and the floor never got cold ... Easy to stick the Styrofoam under the padding , but on top it does dent easily from knees , but then I'm like 240lbs. :o Everything dents easily under my weight .. :shock: :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies