foam builds (foamies that have been built or in the process)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:11 am

is that duck tape and foam?

hmm, i wonder if i rolled duct tape completely around my foam, and i mean completely around, even under the trailer, then cover with canvas, if that would relieve my fears of it blowing off the trailer. no need for the cinch straps then.

:thinking:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16 am

Eagle , Na Unh ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Colemancooler » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 am

Colemancooler
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:33 am

that is why i was aksing if it was duct tape, it sure did seem silver.

all in all, i think it was pretty cool.

i remember seeing a tent/camper built with duct tape. made a cool family project. i think that was posted on these boards somewhere.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:30 am

OK , here we are ... Time to discuss eagle’s Box trailer idea ... and here’s a drawing of the side structure of the lower box ,that fits inside the steel box/cage ... Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:44 am

And a rough sketch of a possible interior layout ... for your consideration ... and that’s just for one wall ... the other wall could have many functional applications .. another Big cargo net , a folding table/desk .. clothes hangers... lots of possibilities ... Image

Sorry for the bad scan ... my drawing was too large .. :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 am

ok you all know i am not technical and i never built anything, and i can be dense as all get out sometimes, but, what holds that lip up? where you have your dotted lines, that lip, what holds it up?
shirley not the canvas and sock way?

and gpw, please be nice. don't make me :cry:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:14 am

Hey a microcamper without the storage lol......so the box concept will start winning eventually due to people not wanting to waste the space the tear shape cuts out of the cabin. Now you were discussing wood for where it will sit on the trailer frame but I'd suggest getting some like 1/8" angle aluminum and run it in that corner so that you have a durable metal surface for the weight and rubbing to happen on and never have to worry about anything rotting or failing plus the aluminum is light. I like this layout a lot places everything in the cabin. I had a camper with a 6' long cabin for the bed and it was so very cramped where I had to lay diagonal in it to be comfortable and I'm only 5'6" so couldn't imagine a 6' trying so I'd lean toward 6'6" or 7' on the width and try to keep the height as low as possible as that's where real wind drag will kill your towing.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:20 am

One thing Glen structurally I use the storage and flat floor above it to create the strength for the box to support itself outside the trailer structure where you have the wings and the bed laid out. What will be supporting the side wall weight outside of the trailer? I don't see it working without some kind of external bracing in place. Easiest would be go to a welder and have them add the structure to the trailer rails and then just bolt the box all around outside and bottom floor and that sucker would never move a millimeter.

Without beams across at the height of the bed the outer extensions will collapse without some form of bracing.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:45 am

saaay, that Aluminum angle is a great idea for runners !!! :thumbsup: 8)

Depending how one wanted to mount the cabin to the box trailer , it would be be possible to bolt the upper lip directly to the steel box frame ... the upper cabin would be just the usual Foamie construction resting on that ... light and little stress on the lips ... BUT, welded , or even bolted on brackets are available and perhaps not a bad idea ... If the cabin were to be made removable , then the extended brackets would probably be beneficial ... this is all assuming the cabin will be bolted to the box trailer floor also ... lots of little details to figure out ... :thinking:

Steve , I think the Microcamper is just an ideal shape ... very little wasted space , streamline (sorta’) 8)

For many years as a youth (some time ago) my bed was a hollow core door , with 4 legs on it and a 4" foam pad ... It never sagged ... Framing of some sort would be necessary on a plywood bed floor .. guess I didn’t draw the center support correctly .... must have been a bad pencil ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:55 am

alright you guys work this out and then put it to me in my terms. i have no idea what you two just said. :lol:

although, i think i did pick up on having the side support welded on. which would be good, if i knew of a welder.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:55 am

Nah I'm not worried about the bed supporting but those outer walls. I meant my floor going all the way across which is my bed floor anyways is where the strength comes from to support the outer walls beyond the trailer frame. Even though it is foam it will have weight and without that added structure due to the floor being dropped and open, you will have to brace the outsides or it will eventually crack and shear past the angle runners to the outside of the shelf extension.

The supporting the bed is a trivial matter indeed :shock:

January and marble size hail is falling outside my window go figure.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:57 am

would those corner bracket metal pieces work for this? i don't really know what they are called. but we are only talking about a 6" lip, and i have seen those brackets, they come in different sizes. maybe there is one that is 6"?

any way would those work? a couple on the outside and a couple on the inside?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:27 am

Why not ? The more you “braceâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:54 am

the overhang lip will be the 6" right? to make a 6 foot out of the 5 foot trailer.
so i guess it will be a 10" section, 2" attached to wall(foam), 2" on rail, and 6 for the lip.

I am right?

i am thankful for this bit of chatter, because i would have gone straight to a 6" piece of wood and attached it only to the rail. gosh,, i am learning so much from these builds. :D

did you all know that KERF is an answer to a question on the asvab test? i only got it right because of these boards. remember when i first reported about doing that on my build, i was calling them "scores/scoring". :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies