FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby GoTurtleGo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:12 pm

That's a great tip. And oddly enough that's what I do to test natural fabrics. If I'm honest, I just spit on a corner. Do you think anyone will notice if I walk around the big box store spitting on the OSB? Ha!

In any case I'll definitely be using my layers of Chuck's mix.

Thank you for the excellent tip. I'll bring a proper bottle and dropper to the store.

K
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GoTurtleGo » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:41 pm

The mix worked well. 3 coats on the flat surfaces and 4 or five on the edges. Getting ready to prime. Thanks!
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:15 am

That really makes a Big difference ... 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:33 am

Been a while since we’ve been inside the FS , and when we just looked , everything was exactly the same as we left it ... Apparently nothing is getting in or out ... :thumbsup:
Just have to reattach the front inside nose cards , but before we do that , we’ll remove all the cushions and rug so they can “air out” ... Sometimes those materials can develop a "stink” if left confined for a long time ... Nothing yet , but just being cautious , plus it gives me a good excuse to inspect every little bit of the trailer inside and out ... Since the Hurricane season has THANKFULLY :worship: been Quiet so far , we’ll use this time to go over the “particulars” and do a little cleaning .. still finding foam beads , just a few ... Once we get everything back together we’ll put all the gear inside as if we’re ready to leave .... which still may be the case .... peak of the Storm season is ~ Sept 10 ... Although it seems the record el Nino (heating) , is providing us with a quiet summer ... so far ... touch wood ... :roll: We’ll take some pics as things proceed ... :pictures:
Ps. The FS like any light colored foamie’ parked under a tree all season , really needs a good scrub ... a Bath ... We’ll have to scaffold up for that ... :o

This year I’ve vowed to build Smartly and avoid starting a project in the summer Heat ... Waiting till the Fall , storm season over... Nice cooler weather... For now we’ll just gather materials in anticipation ... a few bits at a time is easier to carry and afford ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Got the cushions out , and airing out , the wife insisted on spraying they with Febreze .... didn’t try to stop her .. :roll: Big ole’ banana spider insisted on making a nest to the FS rear door ... not harmfull as far as I know , but those webs are super strong and STICKY ... :frightened:
Attachments
FSspider.jpg
FSspider.jpg (165.08 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
FSempty.jpg
FSempty.jpg (200.26 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Did I miss something? Are you starting a new project?

Mike...

GPW wrote:

This year I’ve vowed to build Smartly and avoid starting a project in the summer Heat
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:48 am

Always a new project in the planning stage ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:26 am

Glenn,

How about something with a hatch this time?

Mike..
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:42 am

A Hatch ..... Interesting idea and puzzles that poses ..... :thinking: Here in the sub tropics ( Lots of Rain :rainy: ) We’d have to design the hatch within/under another structure to continuously deflect the rain down and away from the trailer , leaving no areas that water could get into ... thinking “scales “ all facing down ... in various degrees ... :thinking:

And now , having built the Bigger trailer , we’ll continue building larger trailers ... Being 6’3” ... I just don’t fit too well in a 4X4X8 ... :oops:

Mike , I’m actually back on the Zephyr page for an idea... Just a BIG one ... It’s got all the right curves and angles to make it STRONG , , aerodynamic , and actually fairly easy to build ... in reality like building a simple flatboat upside down .... sorta’ ish’ ... :roll: Gentle curves don’t require kerfing ... Should be not only Light for it’s size , but good towing and good in crosswinds ( Angled sides ) ... Now just have to figure where to put the Hatch .... :thinking: I guess the whole rear end could rotate up ... somehow , forming a rudimentary Patio canopy ... maybe all the strings of little decorative lights could automatically fall out as it opens ... :beer: Instant Sports Bar .... :D On a low carry on trailer you’d have that back deck anyway ... ;) Lots of possibilities ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:43 am

Well naturally Good sense intervened (the Wife) and said we need to get the FS ready FIRST before starting anything else ... She’s right ... Gotta’ take care of what we have ... And this little repair is NOTHING compared to what we had to do with a commercial trailer .. Kinda’ spoiled now .... Foamies live outside just fine ... Not a lot to worry about ... certainly nothing that isn’t really super easy to repair /maintain ...

Just because we’ve been LUCKY so far this year we might need to get out of Dodge should the odd Hurricane pop up ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:24 am

A hatch is NOT a problem (well maybe building one) but there are no worries about water leaking in them, IF you cover the space with your canvas. I can't remember how old my foamie with hatch is 4 yrs now? or is it 5? Any way, mine has always been outside and never has my hatch area leaked.

:wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:19 pm

Well OK.... Thanks Eagle , good to know ... :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Well, Glenn,

If water is a given, then figure out what happens when the water gets in. If it's like the rest of the trailer that can live so well outside, then you need to build the area under the hatch the same way.

Yes, get ready for hurricane season, but I know you're planning... show us some pics of your plans... ;) :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:02 am

Mike , honestly , water intrusion on our commercial trailer (Jayco POS) and the resulting damage that happened so quickly , really made me super conscious of that particular aspect of building ... Those that live in the desert don’t suffer the adverse possibilities like here where it rains almost every day ... especially in the summer... :rainy:
You can see why my ideas are running towards inverted Boat shapes ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
As far as Water intrusion , the FS has worked beautifully , except for the one little spot in the nose ( which was my fault) , but that’s mostly all fixed now and everything is still DRY as toast inside ...
We do need to either find a new spot to park the FS , or cut the crepe Myrtle tree down ... The FS does have dirty bits on the paint from tree droppings .... going to take some scrubbing to get that off ... or a quick re-paint ... The FS is so much bigger than the little Foamie #1 which always sat out in the open , so never got dirty ...
I really need to get some scaffolding to be able to completely wash -scrub -clean the FS ... It’s That BIG ... :roll: Smaller trailers are much easier to clean ...

Here’s a size comparison pic of Bonnie and the FS#1(now Nookery) and the bigger FS in the distance ... :pictures:
Attachments
Bonnie .JPG
Bonnie .JPG (249.96 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:21 am

Love that pic! :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare