FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:36 am

Looking out my window at the FoamStream in a torrential rain storm , thinking I need some kind of better drip edge system on the bottom edges .. Although the canvas wrapping under the canvas seems to work just OK, seems it could be done better ... :thinking: Right now , the water comes down the side and wraps under (some of it) the floor . Would be better to have the water run down and straight off the side , past the floor , so no water would get underneath ... a simple aluminum flashing may be the ticket ... maybe :thinking:

Cool temperatures returning ... making plans for some enjoyable trailer work ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:28 am

Another Cool morning .... This is “Building weather “ ... :thumbsup:

Of all things we learned here , the best idea of all is to work on your trailer when the weather is really nice outside . That makes it all so enjoyable ... ;)

Got to get the FS canvas patching done ... Which involves getting under the floor access, so we’ll have to start looking for a big piece of scrap cardboard to throw on my gravel driveway .. Looks like it’s going to be tedious work as we’d like to make the original job “neater”, and blend the patchwork with the existing design , or perhaps add a new “drip edge” if we can come up with something for that ... and we have some undercoating left , so figuring it would be much better on the trailer underside than sitting in then can , we add that too ...

This presents a great opportunity to show Foam Patching , after the fact Foamie repair ... The plan is to replace the canvas in the questionable area, with some well trimmed patches , and one thing for sure is , this time we’re going to use the thinned glue trick on the canvas for cutting fray free lines ... Sharp cuts present less area to see or conceal .
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:27 am

Happy Day !!! I always believed if you wished for something and concentrated really intently that it would appear ... eventually !!! Something about the subconscious mind directing your actions towards that goal ... that is if we admit to the existence of the subconcious ... :roll: So that mentioned I really needed some scaffolding to get the FoamStream clean on the top (waaay up there) , climbing around on a shaky ladder wasn’t gonna’ cut it anymore ... and so I made a wish , and then checked Craig’s list and found a complete set , enough to completely bridge the FoamStream .. and for a Really Good price (delivered ) ... :thumbsup: 8) :applause: Now we’re ready for a little fall Foamie cleaning ... rub a dub dub :beer:
Attachments
DSCF0035.jpg
DSCF0035.jpg (242.68 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:39 pm

That's going to be a pretty tall bridge. I can hardly wait to see photos. I was thinking of using a one level scaffold for putting on the roof, but that's way on down the line.

Have fun scrubbing. The weather is finally wonderful around here - in the 80s. Hope yours has lowered too.
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:51 pm

Turtle , Thanks !!! Finally bearable to work outside for a little while ... I just showed the wife the new acquisition and all she could talk about was painting the house on the inside(which requires scaffolding) ... and washing the outside in previously unreachable areas... :o More work for "you know who " ... and Nothing for the FoamStream :roll: Alas , if it's too dirty to get all the streaks out , we can just re-paint it ... I have more paint .. ;) (house colors ) :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:48 am

Here’s a pic the seller sent me showing Two units stacked ... we have Four units so can stack a set on each side of the trailer ... :D Trailer building has taken a Huge step to the good around here ... :thumbsup:
Attachments
scaffoldstack.jpeg
scaffoldstack.jpeg (243.45 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Looks very useful! Smart purchase. :thumbsup:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:15 am

Sure beats climbing up and down a shaky ladder... :D Now all I need is a Large metal building to make a TD&TTT workshop ... :o 8) :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:26 am

GPW wrote:Sure beats climbing up and down a shaky ladder... :D Now all I need is a Large metal building to make a TD&TTT workshop ... :o 8) :beer:

Do you have the acreage for a foamie workshop/studio?
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:17 am

Ned ... 5.5 a hardwood forest .. Thinking “Foamieland"... Trailer Building workshops , and camping facilities under the Oak trees ... Educational center , test track perimeter , cafeteria-kitchen , and a library that turns into a music Bar at night ... ( popular here in N.O. :roll: )

The wife says ... “keep dreaming !” ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:27 am

Back to reality .... All the scaffold ends looked almost new save for two old rusty units... So, we gave them a coarse sanding (#36) to remove the heavy ‘ ,wiped them down with mineral spirits , and shot them with Rustoleum auto primer and then their safety yellow enamel ... While it’s not my best paint job ,that should help the rust problem for a while ... just a scaffold ... ;)
Attachments
DSCF0036.jpg
DSCF0036.jpg (235.64 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Thats a good score on the scafold,expensive gear to buy new.
Im in the process of working out a way to get my td safly and easily off the trailer so i can add a couple of details ,paint and put the sub floor in.
I could use some scaffold!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Too bad you don’t live closer or you could borrow these ...  :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:32 pm

Ain't that the truth.
I was thinking of putting railway sleepers on 4 stacks of concrete blocks and rolling it on and off with steel pipes...or something like tat.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:35 am

Foamies are really LIGHT once you shed the trailer they’re attached to ... maybe just a few mates to help ... :thinking: :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies