foam builds (foamies that have been built or in the process)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: foam builds (foamies that have been built or in the proc

Postby TJinPgh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:24 am

Probably a somewhat better idea than I had about using a hollow core door for the bed platform.

I'm curious what you had in mind for the "reinforcing strips."

I'd think that anything strong enough to provide any real structural support in that sort of configuration would also be quite heavy. By the time you'd placed enough of them around the frame to be effective you might negate any benefit you'd gain by using the foam.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:08 am

Reinforcing strips .... canvas , fiberglass, carbon fiber, Kevlar ... not that heavy ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:42 am

The above drawing ^ was posted in an attempt to design a STRONG torsion box assembly , for the entire “box” portion of the trailer cabin ,the part that would fit within the steel “box”/railings on a carry on trailer . The upper part would be traditional Foamie construction (already proven ) , and the ENTIRE shell would be over covered with a strong skin ... With the proper wood selection , weight would be minimized without compromising the “structural” integrity ... Hybrid Foamie construction is fully Acceptable , and a great compromise between strength vs. weight ... :thumbsup:

One has only to peruse the Vintage plans pages on this site to realize the benefits of Canvas or fabric coverings... The Old Timers used them with great success many years ago , without the benefit of modern adhesives and coatings... Pretty much a standard thing for them , tradition lost due to the introduction and marketing of fiberglass..
The skins are an essential part of the Foam "torsion box”/ panel , the reinforcing strips just make it that much Stronger ... Remember about what “twice as thick “ means ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 am

This morning I got a chance to study a carry on trailer up close ... (parked next to one ) seems the box uprights were square tubing with angle iron welded to the top ... Lots of ways possible to bolt a “floorbox + lip “ to it ... Looked Easy !!! Even easy to bolt some angle braces outside the box , if needed ... Their floor was the mesh that somebody put a plywood floor over , the plywood already showing signs of deterioration (obviously Not waterproofed)
Nice to be able to get a close look ... all was revealed ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 am

GPW wrote:This morning I got a chance to study a carry on trailer up close ... (parked next to one ) seems the box uprights were square tubing with angle iron welded to the top ... Lots of ways possible to bolt a “floorbox + lip “ to it ... Looked Easy !!! Even easy to bolt some angle braces outside the box , if needed ... Their floor was the mesh that somebody put a plywood floor over , the plywood already showing signs of deterioration (obviously Not waterproofed)
Nice to be able to get a close look ... all was revealed ... ;)

:D
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:25 am

I'm not fond of how they do the tongue on it but they are much better built than the HF ones you have to put together and not much higher in price either. Louella got the bigger one with the 13" tires and an actual A shaped tow bar and jack included which is a much better built trailer than the ones with the single rectangular tube coming out tow bar. Suggestion for anyone that has the single tube one look at where the tow bar ends at one of the inner cross rails. When you put your frame over it make sure you drill and bolt through across that cross member and it will strengthen your tow bar a lot more as if you get it loaded it can bend if not bolted.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:29 am

actually this one has the 15" tires.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:39 pm

That's going to be a pretty heavy trailer then. Is the rail height 9" or 12"?
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Re:

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:13 pm

[album][album][/album][/album]
eaglesdare wrote:wow, just look at all that foam!
yes, please keep up updated on this.

You betcha on the foam ........ sad the supplier of the foam panels is now gone with economy downturn a few years ago :cry:
I have only ten panels left for the enlarging of the trailer soon .... well I hope soon.
This box made from this bunch of panels have over Thirty Thousand Miles on them :D
It is Spartan on the inside at this time; but the widening later will change that :twisted:

I will take more pictures as I redo the trailer :worship: ;)

FOAMIES ARE GREAT :D Warm in the winter and Cool in the hot Summer :applause:

I will take more pictures a Beaver Bend ...... now If I can add the pictures to Sketckup and super-impose the changes I would post :)

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 pm

:applause: :applause: :wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:11 am

Eagle , what’s the story ? How’s it going ? Weather holding you up ? Just Curious !!!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:21 am

weather not good here. rain most weekends and during the week. too darn cold, with rain. yesterday snow and too darn cold. but they say we should be getting back up to the 70's by thursday? haven't checked this weekends weather report yet. not much happens during the week here, so we count on the weekends with nice weather. although, hubby is still working on his shed, so that puts the wood removal off a bit. (this is something too hard for me, so has to do it. )
but we both want to go back to lowes this week. i will probably leave simba home so i can shop.
now if that weather does get back up close to 70 i will go out back and see what foam i can salvage and start working on the wings, and making the level area for the build weekend. its not too far away you know.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 am

QUOTE: " its not too far away you know.” .... I Know !!!! :o :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:58 am

i should go out there and take a pic of the doors for the shed hubby built. they are his foam doors tb2'd convered in canvas :D
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:40 am

Hubby’s doors ... ??? :pictures: ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies