FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:40 am

Don’t know about Spic N’ Span really ... Maybe ??? Figured by the way things are going , and washing the trailer once a year , I’d be re-painting before the color dulled ... :thinking:

Now this is Strange .... leaving the Foamie outside all the time , it really doesn’t get that dirty .... but the commercial RV we had (Jayco) would be moldy (green) in just a couple weeks .. and the “membrane “ roof (the thickness and quality of a dollar store cheap vinyl table cloth ) would quickly grow some black stuff that wouldn’t wash off ... :frightened: Forever cleaning that one ... Washing once a month was not enough ... :duh: That got old pretty quick ... trying to keep the commercial trailer nice , and it really didn’t do any good anyway because it still only lasted the 2 year warranty period , and then fell apart , even though the expensive preventative maintenance was done by the dealer ... What a SCAM the commercial trailer business is ... :thumbdown: :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:08 am

I tried to look it up, but quickly found that there are a bunch of liquid SN'S products on the market today, so maybe not such a big deal as the old powdered product that I was familiar with back in the day.

I guess we each have our regional weather issues to deal with. Here it is the fall leaves and winter layup.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:44 am

One of the things I learned reading about house paints is that some have mildew and mold resistant chemicals in them. Those paints are strongly recommended for people who live in damp areas.

I.bet using your house paint on the FoamStream is helping you out there with the stuff growing on it.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:03 am

KC, I’m still (old die hard) using the Spic N’ Span in the orange box .... and I could only find it at a hardware store (LAVA soap too) ... :o Been using it to wash the truck too .... no problems so far ... truck’s a 2001 ... got 70K on it now , paint still good .... :thumbsup: ... but sometimes there’s green mold on that too :o ... All seasons moldy save the dead of Winter , which here lasts two weeks ... all the Rain we have ... :roll: Youze’ guys have "that White Stuff" ... :o :shock: :frightened: Terrifying to us ... :roll:

LT, it does seem to be holding up very well so far ... (touch wood ) Same paint I used on the house re-paint last year (leftovers = Free 8) ) ... don’t know if it has any fungicides but I had extra and it was already paid for 8) ... the last paint job went ~ 14 years and was just getting chalky... Most surfaces do very well except those that face North and just don’t get enough sun to dry everything out ... Those always go green (but that’s everywhere huh ? :NC ) ... Every couple years I have to pressure wash the base of the house to get rid of the greenies on the North side ...even though I intentionally canted the house on the property (when I designed/built the house) to receive some sunlight , it wasn’t enough ... :duh: FoamStream sitting all the time with the rounded nose facing N-NE and showed very little “greening” ... easily washed off ... The 64 Sq.Ft. square front Jayco was a constant source of mold sitting in the exact same place in the driveway :frightened: ... I think just because the FS nose is round , the sun is always on it somehow ... :NC

There’s no reason the paint on the trailer shouldn’t last as long as the trailer , other than us knowing how easy it is to paint and decorate , and how long it takes to get bored with the present paint job .. being a painter , I could easily paint it something else every year , just for the Fun of it ... :D
And I’m darn sure glad we didn’t paint it White , or it would have looked just like every other Horse trailer in the neighborhood ... :duh: So much for originality ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:16 am

LT, and just sayin’ ..... one of the absolute Best colors for long term durability turned out to be light Blue ... :o I really like the color you painted yours... :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Love the pics!

:wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks Eagle , how’s your Foamie coming along ? Any news , plans , progress, cupcakes... :roll: :lol:

Got the FS all leveled again , jacks on. Everything inside is just as we left it . All the extra rubber sealing around the door has kept even the spiders out ... :D

Got the first washing of the ASCT done , just to remove the heavy dirt ... :frightened: ... have to go back and do a little scrubbing in certain spots with a smaller brush ...in the seams and around lights and hinges . etc.
Going to get it as clean as I can so when we pull it under the shed , I can take the stuff out and clean the inside thoroughly and assess if we need to make improvements or just leave it like it is. but all cleaned up (on blocks) . Since I got NO interest at all trying to sell it (other than an old farmer who wanted it for Free :roll: ) , The best I can do is use it around here for secure storage ... I “could “ theoretically remove and replace the paneling inside , add foam insulation , a Mini Galley in the front, lights , speakers , fans ... give it a snappy mural paint job and then try to sell it ... but because of it’s small size , it’s really only good for one person of my size , or two normal people. And it’s Heavy ... all Steel eh ... :o Nice closed storage space is looking much easier ... more practical at the moment... :thinking:

Once I get this ASCT business taken care of for “you know who” (out of sight , out of mind ) ... I can get back to making the FS additions while the weather is so pleasant... :D
Attachments
ASCT2.JPG
ASCT2.JPG (241.48 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:42 am

According to plan , we drew up a little bathroom design for the FS... Showed it to the wife , she liked it ... Just a small foam wall (much like the Mini-Galley wall ) everything else is pretty self -explanatory .... Anybody see something that needs to be changed ... I’m open to new ideas and would appreciate any opinions from you seasoned campers (with potty experience) :roll: :lol:
Attachments
FSbathroom.png
FSbathroom.png (46.01 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:56 pm

I'd solidly mount the mirror. I'd be concerned that it would hold up to bad roads and bouncing.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:29 am

Good point PC .... Thanks !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:17 am

What? No reading material rack? Oh dear! 8)

It looks good. I wonder if the light placement will shed enough light throughout the area? Maybe mount it on the new wall facing back?
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:57 am

Bonnie , hopefully it will be a light which we can mount using those rib holes already there ... Then it could hopefully be adjusted to find the right spot ... :thinking: A Lot of this is going to be some testing (actually sitting/standing there) of the size of the area first ... The basic area is 2’ wide X 4’ long , so it will be the miniaturized version of everything .. We’ll have to do some “adjusting” to get it to all fit and be practical ... The FS is Big , but not “that” big .... Think Gandalf in a Hobbit bathroom ... :roll: :lol:
One thought is to make the privacy curtain bridge between the Bathroom wall and the Mini Galley wall , opening up the entire rear of the trailer cabin to the bathroom area, doubling the effective floor space to 4’X 4’ ... Thinking in the normal position the curtain would cover up the entire bathroom area from bathroom wall to rear door . :thinking:

Reading rack ... Simple , all we have to do is add a piece of thin plywood or Masonite to the bottom connecting the ribs .... = Instant reading rack ... or storage for other things too ... :thinking: I’ll try to get some real world some measurements and take pics of the “fitting” process... :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Had the wife go out and sit in the FS where all this is supposed to happen so we could get some basic measurements ... Just by looking the curtain would go across the cabin entirely at the second rib from the back , the Mini Galley is only one rib wide , so a wall across from it won’t work ... :roll: Now the royal plan is for Two curtains , one across the trailer width , the other down the side hiding the bathroom .. (although that may not be necessary :NC ) The dimensions are marked on the drawing below ... and actually is a lot more room this way than I thought there would be ... 8)

Ps. I included the magazine holder detail for Bonnie ... ;)
Attachments
FS bathroom top.png
FS bathroom top.png (47.48 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG (62.49 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG (197.57 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:27 pm

I have been reading everyone's posts on my Kindle so I have not commented in awhile, but this sentence "Think Gandalf in a Hobbit bathroom," just about did me in. I about fell out of my bed laughing. Thanks for the belly laugh whether you intended it or not!

What about a skinny wall between the 2nd rib and the window so you would only need one curtain parallel to the "hallway?"

Just a stray thought. I like the library shelf.
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Turtle , the skinny wall got voted down by the wife (would have been easy making one of foam ) ... so a skinny curtain is going there ... and it’s less weight so that’s OK with me ... :thumbsup: We’ll see how that goes as we get along with this part of the project ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies