FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Those look great!

This time of year, vegetables tend to spontaneously combust around here! :sweaty:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:15 am

We found these self-watering containers really help keep the plants hydrated during our intense Heat ...saves a Lot of watering too... :thumbsup: The containers work and are cheaper than those decorative flower pots ... That don’t work as well...
Just figured if I ate better food , the old brain would work better, and I could design better campers ... :thinking: (and it tastes much better too) ;)

Information can be found on You Tube by typing in “self watering garden containers” ... Lots to choose from ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:17 am

I did a square foot garden with multiple beds back in 2011 when we moved back into my wife's families home from the RV. Spent the spring watering 3 times a day at the beginning just to keep the beds moist. Then the daily rains started! Half the plants rotted from the wet. Gave it up and now just raid the b-i-l's garden. He plants enough for the entire neighborhood.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:02 pm

OD1, we started gardening in regular pots , spent all my time watering , just so you could pour it in the top and it would drain immediately right out the bottom , along with all the nutrients we bought to add to the soil :o ... Figured that was unproductive, and a waste of good rainwater and my energy . Plants didn’t best care for it either. The new containers don’t require Near the work or time , sort of a closed loop system , nothing goes to waste , and with the drain hole , nothing ever gets over-watered... like today when it’s been raining all day so far ... :rainy: Plants growing like Crazy now !!! :D

The best part , is the garden stuff shipped in Nice cardboard boxes , so now I can get started on my scale Zephyr model ... Sort of feeling the “itch" for a new trailer build ... :roll: ... and as we know , this could take some time ... got a box of popcicle sticks for framing ... The idea is to come up with a roomy streamline trailer like the FoamStream, but with a Lot less work ... 8)

At Vinnies’ today , were talking of other uses for the CNC machine .... I mentioned FoamStream rib kits ... he said that was possible , already having the programming on hand.... in case anybody is interested... just passing the word on ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:59 pm

How are yours self watering ? Do you have a hose hooked up to each pot ?
or do they have a false bottom ?

GPW wrote:We found these self-watering containers really help keep the plants hydrated during our intense Heat ...[u]saves a Lot of watering too..
tac422
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:35 am

Tac, I fill them with water, then they water themselves... Lately with all our Rain , I don’t even need to fill them ... :o They can be rigged with a supply bucket and tubing to connect them all and truly be self watering ... :thinking: (you Tube videos cover all this ) Keeping mine Simple ... ;)
Yesterday I brought Vinnie a set up SW bucket to grow his herbs in (no , not those :roll: ) for Pizza making... He’s not much of a gardener, (previously unlucky) ... maybe this will change his Luck ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:11 am

Just a quick update ... I parked the FS under (near) a big Crepe Myrtle tree, and now found a bit of mildew (or something) on the FS roof ... :o Have to wash that off and move the trailer a bit ... :duh: Everything else checks out fine ... Looks like no need for the FS this year ( touch wood) :phew:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:06 am

season is not over yet GPW.

:wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:25 am

Eagle , Fingers crossed , Rabbit’s foot , Lucky candle ... Hope Everybody is Lucky this year ... :roll: Would be Nice huh ? :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Since the outdoor growing season here in the Sierras is so short and the critters (deer, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, etc) love to eat what little that does grown, I've been looking into hydroponics. I know that many "herb" growers use hydroponic systems but that's not what I'm after. Some herbs for cooking, tomatoes, zucchini squash, mint for the wife's mojitos, snow peas and the like. I'd have to commandeer the guest room to do it so HRH is somewhat resistant. Maybe if I start small and let it slowly expand... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:27 am

...or build that foamie 5th wheel and turn it into a grow box. :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:51 am

Mel, I’d really recommend some type or wicking box or bucket system... We’re really having great Luck with the Earth boxes and Global buckets . Very low maintenance , very much less watering , growing containers up off the ground, away from the critters, and you can move them about easily (some come with casters) . ;) ... many videos on You Tube on Earth Boxes and global buckets ... take your pick ... They really work and don’t require much attention. More time to relax!!! :thumbsup: :beer:

Ps. My goal is NOT to become a Farmer, but just have a small garden out the kitchen window ... :D The cooking herbs are easy to grow, and really are expensive at the grocery ... That little savings alone buys more :beer: ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby steveonzakon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:18 am

You could build a greenhouse out of scavenged outdoor rated french doors and windows. I just picked six doors and several windows from a construction site, all double pane glass, and am making a 6x8 greenhouse out of them. You could use foam for insulation wherever there isn't glass and put a little heater in it to keep the frost off.
Campers are for sleeping in, almost everything else should happen outside.
steveonzakon
Teardrop Builder

Postby GoTurtleGo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Hello again GPW,

After finishing the BIG thread, I of course read your simple build and now your complicated build with great interest. Obviously both are full of great information about putting all your foaming ideas into practice, but I learned even more reading the build so I am even more excited about the whole concept.

Like many people I read on here, I have to wait a bit to get started and it is VERY hard to be patient. Meanwhile I am drawing, making a build order excel sheet, and continuing to dream.

Thank you for starting all this fun and madness,
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:19 am

Glad you’re having Fun Turtle !!! :D 8) :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies