FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:11 am

27F here right now :frightened: .... Unusually early for this foolishness :roll: ... May have to go sit in the FS and run the little heater to warm up .... Brrrrrrr!!!!
Hope everybody is Warm and safe ... !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:55 am

GPW wrote:27F here right now :frightened: .... Unusually early for this foolishness :roll: ... May have to go sit in the FS and run the little heater to warm up .... Brrrrrrr!!!!
Hope everybody is Warm and safe ... !!!

:thumbsup: I had almost the same thought. I have a small marine heater (electric) and thought about keeping the Nookery warm. Sort of like a warming station. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:00 am

Bonnie , I’ve been up in your area when it was really COLD (for me) ... :o Wish we could pull the FS in the Studio and just move "the office” (laptop and coffee) inside ... that would get nice and Toasty with just that little milk house heater of mine ... Thinking the Nookery' will heat quickly and provide quick relief from this early Winter display ... it’s not even Winter yet eh ?? What’s to come ??? :o :snowstorm:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jeffrey » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:12 pm

Hey guys/gals.... i guess im late to the party,,,plus im a new,,,nice and shiny!
Anyway there are to many pages and threads to go through here , or even want to for that matter, but i have hand built a handfull of canoes using the "stripe plank method", as well as have a good background of whats called the "sticht and glue" method. has anyone been sucsessfull with either of these?
jeffrey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Strip planking with foam has been kicked around. Personally, I was on a crew that built a 56' epoxy sailboat that way by putting a cove and bead on each edge of 1.5" foam 'planks'.

Stitch and glue isn't really appropriate here because the 'stitches' aren't needed.

Read through the big "Thrifty" thread (at least enough to get an idea of what's going on) and you'll see how these things go together, what works and what doesn't. That thread has become something of a 'rite of passage' for foamies - most of the questions one could think of have already been answered there. There's lots of good experience here, from engineers to boat and aircraft builders, to people with plenty of miles on their foamies.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:49 am

WW, yeah , we figured everything Foamie' was discussed already in the Big thread , so that’s why it’s been quiet around here.... That and there’s Snow covering half the country , so really not the best time for camping .... or building , unless you have a nice heated shop ... :roll:

Jeff , you “could” try any building method you want :thinking: ... Foam is very friendly to use for most any method ... Around here we’ve pretty much been using foam sheets which is easy and readily available , and requires no internal framing if properly designed.... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jeffrey » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:48 am

thx for the info guys. i'll have to check that thread out. i like the idea of using foam, easy to work with, can be covered with fiberglass and resin. but how in the world do you attech to a trailer frame? ...lots to learn so little time :?
jeffrey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:34 am

No matter what you do, you're going to need to incorporate some wood for hard points, since foam won't take the compression loading from through-bolting and doesn't hold a screw very well. Again, that's covered in the big the big thread. We should probably carry this on over there anyway so as not to hijack GPW's thread.

GPW, I hear you ! I'm on the west coast where 'winter' means warm and wet...and here I am waiting for it to climb above freezing so I can glue...
I had to drive 45 mins to do the glassing in the shop this past weekend - that's a first.
At least you've got the FS snug and dry for when NOLA snowpack (lol) brings the roof down :shock: :lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:28 am

WW, we’re actually in a drought now , hadn’t had a good rain in a while ... but due to our intense Humidity , things haven’t really dried out ... We had a very early (and unexpected ) Freeze which threw my vegetable gardening , and building projects schedule off by months ... :o Some days too cold to glue , other days just warm enough...
I see you guys are finally getting some much needed Rain .... Hopefully not too much at once ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:28 am

Here’s that Alaskan Cedar I was blabbing about somewhere around here... :roll:
Attachments
Alaskan cedar.JPG
Alaskan cedar.JPG (163.27 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:19 am

BIG TROUBLE IN RIVER CITY !!!!! :o

Doing my usual weekly FoamStream check inside .... noticed a little staining on the floor in the very front of the trailer ... Only one thing causes that .... water intrusion ... :frightened: Went outside around the front and on the nose and floor junction is a spot (dead center) where the canvas is not covering the floor ( a gap ) where water got in and wicked into the wood frame ... :roll: Also checking , there was some places where gaps were bridged by the canvas and actually didn’t get glued solid to the floor ... those places the canvas had rotted ... :thumbdown: All my fault naturally for not getting it right the first time ... :oops:
The fix will be to simply cut away the small rotted areas and fit new canvas strips so everything is glued solid... no gaps .. no spaces for water to get in ... Something that should have been done right the first time ... :duh:
We’ll have to wait a while so the temps rise enough for the glue to work ... so in the meantime , we’re going to squirt some Great Stuff in those gaps to fill in the space... a quick fix ... :thinking: I’ll get some pics up soon ...

Funny, all along we’ve been parking the FS in the driveway with the nose a couple inches higher than the tail , with some idea in mind that it would keep any water out the rear doorway (which has sealed solid so far) , but it was enough an angle for the occasional water drop to enter the elevated front an one little spot ... grrrrrr!!! That’s all it takes ... one little spot ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:53 am

That’s all it takes ... one little spot ...

Phew, just be thankful it wasn't a "professionally" built RV - it could have been doing that for years before you found it and been a much, much bigger repair to deal with.
Good catch :thumbsup:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:55 am

:o Bet that was a shock. Glad you do a regular check. At least you've plugged the hole for now.

GPW wrote: That’s all it takes ... one little spot ...

BUT... That really is the point of foamie construction, right? Because it does only take one little spot, it helps to minimize the areas that can happen and the material that can be damaged. Plus, it helps to have construction material that is easy to repair. The Foamstream was a big project. If the only weakness so far is one little spot, the damage was minimal & is easily repaired then I say it's still a proof of concept.

How's that for making lemonade? :beer: [hard lemonade]
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:24 pm

It’s really not as bad as it sounds , just all my fault really ..... :duh:
Attachments
DSCF0046.JPG
DSCF0046.JPG (215.88 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
DSCF0047.JPG
DSCF0047.JPG (171.03 KiB) Viewed 1738 times