Foamies and wind

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamies and wind

Postby elginrunner » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:38 am

My wife and I are just chomping at the bit to build a tear drop. When I saw the possibility of the foamy tear, I just knew it had to be.

My question is, Has anyone experienced any strong winds while towing their foamy yet?? Where I'd go camping, I'd have to cross the delta in eastern Arkansas where flat line winds often tip over big trucks with solid trailers.
elginrunner
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Foamies and wind

Postby starleen2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm

elginrunner wrote:My wife and I are just chomping at the bit to build a tear drop. When I saw the possibility of the foamy tear, I just knew it had to be.

My question is, Has anyone experienced any strong winds while towing their foamy yet?? Where I'd go camping, I'd have to cross the delta in eastern Arkansas where flat line winds often tip over big trucks with solid trailers.

I fear that with those kinds of winds ANY thing is going to tip over - no matter if it is a foamie or a huge RV. However, most campers get towed at 60 + mph and do just fine. I have a lightweight camper (not made of foam) but less than 1000 lbs and have camped in your area many time with no problem at all - I think that most people think that lightweight and foam tend to get blown around a lot - I've seen many a camper take a lot before it tips over - in fact I wager that it would it have to be catastrophic failure to happen before it every got blown over!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Now the idea has been put forth that Foamies with their very low Center of gravity , would probably be even harder to blow over than most any RV which always seem top heavy with cabinets and appliances mounted high , and all the stuff on the roof , like a AC ... :o ... Makes sense eh ???

The more rounded the TD , the less likely it is to "catch" the wind... the air just flows smoothly over it ... :thumbsup:

Besides , several people here have already built Foamies, travelled all over , camped in them multiple times , and never was a report of any problems ... at all 8)
If you're worried , just do like most of the folks here suggest and carry more gear (or Beer) ... Foamies should have an incredible cargo carrying capacity , since the cabins are so Light ... bring More of Everything .. Drag along your cast iron too ... Ballast up ...

Funny , we used to be concerned with too heavy a trailer ... now it's just the opposite ... :o :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies