FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:44 am

STH, We had saved up for this car , but apparently it wasn’t enough ( never is eh ? ) … so we’re proceeding slowly now as the financing becomes available … Good thing is , we’re almost done !!! :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby stharding1836 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:22 am

GPW wrote:STH, We had saved up for this car , but apparently it wasn’t enough ( never is eh ? ) … so we’re proceeding slowly now as the financing becomes available … Good thing is , we’re almost done !!! :D

Yep, it never is. We got my car driveable, but never repainted, fixed the A/C, or finished the interior. It was my daily driver, then I sold it right before I went to college.
stharding1836
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:23 am

STH ,That must have been Fun with your Dad and all 8) … There are some things on this car that will be temporarily Ignored till we get “ around to it !!! “ … :lol: All about the Fun !!! :D
The thing is , I don’t believe these are made for towing anything of any weight … ( a mighty 70 hp ) :R Maybe a new Foamie Trailer … a little bitty one ??? ??? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:19 am

Glen,
Now that you've had your 96 'in hand' for a bit, have you had opportunity to research it a bit? Is it the 'hot' US-spec 1500cc 73 hp engine?

:twisted:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:28 am

RJ, having dealt with the extensive RUST issues :shock: I didn’t have much of a chance yet to check out the engine … But from what I’ve been told it’s the old High compression engine … and I might have to run a lead additive in the gas … :o Some people have rebuilt their engines with hardened valve seats which eliminates the lead problem .. We won’t be driving this one that much (?) so we’ll probably keep it as is …. for now ... ;)

So far the only place we can see to attach a trailer hitch to is the bumper …and there’s not much to that …the car has No frame ... :shock:

Maybe a chance to use a tiny 4X4 HF trailer … and a bare minimum foamie “mini camper “ :thinking: ( have to leave the cast iron collection home) … :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:33 pm

GPW wrote:So far the only place we can see to attach a trailer hitch to is the bumper …and there’s not much to that …the car has No frame ... :shock:

Surely you recall back when we were much younger... :shock: one could commonly find a trailer hitch that merely clamped onto a steel rear bumper with a few nuts and bolts? As I inherited the 'packrat' gene from my dear mother, I am certain I still have one around here somewhere that my dear father had used on our 1965 Galaxie 500. :lol:

Where there's a will there's a way, I say! 8) :vroom:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:50 am

Sadly , it’s not much of as bumper … :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:32 am

And March 1 again brings to mind the oncoming Hurricane EVAC Season here ( June 1) , and the need to “ get my Stuff together !!! “
This season we no longer have any pets to worry about and provide for , the wife is having back problems , so we’ll just add more pillows to the interior . :thinking:
Got the List , paperwork, gear , etc. etc. etc. … time to start going over the FS and see what we can do , last look it was just as we left it , except for some baby frogs that were living in the crack in the door ... :o New tires (last years) fresh grease , new carpet , wiring redone … Not much left to do … ( famous last words !!! ) :lol:

Now then, since we’ve been rebuilding that 50 year old SAAB, I’ve gained some welding experience ( a lot really) and have been thinking about Lowering the trailer ... :o :shock: Still not finished with the Car so this may not happen till the late Fall … These things are never finished eh ??? Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JagLite » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:47 am

Baby frogs?
Is that better than mice?
Must be better than snakes, spiders, scorpions, and other unfriendlies. :shock:
ATTITUDE ~
The difference between
Ordeal and Adventure
JagLite
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:32 am

They were so cute ,( baby tree frogs) we herded them out of the way and left them alone … last time we looked (yesterday) they were all gone … They never got inside , just lived in the crack of the door ( which was not that big in the first place … ) :o And luckily no schmousey ’s !!! :lol:

List In hand I reviewed all the stored trailer EVAC gear (stored inside the house ) , everything ready , important papers in a waterproof box . Etc, etc. etc. Moving on !!!

And even I’m still amazed how a simple ( cheap ) Foamie trailer can last 7 years outside , with a minimum of maintenance . Still going !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:57 am

And Strange the recent developments !!! Now with the new C-virus panic , it appears we may be “ sheltering in place “ ( camping at home ) for a while … :o Grocery store supplies are already stretched thin , less people on the street , many places closed and public and private events cancelled … The only good thing is we’re already prepared for Hurricane EVAC “camping” , so we have stocked up already and know what to do to stay at home for an extended period … :thinking:

Let’s see how this plays out , I’m praying we’ll All make it through this unharmed … :worship:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:23 am

And now , since we must stay at home , we must also think of Hurricane season here on the Gulf ( less than a month and a half away )
, where we might have to Evacuate while “social distancing " … That’s going to be a real trick … :thinking:

Having a Trailer makes it easier … Maybe ??? :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:08 am

I would reply to this, but I am practicing social distancing.... :thinking:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:20 am

Me too !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:49 am

GPW wrote:RJ, having dealt with the extensive RUST issues :shock: I didn’t have much of a chance yet to check out the engine … But from what I’ve been told it’s the old High compression engine … and I might have to run a lead additive in the gas … :o Some people have rebuilt their engines with hardened valve seats which eliminates the lead problem .. We won’t be driving this one that much (?) so we’ll probably keep it as is …. for now ... ;)

So far the only place we can see to attach a trailer hitch to is the bumper …and there’s not much to that …the car has No frame ... :shock:

Maybe a chance to use a tiny 4X4 HF trailer … and a bare minimum foamie “mini camper “ :thinking: ( have to leave the cast iron collection home) … :lol:

Greetings my friend. Long time. I am around just not as active but getting the itch. Have always enjoyed your posts and concept drawings. I am looking to build a small trailer that maybe opens up with a slide? Similar to the Idaho bedroll? Would like to keep the cabin the same size as the frame 4X4 when traveling and expanded for sleeping. Wondered if you had any ideas? Thanks Stay safe Jim
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies