FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby bonnie » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:01 am

They work picking up digital. I'm pretty sure analog is completely phased out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:02 am

Very nice work upgrading the Foamstream. I'd recommend two colors. Or a mural.

Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:34 am

a mural .... Hmmmm?? :o

Just a quick analysis of the canvas we removed from the top ... You can see some areas have stuck well, others appear to have no glue at all ... ( I blame myself :duh: ) Some areas removed the spackle filler ...that was useless...

Neither gripper nor T2 got FULL coverage on the canvas , nothing serious underneath , no rot , but a little discoloration ... Had we used a sizing coat this might not have happened... and anyway the canvas had shrunk away from the ridge top creating an airspace behind the canvas , between the canvas and foam ... grrrr!!! All better now ...

Sun shining on fresh canvas area now getting rid of the morning dew , so we’re going out to apply the Gripper ... I’m supposed to stay OUT of the sun , but this must get done ,and right this time ... plan for it to last a while ...
Attachments
DSCF0113.jpg
DSCF0113.jpg (191.84 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
DSCF0114.jpg
DSCF0114.jpg (252.96 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:16 am

Gripper on top now ( 1 coat) ... 40+ sq. ft. didn’t take long to prime ...
We found it was much easier on our old bones to put a ladder next to the scaffold , which made for an easier climb and descent ... ;)
Attachments
DSCF0115.jpg
DSCF0115.jpg (244.88 KiB) Viewed 2748 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby videographer » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:30 pm

Camp4Life wrote:EDIT: Not sure about south of the border, but in Canada we lost analog channels years ago and it's now all digital channels, which means you need a DVB antenna, that's why I'm asking. Or do you guys still get analog channels in the States?

Nope, the last (full-power) analog TV transmitters were shut off in June 2009. Hard to believe it's been 6 1/2 years already. And here's a secret from a guy who works in TV:

THERE ARE NO "DIGITAL" ANTENNAS, no matter what the label says. The carriers are the same, it's only the payload that has changed. However, a lot of stations changed channels, and many VHFs (read: big antennas) moved to UHF (small antennas.) If you need to know what stations you should be receiving in your area, go to Antennaweb.org and use their search function - it's pretty good.
videographer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camp4Life » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:42 am

videographer wrote:
Camp4Life wrote:EDIT: Not sure about south of the border, but in Canada we lost analog channels years ago and it's now all digital channels, which means you need a DVB antenna, that's why I'm asking. Or do you guys still get analog channels in the States?

Nope, the last (full-power) analog TV transmitters were shut off in June 2009. Hard to believe it's been 6 1/2 years already. And here's a secret from a guy who works in TV:

THERE ARE NO "DIGITAL" ANTENNAS, no matter what the label says. The carriers are the same, it's only the payload that has changed. However, a lot of stations changed channels, and many VHFs (read: big antennas) moved to UHF (small antennas.) If you need to know what stations you should be receiving in your area, go to Antennaweb.org and use their search function - it's pretty good.

Yeah, I guess what I really needed at home was the amps built into the antenna units. My tv does digital HD channels over the air, but a regular "bunny ears" antenna didn't get me anything. Bought one from best buy that needs to be plugged into power for the amp, and bam, bunch of channels :thumbsup:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:36 am

Update: Still waiting for my helper to get time to give me a couple hours availability ... The weather is perfect (that won’t last ) for painting ... Main part of the job is the cleaning /surface preparation... Dirt,mold ,stains had accumulated since last years bath ... and being too near the Crepe Myrtle tree didn’t help either. The canvas is still in good shape and in places where it was overlapped ( 18oz. over 18oz. ) it was Difficult to cut even with a sharp utility knife.. Tough stuff once all cured out ...For living outside all it’s life , it’s still ahead of any non Foamie trailer we’ve had in the past , save the old "single wide" that was my printing studio for years (old house trailer ... Metal roof !!! ) The reason the next trailer build Will fit in the garage !!! Figuring living inside , all it would ever need is a light dusting every now and then ...
During the recent roof remodeling , some incidental “dents" from misplaced knees and elbows , got pressed into the foam skin ( Pics) , but after a little while in the Sun , they‘re pretty much gone ... the side that doesn’t get much Sun was still a little dented , I like that self healing business!!! The FS has now taken us through two Hurricane seasons without event ... Just the little cosmetic maintenance really hasn’t been anything , and the modifications ( drip edges,and roof job ) really make a big difference . We learn as we go ...

Gotta' get it done . "Winter is coming ! “ ... and the night is dark and filled with trailers ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 am

We're back !!! :D We had our 3 days of winter, and are back working on the FS getting it ready again for the ensuing “season” ... Dreaded looking at the inside since ants had gotten in , and who knows what else , so armed with a small vacuum cleaner and a bucket of cleaning supplies , jumped in and got busy ... There was some fluffy white stuff , I think left by the ants , which easily vacuumed away , some incidental dead bugs , a mummified frog , and a little lizard poop on the walls , which wiped away with a paper towel and household cleaner ( 409 with bleach what we used ) :thumbsup: ... and mostly a lot of little foam balls that had escaped from confinement of the inner skin ... Otherwise , it was amazingly intact , no real stains or problems , nothing rotting , no leaks ... next we have to pull the rug and hang it up outside in the Sun for a while , although we thoroughly vacuumed it , we will be camping /sitting on that so , cleaner is better eh ... ;) So that takes care of the inside ... now back to adding the drip edge “tape “ , which include some “Ant hole “ repair all in one ... and painting the roof ...
All the inside cushions, blankets , pillows , housewares, etc. have been stored inside the house , as well as the air conditioner and small appliances ... all ready to load as needed ...
So far the FS is holding up well living outside , maintenance has been minimal ( although I should wash it more frequently ,maybe twice a year ) , and we’re close to be ready without much effort, and very little out of pocket expense ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 09, 2017 11:52 am

Here it is , months later , preoccupied with “other” things at home , we never did get the top of the FS painted ... :duh: Less than a month left now till the beginning of “Hurricane Season” ... We’ve already had some “ interesting” weather this year so far ... who can predict what’s next ? :frightened: Gotta’ get this done ... But we’re already seeing a little mold on the Gripper ... Have to wash that off first ... This would have been a lot easier if I’d have done it all at one time ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 26, 2017 5:21 am

Five days to go , and it looks like my helper has moved the scaffolding into position . Just planning the roof painting around the weather forecasts. Would be Nice to have a barn, shed , garage , tent … something … or a smaller trailer we could pull in the garage … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed May 31, 2017 5:19 am

Just saw that there's a potential storm tracking up your way... stay safe ! Just say No to Bret

Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed May 31, 2017 5:54 pm

Ned , always a storm here , living next to the Gulf of Mexico , the prevailing SW winds always carry in vast amounts of moisture, and dumps right on us . We can go fishng in the Gulf early in the morning and watch the clouds form over the warm waters, and by that afternoon driving home the same clouds have moved north and are raining on us . It’s been raining for days now , supposed to rain till Monday ( really! ) … Everything is flooded or wet :rainy: … we’re on high ground so no worries , but I could kick myself in the arse for not getting the FS roof painted ( procrastination ) ... It’ll be at least a week before I can even think about painting it , and past the June 1 Hurricane Season start.
Trying to remain optimistic , the inside is still nice and dry, and it’s a great test for the new drip edges … I’m going over the gear ( making a new List) checking that everything is ready … Most of it is still NIB so no worries… Got my list of friends to visit so we should be able to avoid most storms … Hopefully !!!

Note: after these many years , we probably need to update some of our gear , like our solar panels and battery system ( The old Harbor Freight solar kit is heavy and not that efficient , My DD battery is Old and not “up to snuff "... ) And I want a new small flat screen smart TV . Plus I need to ditch the “old man flip phone” I have , and get something modern … and something to charge all that … so we do have some updates to make …. after this season …Always something to do eh ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Redneck Packrat » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:03 am

GPW wrote:Good Morning Mr. and Mrs. America , and all the ships at sea!!! :D

Today is the skin surgery , and hopefully more painting .... No rain predicted ( a miracle) so hoping we can get a lot done ...
Just an observation ... the skin only bubbles up after sitting in the Heat ... at night it tightens up ... weird huh ? Well, the bubbling only seems to be around the bottom seam , it looks like we’ll be able to slide a putty knife under the seam and separate it enough to peel it back a bit and brush some T2 in the offending area, then press it all back down ... That “should” do it ... Schmaybe’ ?
With the T2 attached skin we have no problems ... with the Gripper we have that long bubble (s) ... grrrrrrr!!! Therefore we will not be using the Gripper any more to attach the skin.. ever !!!  It is a great primer , but I don’t know if it’s better than other primers that cost a bit less... It was an interesting experiment ... the odd thing is it worked great in some places and not in other areas ... no idea why that happens... :NC
Will take some pics as we proceed .. Foamies' are supposed to be simple to repair and this should be fairly easy ... We’ll see eh ??? :thinking:

I'm 4 years late to this party, and have only read this far through your saga, so forgive me if this has been offered as an explanation to the bubbling: Could you have gotten some moisture trapped behind the "skin" of the paint? Moisture barriers work both ways. What triggered this thought is when you said that sitting in the sun caused them to appear, and they went away at night.

On a related squirrel=chase my mind was doing a few posts earlier, isn't injecting TB2 under an already-painted surface just asking for moisture entrapment? Or does the iron force the TB2's water out the pinhole?

I feel kinda like the dummy at the back table who laughs at the wisecrack five minutes (four years? :shock: ) after it was made. But I'm learning a lot....

I'm not slow, just late! :lol:
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Packrat » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:33 pm

GPW wrote:Sure beats climbing up and down a shaky ladder... :D Now all I need is a Large metal building to make a TD&TTT workshop ... :o 8) :beer:

....hmmm..... foam building? :thinking:
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:07 am

RP... that bubble was where we didn’t get good glue (gripper) coverage ( plus like you say , got some of our abundant Humidity in there ) …. All fixed now …
RE: already painted canvas , the EPS ( beaded ) foam we used is actually slightly porous so glue will dry inside after a period of time … And we even glue XPS sheets together with glue ( gripper) and that eventually dries after a week or so ...

We actually have thought of closing in our shed with foam and fabric … but actually I’d rather use the Foam for trailer building … ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies