FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby bonnie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Saw hers at CRA this summer. Very nice. I am thinking one for the door, maybe.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:07 pm

Saw hers at CRA this summer. Very nice. I am thinking one for the door, maybe.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:03 pm

I would be most happy to send you pictures. There are lots of pieces of wood but it goes together really very nicely. give me a couple of days and I will Make a drawing and number it for you .

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks!
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:12 am

Update : Nov 2015 ... The temporary drip edge (Gorilla tape and Al metal duct tape ) has managed to stay firmly attached to the FoamStream nose despite some monsoon rains , unusually heavy even for us , and after Close inspection , all the wet wood underneath is now Dry as Toast and ready for the repair ... Now makes me think I should have had the drip edge all along ... :roll: We learn as we go ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:34 pm

Thank you for the update, GPW. I have been wondering. This is very good news for all of us. So, even though it is tape temporarily pressed on there, no water worked its way in between the tape and the skin of the foam stream? That gives me great hope for a glued down permanent edging.

Before you started experimenting with the drip edge, I was thinking of making a cloth equivalent to aluminum edging, for my doors and windows. It is a similar idea to what you were thinking about - bias strips, folded in half gessoed, painted, glued on while leaving a slight overlap. I even wondered about tucking some skinny plastic strapping into the fold to stiffen it a little. I might experiment this Winter.

Thank for info,

Kathleen
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:33 am

Turtle , I was thinking about using strips of chipboard coated with the mix and then glued to the canvas as a “filler” ... The thing is , you don’t really need much of an edge as water doesn’t run uphill ... And then we thought of using Eternabond tape ... (easy )
Now I’m thinking of incorporating the drip edge into the floor , so when you wrap the canvas underneath , it forms the edge we need .... Thinking of using something like a common quarter round moulding ( they might even make it in a dense foam .) just initially attached to the floor, covered over and that’s that ... :thinking:
Attachments
dripedge3.png
dripedge3.png (28.57 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:53 am

Nothing like the little details to complicate things.

That sharp corner looks like it would be trouble with any kind of fabric you might choose to use. Maybe.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:44 pm

Yes, Thanks KC , might have to give a little bit of round-over... :thinking: Even with a simple Foamie there are the “details” ... and with this “learn as we go plan" , the better changes will likely reflect on the next build ... which we are already gathering for now ... :D

This probably isn’t necessary for someone who lives in a dry climate , but here’ it’s raining all the time ... and this is stored Outside still ... Two years now , and it’s certainly paid for itself already with “peace of mind” for the wife and I ... even the temporary drip edge has worked extremely well, so we know the principle is sound ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:33 pm

Hey GPW,

I like that quarter round molding detail. It looks nice, and I might try it. What are you thinking about waterproofing it? Just the same TB II, gesso, paint layers as the cloth?

KC, I suspect that it wouldn't be too sharp at all. I've glued fabric on all kinds of stuff even over the edges of old tin cans and it holds up really well. And this molding edge would be much duller. But we need a willing test subject to try it!

Thanks,

Kathleen
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:54 am

I’m now thinking the “sizing” ( thinned TB2) of the canvas is a very important step to assure complete waterproofing . Basically it’s like “the Mix” but for canvas ... allowing all the fibers to be saturated with glue ... For me it was the unsized fibers that held water later ... I really think with the drip edge installed , you won’t have to do much of anything as water will not get onto those areas , not from rain anyway .... Water splashed up from the road , that’s another story ... :o But on my all steel cargo trailer , the board floor is just raw wood underneath and looks in fine shape ... Curious ! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:23 pm

I used the wood around mine attaching it with the screws into the wood I used to raise the bed of my trailer. What I am thinking is using big stretch to attach a small piece of wood trim to the foam on my next foamie.

Big Stretch A caulk that does not crack and sticks to clean dry surfaces. I put two wood blocks together with it and tried to pull them apart. I couldn't and several men and young body builder types could not pull them apart. So glueing is a secondary result. I have had no problems with the use of it on my trailer. It does have one drawback, it is a little on the expensive side, I would only use it on some areas as a waterproof glue/calk. I would suggest that you get a tube and try it as a caulk/glue first. try 2 blocks of wood and put an inch of caulk between Let dry for a week. try pulling apart. Made by Sashco. www.sashco.com :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was impressed and will find uses for it in the future.
Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:40 am

Big Stretch ... Thanks Mary , we’ll have to try that ... :thumbsup:

The rain continues here ... :rainy:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:07 pm

I went to a couple of hardware stores and one ordered it for me I prepaid for 4 tubes. and they ordered a case. If you have problems ordering let me know I can just bring some the next time I come that way.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:43 am

Dryer, and much Colder now here , giving one the appearance of Winter, but we could be in shorts and flip flops again for Christmas , or it could snow ... ( happens occasionally :o ) Thank Goodness , at least it’s not raining ... :thumbsup: 8) :D

Drip edge still in the plan , was thinking about something like this ... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Mouldi ... /100080367 ( certainly thrifty enough :thumbsup: ) With PVC I can heat it and bend it to fit exact under the nose ...
Think I could glue it with that 3M marine sealer (still have some left over) and shoot it into the floor with a small brad gun to hold it while the glue cures... Then a quick wrap of canvas over that on the outside and wrapped under and call it done ... Thinking this is cheap enough to do and we might as well do the whole trailer , drip edge everywhere... :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies