Another foam standie...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:07 am

NICE pile of parts ... 8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm

you didn't strip the alum. and scrap it out? might have paid for the dumping LOL ok maybe not that much, but I was surprized how much it's worth.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 pm

I had thought about separating it because clean wood is almost free to dump here and that was most of the weight, but given the amount of work I decided that getting it done quickly was more important.
I would rather have my neighbours see the eyesore and the mess gone as quickly as possible, especially since sanding the foam is going to be such a mess...
It's definitely worthwhile to do it on a larger job though - the guy whose boat I'm working on right now just built a new house. The leftover copper from the demo of his old place paid for the dining room set. I didn't ask him about the numbers, but the new house is $3mil so you can bet the furniture wasn't cheap...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Re: Another foam standie...

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm pretty well done with the appliances now. The stove/oven has been cleaned out, tested, repaired and burns with a clean blue flame again. I repainted the rusting chrome trim with some BBQ paint, but I got matte instead of gloss...D'oh !
Oh well, it's still a huge improvement.

The fridge needs only a new electric element. I found them online but I'd rather buy from a local shop if it's not unreasonably expensive. Once that's in, I'll pack new insulation into the boiler housing and bob's yer uncle. If need be, that can wait till the next time I go to town (no RV shops here) since it works fine on gas.

In a recent windstorm, a couple of the jalousey windows blew over and some of the slats broke, but I can cannibalize one that was already broken to get two.

I got the first piece of glass onto the deck yesterday and I'll finish that today (pics when that's done). Once glassed, I'm going to pick up foam on Wed and start with the interior bulkhead and cabinet carcasses rather than doing the shell first. To give myself more room, I'll have 24-30" overhanging off the back of the deck, which is ok because my axle is a little aft of the midpoint anyway because I've built right up the bridle almost to the coupler....which also means I'm back to the original plan of a side entry, rear bed, and the head up forward. Just as well since I've got the floor drain under the toilet anyway and it would have gone to waste.
I can't keep up with all my own changes, lol. Fortunately, if I don't like it I can just hack up the foam and reglass it till it's what I want. It's only money...

I've been changing the heater idea a bit as well and I'm thinking about using one of the Coleman LPG demand water heater plumbed into the trailer's bottle.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Water-Dem ... B0009PURE0
I'll have the output valved to go either to a tap at the sink or to a bus heater in the cabin. I still need to find out the max inlet temp of those units since it will be recirculating warm water when I'm using it as a heater.
Or maybe a closed loop of propylene glycol and do something else for hot water ?
I have one of these as well that I was thinking about using to fire a boiler (copper coil) and put it all into the stripped-out metal housing of my non-working furnace.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200000412 ... B0009PUR5E
It wouldn't have flame-out protection because there's no provision for a thermocouple, but it would be in a housing on the outside rather than inside the cabin. Though a temperature switch in the coolant line could close a gas solenoid once the coolant temperature dropped (like the heater in a car)... I do have a line on a bulkhead mounted Force 10 LPG furnace, but I'm not crazy about unattended combustion inside a trailer made of a foam that gives off a toxic stew if it burns...and styro likes to burn.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

March 4...Pt 2

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Another design change now that I'm getting to where I have to start cutting ideas out of foam and making them permanent and something that hasn't really been kicked around yet:

Slide outs.

It's really the only way I can see to give myself enough room for a full length bed AND the cabin I want. I plan to have a full-width slide out for the footwell of the bed. It will slide out 24-30" from the back wall, probably on some heavy duty drawer slides. I had thought about making my own roller assemblies using aluminum H section as a carrier for rollers cut from UHMW dowel and riding in alum U channel top and bottom, but it I have seen drawer slides used for tool drawers in pickup beds and they are also used for underslung battery trays...so I know I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel....not that that's a bad thing...
I'm planning around a minimum capacity of 200lbs or so at full extension for the foam structure, plywood sandwich floor and two sets of legs. I'm not allowing for a 50lb dog who likes to sleep at the foot of the bed as well...she'll be on the floor.

Thoughts,opinions, ideas ?
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:52 pm

slide outs are a good way to get extra space like you say I have been considering them for a few of my ideas
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Drawer slides would work for slide outs that won't cary human weight. that sounds like what you are describingm for the most part ( I have been thinking about the same type of thing myself). In another thread, Tom (of the silver Beatle) posted a link to a source of drawer slides. Here is one that would work: http://www.knapeandvogt.com/8910_Extra- ... etails.766 It locks in both the open and closed positions.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks for the link - those slides are just what I need. My weight requirements are well within those capabilities.
When they talk about bearing people's weight, I think they refer more to use for things like retracting steps...kinda like when you see 'not for lifting persons' on a 2 ton chain hoist or 'not for climbing' on those little $2 carabiners at the hardware store. Lol...gotta protect the stupid from themselves I guess.
They are available in lengths up to 5' as well, so there are lots of build options when the time comes.

Unfortunately, it hasn't stopped raining here today, so glassing is off the menu. At least I can make some calls and try to track down that fridge heater I need...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:12 am

Not sure if I would call call today a success or not, lol.
I'm building outside so I've been keeping an eye on the weather. I'm on the west coast of BC, so we get a fair bit of rain this time of year: not conducive to laying up fiberglass....
Yesterday was a write-off but this morning looked promising - some big ugly clouds cruising around but some light patches and not much wind. I keep my glassing stuff in a tote so I can keep it warm indoors but can take it all outside at once when I get a break in the weather. After about an hour of doing other jobs while waiting for the weather to make up its mind, I figured "Ok, let's do it !".
I got the stuff together, got the tarps off the trailer, and mixed enough epoxy to make the rest of the fillets and to wet out the cloth for the rest of the floor. Once I had committed to the job by mixing the resin and hardener, Ol' Man Murphy reared his ugly head: it began to HAIL and the wind picked up.....

@#$%^&^%$# !!!!!!!

I scrambled around resetting the tarps as a canopy and used some 2X4s as tent poles. Except for a few drips that meant keeping a towel handy, I caught it in time and the wind wasn't strong enough to do anything to the tarps.
I separated half of the resin I had mixed and set it aside - fortunately the temps are cool enough right now that I have hours of working time before the resin gels. I mixed filler in to make the compound for the fillets - because the cloth can't make a 90 degree corner, this gives the inside corner between the floor and the wall a rounded radius. It also acts like an adhesive to make that joint stronger.

[It was dark when I got done, but I'll edit a filleting pic into here]

Once the fillets were done, I was on to laying the last two pieces of glass onto the floor. Now, I have a floor that's 5' wide and the remaining space is 9' long. I figured I'd do the glass across the floor in three 3' strips with an inch of overlap, so I bought 5yds of 6oz cloth - yet the third piece is about a foot too short to make it all the way across.

As it is, the last piece isn't critical anyway because it's the back corner of the floor and the cabinetry going in there will be structurally stronger than anything I do to the floor. I need to get more cloth anyway, but...grumble grumble grumble.... :x :x :x

I can cut up what's left of that piece into tape to join the seams in the wall panels, which is the plan for next weekend. A bit of good news: despite being built in 1972, the 110V heating element I want to put in the fridge in lieu of the original 12V one is a stocked part. It's $80, which is about twice what McMaster-Carr sells them for.
Even though the Canadian dollar is at par, our prices are still higher..... :lol:

In other news, I was offered this trailer today:
If I can tow it out, I can have it. Despite the local kids having gotten at it, it's got registration and the suspension looks good from what I cold see crawling underneath without a flashlight (the tires aren't even flat !)
Obviously the shell will go to the dump, but it's got a stove/oven, a huge 8 cu ft fridge, and a furnace that works...apparently :roll:
Still, it IS a tandem and he's got 2 40# bottles and a glass cover for them, though they're probably expired. I guess he used it as a camp trailer while he was working remotely (hence the huge LPG bottles) and had local water so the tanks were ripped out and a small freezer built into the front wall. The lights are all there and the awning hardware looks ok (the cloth is trashed)

I don't even have space to build the one I have, nor do I have the truck to move this one.
Somehow I don't think my very-tolerant wife would appreciate the humour in "it followed me home, can I keep it ?"
:lol: :lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:20 am

Sure a Great trailer find ... Free stuff is always good !!! Just tell the wife it’ll only take a couple days to strip it down to the good stuff and haul away the rubbish ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:03 am

it could be worse

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby SteveW » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Aluminum fetches a pretty nice price at scrap yards these days.
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 am

As the Slowest Foamie Build marches on...

Built a layup table to start making the panels. These are the biggest single panels I'll need at 4X8 each, so I can to lay up all of the panels on here and then make sort of a basket mold by setting up a temporary framework on the trailer deck to hold the foam in place while the resin in the joints cures. When we built the sail boat, it was all out of 1 1/2 X 3" cove-and-bead foam 'planks' that were secured to the mold the same way: through-drill the frame and the coarse thread of drywall screws holds the foam in place until the outer glass is on. Then, pull the screws and dismantle the frame from inside and glass the inside. Unlike a boat, I won't have to flip this one over to glass the inside !
I'm glassing both the inside and the outside of the panels on the table, with a final bias ply of sheathing to smoothen everything on the outside and give it a little more puncture resistance. The inside seams will only be taped because there will be some sort of covering on them (probably KiwiGrip with a smooth roller). The less fairing, the better !

The seams are glued with thickened resin and will be backed up with a strip of tape inside and out in a rabbet I'll sand into the foam. That way, the tape won't leave a bump when the sheathing goes on over top. I will have to add more microballoons than fibers to the adhesive mix when I start doing the corner joints otherwise I'll get a hard spot that won't fair in properly. Fortunately, the glass sheathing and extra tape at the joints will make up for the weaker adhesive mix.

These are the two biggest panels, 4 2'X8's into 2 4'X8's. I could have just bought 4X8 panels but the tape in the seams will help with the overall layup. The table is a gusseted 2X4 frame with ply top and wrapped in plastic so nothing sticks. The ply (1/4") will become the 4'X4' sandwich panel for the slideout for the footwell of the bed.
To prove that I AM actually making some progress ('cause it didn't happen otherwise!)
The gap between the foam and the steel uprights was taken up with a long strip of 1/4" ply. Wedges between the strip and the uprights provide and adjustable clamping force against the ply plates at the back. With epoxy, you have to be careful not to overclamp and squeeze all the resin out.

One of the things I'm still mulling over is how best to make the door jamb. I'm going to form the jamb in foam and glass it with aluminum bar stock incorporated for fastening hinges and striker plate. The jamb will be glued to the outside of the wall panel so it sits 1" proud of the wall. The forward edge will blend into the nose cone and I'll chamfer the aft edge down to the plane of the wall. Instinctively, I want to jamb the door in wood but at the same time I don't want the weight (a pound here, a pound there...).
Instead of a regular door latch & striker, I'm going to flush mount one of these:

Hey droid, you want to take another stab at putting up that pic ?
I'm curious now...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 am

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks - too funny.
My dog would do that with a bear if she got the chance.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies