adhesion level of myriad samples

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Mike , that’s Great News in the Adhesion Dept ... :thumbsup: 8) :applause: Paint it is !!! ... Funny thing is , if we shop the Sale Paint , it could be cheaper than the T2... and already the right color !!! :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: adhesion level of myriad samples

Postby ghcoe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Anyone try Minwax Polycrylic protective finish? I use it to "glass" my A/C aircraft. I usually just coat onto the raw foam but have used it with fabric and tissue paper to create a hard shell that protects the foam from damage. It is water based and seems to stick real well to my models which have a glossy surface. What I like about it is that you can sand it once it is dry. I can get a nice smooth surface with sanding if I get any blems, which usually happens when I use cloth or tissue for a covering. It does say it is for interior use only but I thought that once you get a nice surface you could then coat it with a good glossy paint such as rustolum or such. Rustolum is also sandable once cured.

Also I was curious if in your test you were applying the material with a brush or a roller? When I apply the polycrylic I use a roller because one it will squish the coating into the cloth to help saturate through and two, it applies a nice thin coat. In real fiber glassing, you want the cloth to be wetted with no extra resin. The cloth is where the strength is, not in the resin. More resin than needed just adds weight not strength. I believe the same would apply with this technique.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:36 pm

I've used a roller and a brush.

With the roller you have to be careful that the canvas doesn't move around under your roll, or lift up from the foam. You'll have a lot more control with the brush, but of course, it'll take longer.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 am

So, Mike , How’s your Foamie coming along ??? We ALL want to know !!! Plus :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 am

any bubbles? see if no one else is getting bubbles, then i am doing something really strange here. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 am

Mike, I did a 6 oz. fiberglass cloth/epoxy resin on foam test awhile back (can't find the thread right now). I let it cure for the full 24 hours before I tested it. It was stuck solid. No way was it ever coming off without destroying the foam. It was also very rigid and fairly abrasion/puncture resistant. I punched it pretty good a few times and it barely left an imprint.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 am

Now what about that Glidden Grabber < $25/gal. @ HD :roll: :thinking: 8) .. just for we Fabric folks ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:33 am

i was hoping our lowes carried that stuff. but no such luck, i suppose that is a hd item. so i will take a ride one of these days up there. but i need to make the trip worth while, gotta come up with a list of things to check out or buy first. shouldn't be too hard for me to do such a thing, as to make a shopping list. :lol: but seriously, i hate to make that trip for just one item.
i checked with our ace and they don't have it either. we do have a paint store, don't know the name, so i will check them first before going up to hd. (hd is an hour away). i would really like to try this stuff out.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:54 am

me too ... cheaper than T2 and a primer too ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:18 pm

tb2 is coming down in price now. i just bought some and it was 17. plus change. (plus my 10% dis). when i first started tb2 was in the mid/upper 20's. but still, that plus primer.
i knew it wouldn't be too hard for me to figure out another reason to drive up there. i am going to go to michael's, its right next to hd. want to get some foam pumpkings and try my hand at corpsing.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Got my gallon of Gripper @ HD !!! :thumbsup: Looks like they have plenty of stock .... for now :roll: .... got the white ... they had gray too .... just figured the white would better match the canvas ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:56 pm

GPW, I'm sure you as a painter know this but the grey primer makes a better undercoat for rich/darker colors. Used grey gripper on the navy blue trim strips and caps on my Road Foamie and it works great... Good adhesion and good primer coat... Oh, BTW, clean up any stray paint on your skin pretty quickly. They don't call it Gripper for nothing... just about scrubbed my skin off trying to get if off my forearms :shock: :shock: Glad I had gloves on while using it... :o :o
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:39 am

Thanks , I have a box of cheap plastic gloves , and will use them !!! :thumbsup:

No dark colors here ... Warmer here mostly , so light colors are the way to go !!! The black paint on my Camo Foamie got up to 145F during the summer ... :o The lighter colors were MUCH cooler !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 am

Here's a link to one of redveloce's recent posts in his
'Foamie Jeep Camper Hardtop' thread that deals with
the adhesion of various combinations:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=986565#p986565

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:42 am

Wonder what he did with the Gripper to not get the results others got ?? Anybody read the can ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies