FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 am

George , funny you should mention that … Years ago I had a friend in Seattle who had a House boat , but no boat . It was a house down on the lake with styrofoam underneath to keep it floating … everybody had one … it felt strange as it would rock a bit every now and then … :o

I guess the next idea is Foamie pontoons for the FoamStream, and that seems entirely PLAUSIBLE …and with the inclement weather this year and years to come , perhaps Necessary … :rainy:
Attachments
FoamStream boat .png
FoamStream boat .png (38.22 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Gathering animals two by two...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:07 pm

This one always pops into my head when I think small trailer and boat. I think it would work real well in the foamie world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG4GCNJChrk
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:08 am

Lots of good ideas for a Floating Foamie … and really plausible too , just because Foam Floats so well. 8) We just have to find ways to lose the trailer part for water use . ( like a Boat ) ;)

With storms on top of storms , things are in high gear around here ! Going over my lists , checking the gear, gas in the truck. FS pretty much ready to roll, ant holes and all . Any little patching can be done in a spare moment with the Foamie mobile repair kit .
Plus we’ve stocked up , if we have to stay here , still to early to tell. :NC

… and it looks like evacuating to Texas is off the list for a while … (those poor people !) :frightened: Dodging these storms can be tricky , anticipating which way they are eventually going . :thinking:
Now we’re tracking THREE !!! :o Might have to rename the FS to “ Storm Rider ”
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 am

GPW wrote: “ Storm Rider ”

Sounds like we need some lyrics set to the tune of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:35 am

Not as yet …. hahahahaha Fingers crossed !!! … All this is for “peace of mind” … “Her peace of mind” … :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:23 am

Amid all the weather chaos beside us (both sides :frightened: ) It’s actually been Cool and DRY here for some time now . Having learned to take advantage of that , we’re trying to get out today and do the FS Ant-hole repairs . Simple patches applied over the existing canvas , we’ll try to make it look nice . While there we’ll incorporate the drip edge seal ( a seal over a seal ). More canvas ( strips) painted down on the surface . “The Gripper" for the adhesion task , house paint for the finish coat. Redundancy keeps our “stuff” dry , amid a very WET climate . :rainy:

Now for the nay sayers , this is really the first time we’ve done any canvas skin patching . We’ve never really needed to before , despite the trailer going through several nasty tropical storms already and a minor hurricane . So we expect this will be another “test” / learning experience. I’ll take pictures ... :pictures:

What a Hurricane cannot damage , a lowly Ant can … :duh:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:40 am

Here’s hoping the Foamstream is safe and sound in a good bug-out locale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:03 am

Ned , safe in my driveway … fingers crossed . Less than 100mph , we "shelter in place” . When I designed and built my house , I had more “Bunker” in mind . ;) Thanks !!!

ps. now I’m kinda’ glad the wife made me buy a little generator … Got a small HF2000 , still in the box , waiting . ( also got the FAT cable , the stabilized gas in a new HF Jerry can , and plenty Oil ) … Thankfully it’s cooler now around here and the AC won’t be necessary , but a fan would be nice … generator multitasking , for Trailer or House … :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:10 am

Spent days getting ready , at the last minute fell asleep on the sofa and Nate the Storm turned away and missed us pretty much .. :o

That was Luck !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Never known anyone named Nate who was a really bad guy........... :thumbsup: jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:07 am

Jon, Nate wasn’t so bad , mainly because he left us alone … Moved quickly ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:42 am

Now here may (possibly) be a relevant piece of information … “ Airstreams tow wonderfully for such big behemoths, and they are very resistant to overturning even in hurricane winds.” Taken from Tripmaker’s post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69427
Must be the rounded top eh ? :thinking: That could be an interesting design consideration … ??? It’s not that difficult to replicate . We’ve noticed the FS has sat in the driveway for several years now , through many Windy storms ( Gulf coast) … no problem . (as yet) .
This month will be 5 years now since starting to cut wood/foam for the FS … ( time flies ) And remarkably , we finally have a trailer that can sit outside and not be affected and Not require any expensive or tricky maintenance. What we Always Wanted !!! Plus it’s big enough to live in temporarily (standy) and tows great too !!!
Schmaybe’ I should just build another one now , and out of 2” foam ( Blu/pink/green) with a “board floor” and drip edges built in from the start. , and on a lower “utilty trailer “ … maybe making it garageable , maybe ?

More Coffee …. You can tell that winter project is developing.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 am

It was a dark and stormy Summer … :frightened: Despite all the Hurricanes that did so much flooding and damage this year ( not to mention all those fires out West ), it seems to have just missed us this time . TG! Nov. 1 the Hurricane season is usually “considered" over , another year gone … FoamStream still ready . We did however, use the time to check the condition of all the gear , stored in the “utility room” ( the Bat cave ) . Ending this season we’ve added a HF 2000 generator system ( tank , cord , Gas can , etc. ) Hopefully this off season, we'll get to replace our 45W HF solar array ( kit) with something Bigger … thinking ~ 200W ( still portable ) . Pretty soon the FS will be so equipped , I could rent it out like a Foamie B&B . :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:09 pm

And then I saw this !!! https://roundaboutwatercrafts.com And of course you know the first thought that comes to mind eh … ??? :o ... :roll::thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies