FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby bonnie » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:15 pm

GPW wrote:Funny, the inspecting State Police Officer , went outside and gave it a good look over,inside and out, came back and wrote on the registration form ... type of trailer ... “BOX”... Oh the indignity !!!

At least that's done. :thumbsup:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:36 pm

hahaha I just kept my mouth Shut , smiled , and paid the money ... :thumbsup: ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:59 am

Now that I have this license plate , we have to mount it .... :thinking: The State Trooper specifically asked me where I was going to mount the plate , and that it needed a light on it ....I told him there was a bracket provided with the tail light system , but the more I look at that ... it’s plastic ( :roll: ) which might , could , perhaps break and I’d lose that most valuable plate ... :frightened: Maybe I could find a metal bracket ...That’s easy . Or maybe the plate could be mounted in a decorative frame on the FS shell itself , and a small light wired into the taillights ... More difficult , but maybe more secure in the long run , not dragging low under the tail lights , where it might be hit by something (FOD) .... It’s a "Permanent “ plate , so it will be there a long time ... hopefully!!! :thinking:

Now that the trailer is legal , the wife’s new question is “where are going to go ? “ I told her... “depends on where the storm is going “ (not that way) ... Not like this is the latest thing ... I’ve been through this Q&A every year , for the last 40 years ... Think she’d know by now ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:37 am

Yup. Those plastic things look real cheap but do seem to last a pretty good time. Unless you hit something. Would not be to difficult to make something out of some rather thick sheet metal. I would use iron, liberally painted. Iron is easier to find.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:23 am

First storm this season. Arthur popped up just off our coast but doesn't look to be much of a threat. But at least your ready and legal.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ned B » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:13 am

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

hooray! You're legal finally!

Here's hoping you can leave it prepped (or nearly so) and ready to go, but NOT use it!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 am

Let’s hope Arthur stays far out at sea... :worship:

Well then ... close examination of my tail lights and license mounting bracket revealed the lights were bolted to the frame , bracket sandwiched between the two . If I replace it with a metal bracket and hit anything :o it would break the lights too ... :frightened: The plastic bracket does seem sturdy , but for how long ? :thinking:

Ned, that’s the whole idea .... Peace of mind for you know who ... :roll:
Attachments
DSCF0001.jpg
DSCF0001.jpg (161.88 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:32 am

Probably for a long, long time. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:45 am

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :dancing :clapping hands: :bounce: :banana: :dancing: :wine: :wine:

Great! I know you wife is happy!!!

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Olddog1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:56 am

How about moving the existing lights into the position you have indicated? Bore a hole from the bottom of the panel thru the foam looks like maybe 10" would be enough as a wiring chase. Install a couple of hard points for each light mount. The wiring may or may not have to be extended. Cover the hard points with more canvas and paint. Reattach the lights in their new position. Better visibility and up away from danger.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tac422 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:20 pm

That's a fine lookin' box trailer ya got there !! :D
tac422
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:10 pm

You haul boxes in that box trailer?

:) :) Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:47 am

GPW, you could glue in a hard spot of plywood and screw the plate into that. It's what I did. I stuck a frame on it to make it look right. I'd do it right where you sketched it in. BTW, that is the right location, street side. I at first put mine on the curb side before I realized that no other trailer had it at that location. Not sure if it's a law or just convention. Congrats on being legal!!!!! :beer: :beer:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:24 am

That license plate hangs a little LOW under the light for my taste ... Would never make it down my street before getting broken off... :frightened: Going to the store today , seeing what we can find for mounting that plate up on the cabin , and finding a little LED light for it ... and getting a spare tire ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Found a cheap metal license plate frame at the Wal mart. $5.00 Black , but think I’ll paint it the hammered silver rustoleum I used on the trailer frame ... more paint , probably will last longer... Just going to sink some hard points (3/4” dowel pegs) into the wall (2) with holed drilled for the plate screws.. Simple !!! Now all I have to do is find a cool little license plate light ... the ones at WM were pretty cheap looking ... and not LED ... Gotta have that eh ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies