FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:13 pm

I would stay with the canvas and paint. They are more likely to behave the same as what you already have, tending to behave more like one entity rather than two.

I would think that if you scuff the area where the board will be attached, a bead of PLP along the top and bottom should do okay, maybe with pin nails or screws to attach. after cleaning up any squeeze out and letting it cure you could run a bead of paintable caulk along the joints. The PL2 and canvas should still stick to that, I would think.

How are you going to wrap the drip edge board around the front radius? Kerfs or will it be flexible enough to make the bend? :thinking: I wonder if a piece of vinyl trim might be a better option. :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks KC , we’ll do as you suggest with the canvas , caulk ... The front will be something entirely different ... still haven’t fully decided what is best Vinyl , aluminum ... or something else ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:43 pm

So you will need to transition between one style and another?

Maybe there is a solution that can be the same all around? Just thinking that would be easier and may even look a little more consistent.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:21 am

Transition , looks .... Actually all that means very little to me whilst contemplating Hurricane EVAC :frightened: ... Just trying to keep the trailer as long as possible ( before we build a new one ;) ) And what we’ve learned from the Foam Airplanes ^ , repairing and redoing damaged areas is really easy and theoretically , a trailer could be easily maintained for a long time ... Even living outside ... :o

The nose will require something completely different as there is No attachment points for any device , other than gluing or taping something to the skin itself ... And actually the simple "two tapes" is working just fine right now , so we’ll likely go with something similar again ... and thinking since the front bottom is the most likely to receive any damage , it should also be easily replaceable ... :roll:
Although the drip edge may seem insignificant to some (desert dwellers ) , here in the swamp , I now believe it to be a necessity and will include it in all future builds ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Alan_H » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:50 am

GPW wrote:Transition , looks .... Actually all that means very little to me whilst contemplating Hurricane EVAC :frightened: ... Just trying to keep the trailer as long as possible ( before we build a new one ;) ) And what we’ve learned from the Foam Airplanes ^ , repairing and redoing damaged areas is really easy and theoretically , a trailer could be easily maintained for a long time ... Even living outside ... :o

The nose will require something completely different as there is No attachment points for any device , other than gluing or taping something to the skin itself ... And actually the simple "two tapes" is working just fine right now , so we’ll likely go with something similar again ... and thinking since the front bottom is the most likely to receive any damage , it should also be easily replaceable ... :roll:
Although the drip edge may seem insignificant to some (desert dwellers ) , here in the swamp , I now believe it to be a necessity and will include it in all future builds ... :thinking:

I like the Drip Edge idea... It makes sense, and we get plenty of rain due to the peninsula of FL, so it would definitely apply for my build. I think I will "borrow" your idea and incorporate it into my plans.
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:45 am

Alan . it just keeps ALL the water off your floor , except when you’re traveling in wet weather ... It’s getting ready to POUR here .... again !!! :rainy: :frightened:
It’s still amazing how well the tape drip edge ( Gorilla Tape and thin aluminum duct tape) is working in the front now .... the underlying floor is bone dry .... before , it was Always damp .... grrrr!!! Looks a bit “tacky” but better than a soggy floor and rotting canvas underneath ... Once the drip edge (s) installed , we can let things dry out , the go under there and coat the floor underneath with more undercoating or Black Nasty stuff ... That should prevent many problems for a long time ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 am

Well, it didn’t POUR yet , but it’s Coming ... :frightened: Wish I had my side drip edges installed ... :duh:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

FoamStream...

Postby Ned B » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:41 pm

GPW, looking at your new drip edge diagram brings up a question: on a New build, should we wrap our covering material (duck cloth) down around the corner to the bottom, let that dry and Then Apply the drip edge? The Or just run the cloth over the top edge apply paint & that's good enough?

My first inclination is to seal the envelope first, then come back with a narrow strip about 5-6" and seal the drip edge in a flashing method of sorts.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:32 am

Ned , I think it all comes down to pre-planning for a drip edge ... I missed that idea when building the FS , and now have to do an ”add on” ... :duh:

" seal the envelope first”... that does seem like the best idea ... :thinking: :thumbsup: So many ways to put in a drip edge ... :roll: just deciding is confusing ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:07 pm

Got my boards for the drip edge today ... 1” X 4” X 10’ PT Pine Clear and dry ...less than $20.00 for all three NICE !!! also got the edges trimmed at the Guitar Company a few blocks away ... Going to prime and paint them before installing ... Coming along now .... :thumbsup: ( Just in time for Spring monsoon season .. April Showers ... :frightened:  )

Ps, I bought three boards just in case something went wrong ... only cut two ... Safety Man ... that and it’s 18 mi to the Lumberyard ... :o
Attachments
DSCF0071.jpg
DSCF0071.jpg (195.4 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:43 am

And of course , today it’s raining ... AGAIN ... :rainy: So today we’ll set up the horses in the Studio, put some paper down and prime the heck out of the boards with some Glidden Gripper .... We’ve had great luck using this particular wood outside , so anticipate no long term problems with the material , and we will give then a proper paint job , and caulk the attachment holes too ... Do it now and we won’t have to do it later ... hopefully ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:04 am

The priming ... and also some laminating of foam parts (airplane parts) with the Gripper ( left, under the can ) ... Now to make some canvas tape ... :thinking:
Attachments
DSCF0072.jpg
DSCF0072.jpg (199.54 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:23 am

25 degree's and snow in the air. Going to to a little fixing from the 5000 mile road trip and go camping Sunday Monday and Tuesday. Forecast is 65 degree's T shirt weather. ;)
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:47 am

80F here yesterday , rained all day ... like snow just wetter ... cold front now , High of only 75 F today , I have my hoodie on ... :lol: True !! :o

Enjoyed the pics of your travels Ken !!! ... and seeing your trailer up close too ... :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:34 am

Now let’s talk about that drip edge ... Primed , but I’ve had to sand out some runs ( my bad ) ... then re-prime and then put on several coats of exterior paint ... I had to let the Gripper dry THOROUGHLY as it’s rubbery if fresh, no fun to sand ... Trying to no a nice job , so I only have to do it once ... :roll:
Less than 2 months till the start of Hurricane season .... With the crazy weather extremes lately we do want to be ready to leave if necessary ... ;)

And of course the other demands of life ... We’ve been busy working on our KCS RR Cafe painting in Shreveport LA , a memory from my childhood , some 60 years ago ... several months invested in that already ... (see pic )

Making Foamie trailers isn’t all we do ... :D
Attachments
DSCF0080.jpg
DSCF0080.jpg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
KCS RR Cafe .jpg
KCS RR Cafe .jpg (122.08 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies