FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 05, 2016 1:18 pm

More like corn syrup. Yeah, still probably better just to brush or roll epoxy on; just a thought though.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat May 07, 2016 7:19 am

Brushing on epoxy sure would be easier , but I was hoping the pressure of the “squirt" would drive the Mix into all those tiny little places ... I’d really hook up a spray gun and compressor if I had a lot to do , but it’s hardly worth the effort for just a couple little spots ... :thinking: This way I can just lie on my back under the trailer and just spray what looks like it may benefit ... Easy !!! And that will only be around the edges next to the newly to be installed drip edge, so what doesn’t “take hold" will merely run off ... 8) Trying to keep it as simple as possible .... Getting Old now !!! Things not as easy as they used to be ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat May 07, 2016 7:25 am

And from Big Mike’s TAPE discussion in the General discussions, We’ve been re-thinking the Nose drip edge ( again) and may just go with some simple Aluminum or rubber flashing and more of that Gorilla Tape which seems to perform WAAAAY better than regular duct tape and is showing no signs of coming off or aging as yet ... :o In the area that is most subject to damage , it maybe should be easily replaceable ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jmascioni » Sat May 07, 2016 12:38 pm

For what it is worth... I used Gorilla tape to seal a seam in a tonneau cover that ended up leaking after a violent rain storm which caused water to puddle on the cover. It lasted 3 years on the top of the tonneau cover before it delaminated and the outer pulled away from the glue. I would recommend gorilla tape to anybody. This trailer sits outside 24/7/365. All it took was a new application of G-tape and the seam is waterproof again.
jmascioni
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sat May 07, 2016 4:41 pm

JM , Thanks for the GT report !!! :thumbsup: 8) ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:42 pm

I used a cheap 1 gallon sprayer Wally World had for $5 to spray the mix under my toy hauler.
It worked great, I did 2 coats, (1 a day) and didn't ruin the sprayer. I cleaned it with less than half a can of spray brake cleaner.
tac422
500 Club

Postby GPW » Mon May 09, 2016 7:28 am

Tac, I had thought of that , but only have some little spots to do (re-do) .... a pint would be too much ... Not really that I need to do it underneath, just feel (obsessed) that it would make a better job ( insurance ) ... This is really a minor thing , but I’m trying to take care of all the little things so it doesn’t turn into a major project later ... :thinking:

FoamStream this week will be moved back into the driveway in front of the Studio and we’ll scaffold up around it so we can inspect everywhere, and make any needed repairs ... It’s been two years now with nothing really a big problem so far ... the new Drip Edge will eliminate a lot of chances for problems in the future , so now all we’ll have to do after is keep it clean and painted ...

The inside is still in great shape , but now there are a few spider webs ( and spiders) and a few hundred Lady Bugs managed to get inside ... a really good Hoovering and all will be ready for next months coming on line for Hurricane season duty ... We have a large pile of cushions, coolers, kitchen stuff ( I’m such a hypocrite , saying nobody needs a Galley , and yet here I have a Mini galley ... :duh: ) Everything ready to move from storage in the “Utility” room in the house , to the FS... Usually 2 or 3 days notice ( if we’re Lucky) , we must be ready to get outta’ town most anytime between June 1 to Nov. 1... And it pays to be READY, as the earliest ones on the road get into less traffic ... One time we got caught in late EVAC traffic , took 14 hours to go 20 miles ... Just ( a word we cannot use here + ing ) Miserable !!! :frightened: :thumbdown: :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 16, 2016 7:30 am

Back in front of the Studio , everything carefully assembled to install the drip edges.... and now it’s going to RAIN ..... grrrr!!!! :duh:

For as Large as it is , my friend and I pulled it across the gravel and right into place , no problem .... It I had a paved driveway , could have pulled it by myself ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon May 16, 2016 9:16 am

Good job on the spray bottle trick. I did the whole inside of my cabin that way: super quick, no mess and not so finely atomized that you're breathing the stuff.
I had it sitting in the bottle for a couple weeks after and the bottle was fine. I cleaned out the bottle and went to use it again for the same thing about a month later but it was toast.

That's $1.99 I'll never get back... :lol:

Watching the ongoing improvements to FS make me think it must be about time for you start another one, n'est pas ?
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 16, 2016 9:30 am

Soon as we get through this Hurricane season , we “plan” on starting the Zephyr... a much simpler trailer .. That’s the Plan if nothing gets in the way ... :thinking: :D I’ve got a boat trailer on hand ( actually two) but am looking around already for one of those lower landscaping trailers, or may have to make one the right size ... My friend and band member is a retired welder/fabricator and can knock this stuff out really quick . That and my steel supplier is just a few miles down the road ... and delivers... :D ... I see a lot of suitable low trailers sitting in yards rusting , but none for sale ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 16, 2016 6:44 pm

Awww... can't you build a generic foamie instead? We really need someone to set the pace and show what can be done! :D :D :D

Mike...

GPW wrote:Soon as we get through this Hurricane season , we “plan” on starting the Zephyr... a much simpler trailer ..
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Glen,

Can you show me you guys sitting in the Zephyr, using this mannequin?

Image Image

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed May 18, 2016 5:40 am

Er, probably not .... my drawing skills aren’t nearly as advanced as yours .. :duh: But It is BIGGER than that ... 5’ tall Inside , 6’ wide (inside ) , and 12‘ long ... My size trailer ..
Apologies , being 6’3” and 240 # means we don’t fit in a regular trailer , at least not with the wife and dog too ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 23, 2016 7:10 am

The window of opportunity has opened ( couple days of no rain ) , so today we’re going to fit the drip edges on the FoamStream ... Once we get that done we can CLEAN it , possibly add more paint now that the first paint is good and dry ... ;) We’ll take some pictures as we go along ... :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 23, 2016 10:26 am

Well we didn’t take pics as we went along as we had the wife helping me ... So had to explain difference between screwdriver and drill ..(college girl) :duh: But I did appreciate the help ... So here it is finished ... everything went according to plan , got it all secure with 3” outdoor screws(?) and Silkaflex sealer ( Nasty gray stuff, but looks up to the job ... ) You can see I just missed the AC door on the side . Now the sharp edge extends well below the floor to keep ALL ( Non-road) water away ... I was commenting to the wife how even though we haven’t had rain for days , it’s WET underneath from the morning dew .... NEVERMORE !!! Checked the nose again , where the ultra simple Gorilla tape and AL tape is , it’d dry as toast underneath , no dew , no nuttin’ ... :thumbsup: :D The plan now is to temporarily put more gorilla tape over the DE seam and get this thing cleaned up .... only a few days left till Hurricane season . and looks like we’ll be READY ....
Attachments
DSCF0082.jpg
DSCF0082.jpg (78.43 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
DSCF0081.jpg
DSCF0081.jpg (115.64 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
DSCF0080.jpg
DSCF0080.jpg (120.34 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Last edited by GPW on Mon May 23, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies