FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:31 am

Got the front repair done for the most part .... We’re going to Iron down the top layer wrinkle and be done with it .... All solid now ... no leaks , no wicking , dry inside ... :thumbsup:
Attachments
DSCF0083.JPG
DSCF0083.JPG (137.4 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:42 pm

You going to put those "covers" back in place ?
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:46 am

Yes Fred , I’m just making SURE there are no more leaks in any way before we replace the “nose cards” ... I just have a few more little spots to fix on the ply (waves in top veneer ) and although it makes little difference at this point if it’s “perfect" , I’d just like to see how far we can fix that ply, try some different techniques. I’m sure we can work it completely flat again !
The main thing I learned from all this ,aside from COMPLETELY sealing all the little things that could possibly leak or wick water in, was we should have treated the plywood ribs with ‘the mix’ first thing... I kinda' got in a hurry and omitted this step and naturally it came back to bite me in the ... nose ... :duh:
Also noticed that canvas should be “sized” thoroughly thru, (soaked) to fully encapsulate the fibers, BEFORE applying a final finish ... The paint or glue alone doesn’t do all that’s needed by itself.
The more we build , the more we learn ... all for the "Greater Good” !!!

Ps. that “chipboard” worked out Great , no soaking , no warping or swelling, although it had come into contact with the wet area... Thorough sizing and finishing , did the job ... :thumbsup: Thinking now some chipboard , laminated into reasonable thicknesses , might replace wood around doors and windows ... It surely would hold a screw if treated right (poly/resin) ... more stuff for testing... more for learning ... :thinking:
We’re anxious to “try" chipboard on another build , maybe replacing thin plywood on a roof , or hatch frame covering ... places where we can’t use foam ... :NC

Psps. we did notice the (cheap) screws were rusted a little on the inside (threads) , so will be replacing those with SS screws . Curious , the chrome trim washers , were fine , no corrosion :o ... little things , that can be changed for lasting durability years from now ... :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:26 am

Looking back , I see that this project is going to be FOUR years old in July ... :o I can’t believe it...

Would I change anything ? Yes, I’d put the whole FS cabin on one of those LOW carry on trailers ... making it easier to get in and out ... easier to wash the roof ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:29 am

Hurricane season preparations continue ... been going over "the List“ of all the stuff we have stored inside the house , things that will go in the FS on EVAC.. More stuff than I think we will need , but probably not everything we’ll want ... :roll: Tires topped off, lights checked. Everything is solid now ... I even have my little Foamie repair kit made up , just in case... :thinking: Just have to get the old pickup truck checked out and oil change . Not that it will be stressed at normal EVAC highway speeds ( ~ 4.75 mph)
As we learned about EVAC , it’s just like camping , but could last a three days .... or a couple months ... :NC

Ps.  we still haven’t pressed the wrinkles out of that rib veneer as yet .... what with all the other “stuff" going on in daily living ... we’ll get back to that ... eventually ... ;)

Other than a good roof scrub , the FS hasn’t required hardly any maintenance (except for fixing the problem I created... :duh: ) Not bad for having to live Outside all the time ... It was at this point my “commercial trailer” :roll: was already past the point of no return... :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:45 pm

Just a note ... Your 's truly is now on Facebook .... Time to bring Foamies from FoamStream into the MainStream ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:09 pm

Welcome to the great Mind Suck
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:51 am

Actually so far it’s been good for keeping in touch with my friends all over the planet ... I’m not playing into all the silly discussions ... being Non-controversial ... which is quite a stretch for me ... :lol:

Wolf, been talking with a friend about the Campi Flegrei caldera (~Naples) similar to the one (s) in your neighborhood ... :frightened: No camping there...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:09 am

My Foamling friends are invited to join up and let’s bring the Foamie' message to the world ... https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009558437222
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Request sent. :beer:
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GoTurtleGo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Hey Mr. GPW,

I sent you a friend request on fb. The name has K W as the initials. I would like to participate in any fb foamie discussions on there. I've been continuing to read all the threads here on tnttt even though I rarely log in. For some reason this forum often kicks me off after 15 - 30 minutes! Who knows? I'm wiring my trailer right now and drawing, drawing, and redrawing plans for the floor.

Some day I'll get around to photos and maybe even a build thread, but right now I don't have the energy.

Thanks,

Kathleen
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GoTurtleGo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:45 pm

As I prepare to build my floor, I re-read the Waterproofing your Wood thread and I have a question about the FoamStream - you used Grade 1 Interior OSB for your floors, right? And then you waterproofed it with Chuck's Mix. You didn't use the grade 2 or 3 for exterior application OSB?

Essentially, waterproofing with the mix upgrades the commonly available OSB to a superior weather proofed grade, is how I am reading your experiences with the FoamStream's OSB floor.

Thanks,

Kathleen
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:52 am

Kathleen , I can’t exactly recall what kind of OSB I used , but it has been VERY durable ... I have left scraps outside for years in the weather and no problems... But then we always treat any wood that we value , as it’s wet here ALL the time and the wood will either Rot, swell,de-laminate, warp or get really moldy (nasty) ... We take all the precautions we can ... :rainy: We noticed the OSB used on our “commercial” trailer :roll: , just a little water spilled on it and it and it instantly turned to mush ... :shock: That’s what NOT to use... :thumbdown:

Probably Good thing to get the Best material you can .... OSB is less expensive than plywood , that’s Good too ...so spend a little more and get what you think works best for your conditions.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:21 am

I live in mid-Missouri which is about 5 - 15 % less humid than you, depending on the wind. I can only find grade 2 OSB, even looking at specialty shops, so I am guessing that that is what is available to the general public. I have to rebuild my basement doors. Last time I used marine plywood and followed all the instructions I could find on waterproofing and it fell apart in about 7 years, as in melted and delaminated. So now I'll try the OSB with the mix, primer, and exterior paint. That will be my dry run for working on the floor of my foamie.

Thanks for the info. You are always a great source of information and help!

K
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:11 pm

You might have to allow OSB is a bit heavier than plywood ...
The beauty of OSB vs Plywood is , (once again we get out the soap box) Wood is made of tubes .... many long tubes glued together... It’s the way the tree transports water and nutrients up from the roots . By design , plywood is made of sheets of veneer , essentially sheets of Tubes, glued together that allow water intrusion from one end of the tube to the other (capillary action) .... water migration across a whole sheet ... Whereas on OSB which is “flakes" of wood glued randomly .... the intruding moisture can only enter and travel so far .... to the end of that flake ... which is why you see it swell on the ends if it’s the non waterproofed kind . Or turn to Oatmeal if it’s the cheap stuff used on commercial trailers .... Actually We’ve never seen such cheap C**p than was used in the RV trailer we bought ... it was literally “made to Fail " .. a good bit of the after market profits in RV Repairs and parts sales (all HIGHLY inflated) ...

I guess the quick at the store test is to put a drop of water on the OSB .... if it sinks in quickly don’t buy it .... if the drop just sits on the surface , that might be the waterproof kind .

At the end of the day ..... slobber on several coats of the mix till it won’t take any more and it’ll last forever . Almost ! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies