Foamies that .. Float ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby droid_ca » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:28 am

here's a link to a site of one of the previous posted pictures
http://dornob.com/aquatic-caravan-float ... -ready-rv/
hopefully we can get some ideas going
:twisted: :twisted: :worship:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby inventing_man » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Busy working , thats for sure anyway. Just wish it was on MY stuff :cry: I've got some vacation time coming soon though. Wanted to donate some of that toward the build. Right now I'm scavenging materials as it comes along . So far I have some Aluminum Tread plate and some fiberglass mat . Seen some Dow 1 inch blue foam board on C list for cheap too.
That little boat vid I posted cost me 37 dollars ! I'm a cheap SOB! :twisted:
inventing_man
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:38 am

Scavenging materials ... that's the Foamie "spirit"... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby inventing_man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:35 pm

droid_ca wrote:here's a link to a site of one of the previous posted pictures
http://dornob.com/aquatic-caravan-float ... -ready-rv/
hopefully we can get some ideas going
:twisted: :twisted: :worship:

Water ready RV! Now that sums it up nicely . A WRRV? Or RVWR ? :thinking: RVWR sounds more like "river' So I'll go with that . :thumbsup:
Snagged up 2 more 30 gal poly drums today . Washed them out real good They had biodegradable degreaser soap in them . I'm going to paint them when I get all of them ( have 3 , need 5 more) With Krylon Fusion plastic paint . Most likely in blue. But Camo crossed my mind too .
I'm looking at a bow drive using 2 , 110 volt electric commercial blower fan motors in tandem with a belt drive to the prop . The whole thing pulls up from the Pilot podium to get the prop out of the water and nested safely up into the foam flotation undercarriage so its protected . It s just a frame mounted pivot tube that the Motor mounts and prop hub mount tube runs through With a steering wheel mounted on top . Using set collars to set the amount of travel and a T handle to lock the shaft in the up position. All it will look like is a square box with a steering wheel on top. and a vented door on one side for access . The Box conceals the motors and belts And the travel from stored to running depth is 16 inches. So the motors in the box move up and down 16 inches. The belts will be shrouded so water cant get slung all over the place and with a drain pan to catch it and send it back overboard . Its real simple using electric motors ! to reverse thrust just turn the wheel 180 degrees . If I could find a used outboard motor "foot" it could speed up the propulsion part of this build .
I was doing a study on Aluminum ladders earlier today And where I might find a structural use . HAHA I found Lots ! Namely the folding structure for the pontoons . The holes in the tubes that make up the ladder rungs , Perfect pivot attachments with arms for the pontoon outriggers . Already made just cut to length .
inventing_man
Teardrop Inspector

Postby droid_ca » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:10 pm

do you have any pictures of your design

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby squatch » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Somewhere around here i have a pic of a commercial made(at least I think it was) fiberglass travel trailer/boat. We saw it launch at a boat ramp in the Potomac river several years ago while doing a canoe float trip. I just hope it was a better camper than boat! Very unimpressive performance on the water. If the current had been strong i doubt it would have gone back upstream under it's own power. It looked similar to a Scamp Trailer. I'll try to dig a picture out and scan it.

A couple of years ago I was watching a show about teardrops on TV and someone had a TT that had a snap on dinghy for a roof or roof cover. It was a V hull and made the trailer pretty aerodynamic and it snapped on top of the fiberglass camper with tension buckles. Really nice design and quick to put on take off.
squatch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby inventing_man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 pm

droid_ca wrote:do you have any pictures of your design

No Just the drawing on page 2 for now.
inventing_man
Teardrop Inspector

Postby inventing_man » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:29 am

Here is a web site that offers some ideas on the folding pontoon concept
http://www.rollingbarge.com/party-barge.htm
And here's a floating trailer concept
http://www.rollingbarge.com/party-barge.htm
Both of these are way heaver and bigger than I plan on , but with the fold out tent extensions, it will seem larger. The extensions can be just awnings , shading the walk around deck that makes up the folding pontoon arms. or extended and fastened to the pontoon framing providing extra sheltered space . Adding about 4 foot to each side . The pontoons extend the length of the trailer ,so when folded , need to clear the tail of the truck for turns. So 4 foot fold down arms clear the pontoons from the truck , and provide the extra space when unfolded .
Roughly a living quartes foot print of 13 x 8 feet , and a total foot print on the water of 13 x 13 ft
Neat how that worked out :)
inventing_man
Teardrop Inspector

Postby droid_ca » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:33 pm

what about propeller blades that are directed up to provide lift as well as thrust to give you the hydrofoil effect essentially the way a hovercraft is made...... or not I just saw a silly video on it gave me the idea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vnpTqEZOWQ

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:53 am

What about using an electric trolling motor ? ... They're pretty inexpensive and should be strong enough to putt around a lake with ... They'll push a heavy Bass boat around ... Maybe some solar panels on the top to help recharge the battery ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies