FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby John61CT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 am

Yes the biggest challenge with spray foam, or even better the pourable expanding stuff, besides using in the correct environmental conditions

is the tremendous pressure in all directions as it expands.

Can buckle and warp even pretty thick metal walls, especially if there aren't large-area "escape routes", or even if there are but you try to do too much at once.

With a weak-material "mold container", it helps to do it in very thin layers, sometimes necessary to work with just a fluud ounce at a time.

In warm conditions at the right humidity, the setting time between layers can be well under an hour, but for full curing, reduce the risk of long-term offgassing, best to follow the spec'd instructions for that specific product.

I'm thinking for foamie use gap-filling, corner gluing boards, creating a 3D single cohesive foam structure first, then fairing away any irregular bulges etc, then applying the PMF canvas afterwards.

For in-use repairs, maybe a non-expanding waterproof "bondo" type filler would be better, not necessarily cheap automotive stuff but marine type, microballoons / fumed silica filler in epoxy.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Actually the spray foam worked as expected , but I got distracted and forgot about it and it expanded while we weren’t looking :o … It was all going so well, me pushing on it with a flat board, flattening it out until it hardened … Till I forgot … :duh: My bad …. Ugly but it’s certainly SOLID … Since it’s not a beauty contest , I don’t really care … ( not that much )
Comforting just to know it’s ready should we need it … With only a few days warning , we must be Ready to go at first notice lest we get caught in Hideous TRAFFIC … :frightened: Last time it was 14+ hours to go 50 miles … Stressful to say the least ... :R
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Now we “could” cut away all the aberrant covering , and fill , sand and flatten all the foam in the area and glue new canvas on … Make it nice and pretty … Maybe next year … :thinking:

Or being six years now , we “could" just start on a new Trailer, a pretty one ( Zephyr) … One that doesn’t look like every free Ken horse trailer in the neighborhood …. :o :R :lol: :lol: :lol:
And then we may try the old Hot Iron trick …that may work as yet … or make a real mess of it all ? :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm

You mean for repairs, or some new wrinkle on build technique?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:17 am

J’ I was thinking that the iron’s heat would soften the foam and compress it perfectly flat again …. Theoretically …. :thinking::NC
That Iron trick has worked in the past for various canvas skin aberrations … We used a damp cloth between Iron and painted canvas to lessen any damage …

Ps. I have my own Iron , I wouldn’t DARE use the Wife's iron she uses on her wardrobe ... :frightened: You can usually find a serviceable iron at the local Thrift store for just a couple bucks …They don’t seem as popular as they once were…
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:03 am

No once it's cured I think physical removal, scraping / chisel, rasping sanding.

Melting maybe? But nasty fumes.

Dissolving hard to control.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:05 am

My helper told me he had a Dream about the giant bulge on the trailer , when he actually saw it he said it wasn’t so bad … So we’ll just leave it for now … ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:54 am

Today we’re supposed to wash the FS and install the carpet … Pics as it happens …
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:26 am

Got it washed , but I can see the old paint and the new paint are slightly different …I told my helper next Spring we’d probably paint the whole thing all over again , maybe even another color scheme …
The carpet went in easily … looks good and is comfortable … ( and most important , the wife likes it )

Now then the final check was to hook it up to the TV and see if the lights worked … Some did , some didn’t … First off we found some broken wire … looks like they got nipped by the fold down front wheel jack … :o So we got out the heat shring and wire strippers and fixed that … Still didn’t work ... :shock:

Now then , I must explain , when we bought that Jayco POS , the dealer installed a round 7 pin socket on my truck , so now I’m forced to use an adaptor which can be problems … My problem, was corrosion , I had to get out the can of De-Oxit contact cleaner to get the plugs working … After a while of fiddling they all finally worked again … TG !!!

So we’re ready !!! … list made and checked off .. maintanance done … Fingedrs crossed !!!
Attachments
FS inside new .jpg
FS inside new .jpg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:03 am

how lovely! really gorgeous, inspiration man…
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:20 am

Looks great.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby zzzizxz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 am

Have to say, for a bug-out vehicle, that's quite luxurious! Looks amazing.
zzzizxz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:01 am

Thanks guys , this was the best idea I could come up with at the time … as you know from my gallery , I did a LOT of drawings and thinking … Six years now living Outside as a test , and the recent floor replacement was a good lesson to learn and we expect no more floor problems ( not in my lifetime anyway) … “ It’s all been a Giant learning experience for me … Fun too and in this trailer is incorporated a little bit of everybody else that helped … THANKS !!! :D :thumbsup:

And naturally the Wife is Happy and finally has “peace of mind” regarding Hurricane EVAC, which can be Traumatic , or just an unplanned camping trip ... :thinking:

Luxurious ??? This is what the Wife expected …. hahahaha :lol:
Attachments
Jeannie.jpg
Jeannie.jpg (125.45 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:37 am

Low pressure system forming in the Gulf of Mexico , maybe a chance to use the FoamStream … we’re certainly ready … :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:38 am

Stay safe
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies