FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:53 am

It’s OK to read ahead … a lot of the babble was written waiting for the paint to dry … :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:36 pm

GPW wrote: ... and we’re back !!! 
The little milkhouse heater was run from a 50’ extension cord and into the FS electrical system/GFI ...Worked fine ... But I’m sure I lost a bit of power over the extension cord length , a 25’ cord would likely be better, providing more power to the heater, and faster heating ..

Sitting there just doing nothing but munching on some leftover bread pudding and a Diet coke (that makes sense huh ? ) , I really noticed how HUGE this thing is inside... :o Sitting on the floor cushions, felt like I was in a blimp hanger... :roll: The thought occurred that I might be pushing the limit of what could be called a Tiny travel trailer ... :oops: :NC

So... I'm chipping away, on page 150 now. GPW did the 'sauna' test on January 6, 2014 when it was 20 degrees overnight. Here are my observations:

1) Wouldn't an RC Cola and a Moon Pie have been far more appropriate to munch on during your experiment, being so far south of the Mason-Dixon line?
B) You remarked about the time it took to get it up to 70 from where it started at 30 (and noted that it was much warmer when you stood up!) but I am almost more interested in how long it maintains a comfortable temperature after you turn off the power.
Fourthly, two adults milling about in there (milling about can mean different things to different folks at different life stages, I suppose... :lol: ) will generate a fair amount of heat and lessen the need for electrical BTU infusion.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:11 am

1. Unfortunately those are No longer on my diet … :( ( we don’t do sodas of any kind anymore … )
2. Yep, more cows in the barn means more heat … 3.5” of foam insulation “should” keep it there a while … But we didn’t test that specifically … not yet anyway , but maybe others have ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:31 pm

(from page 156)
GPW wrote:Well then , the ice /rain/shush stopped .... finally ... Now it’s just COLD and clear ... mid 20’s ... supposed to stay that way for a day or two then back to 72F on Saturday ... TG !!!

Funny , made a couple pots of beans yesterday .... Put it in containers for the freezer, then put them outside ... a couple hours , they were Frozen solid ...Then moved them to the freezer... :lol:

Up here in the frozen tundra of MinneSNOWta, we are usually able to store frozen goods outside without worry on the north side of the house for about three months of the year. :snow

Miraculously :worship: we are also able to walk on water outside during that same period. :shock: :lol:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:56 am

RJ, if we want Ice here , we have to buy or make it … Not as fortunate as you are … here in the land of the long summer … Tomorrow is going to be in the 80’s here … already :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:42 pm

Back on page 192...
GPW wrote:We wanted to show how the fabric skin shrinks over time and exposure ... These close up pics are ~ 1/16” exposed primer where the seams pulled apart from shrinking :frightened: .... only two we found and on the nose . :roll: We’ll fix those before the intense FS washing/Fall cleaning coming up , likely tomorrow ... 8) :D
note: seams with generous overlap did Not show any signs of separation.. :thumbsup: and another good reason for the reinforcing strips underneath ... :thinking:

I don't recall if any discussion was had in the Big thread about this but might there be merit to using multiple layers of thin (think bedsheets) material/canvas as opposed to one thick layer as you used on the Foamstream? How might multiple layers interact with each other? Would/could such a thing prevent the splitting you and Mary (and I presume others) have experienced in the fabric skin due to shrinkage?
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:53 pm

From page 196...
GPW wrote:We got to spend a pleasant afternoon with Kenneth W and his wife Dixie ... We talked and talked about foamie' trailers , and Ken did a really Nice job on his All Foam Foamie ... Sad to see them go but we had a nice opportunity to get acquainted ... And here are the Pictures ... :pictures:

Two adults AND that dog in THAT tiny trailer????? They must all be REEEEEEEEEEALLY friendly! :lol:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 pm

From page 199...
GPW wrote:Brushing on epoxy sure would be easier , but I was hoping the pressure of the “squirt" would drive the Mix into all those tiny little places ... I’d really hook up a spray gun and compressor if I had a lot to do , but it’s hardly worth the effort for just a couple little spots ... :thinking: This way I can just lie on my back under the trailer and just spray what looks like it may benefit ... Easy !!! And that will only be around the edges next to the newly to be installed drip edge, so what doesn’t “take hold" will merely run off ... 8) Trying to keep it as simple as possible .... Getting Old now !!! Things not as easy as they used to be ... :roll:

So, I've been thinking... :twisted: when you mention needing to do things to the underside of the trailer. When we are speaking here of a foamy that weighs in the hundreds of pounds as opposed to a traditionally constructed home built or larger commercial trailer that weighs in the thousands, I wonder about the possibility/feasibility of safely rolling the thing onto it's side. If one were to use a block and tackle or a come-along (maybe a pair of them, one to pull it over and another to act as a brake) and maybe roll it onto a bed of foam planks or other such soft landing zone, you could work on the underside in relative ease. This could make easy work of replacing the springs, eh? 8)
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:56 am

All those are good ideas Rob !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:20 am

Well... the "next" button disappeared so I must have reached the end! :?

I hope I didn't miss a page when powering through the last few days but... about ten pages back you started mentioning having replaced the floor (past tense) but the last mention prior to the drip edge design/build was just some minor repair to the OSB at the nose. You mentioned the floor replacement in other threads so I was actually interested in the how and why that all came about and how you actually did it.

Oh, and as ususal... :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:18 am

Here ya’ go !!! ;) viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70479

And just saying , every problem was caused by me , or by my my not knowing , or even forgetting … the major things were …
1. the OSB floor softened all around because I got in a rush and forgot to soak the floor with the mix. ( my Dumb)
2. We didn’t realize how much the morning dew was running under our trailer every day , and that constant soaking eventually softened the T2 ( Not waterproof )and caused the canvas to rot … the simple installation of drip edges completely eliminated this problem , which is why I recommend using them now … especially if you live in a wet area like I do …
3. I replaced the floor with a board floor like on my 20+ year old tiny cargo trailer … I used treated clear wood and the results were very nice and I don’t anticipate any future problems.

Even I’m amazed how long the old FoamStream has held up so well …totally living outside in the open … :o ( 6 years and counting ) I’m getting ready to outfit it again for the upcoming Hurricane season. We’ll be just doing some little things to add more creature comforts without adding much weight … It's just a big ole’ empty submarine -like structure , not cramped at all , and with so many pillows , who needs furniture ? It keeps the wife Happy knowing we have a place to go if we need to bug-out … Living on the Gulf Coast we’re a Target every summer … Every so many years we’re forced to leave … Gotta’ be ready … especially with the weather becoming more hostile every year ... :thumbsup:
And at 70 now , I’m not getting any younger, need to be prepared without a lot of fuss.. or expense…

This whole experience has been a Wonderful adventure and so much Fun … and It took a while , just like it takes a while to read about it … :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:33 am

rjgimp wrote:... I wonder about the possibility/feasibility of safely rolling the thing onto it's side.

Been there, done that. Yes on foam scrap creepers (and a moving blanket). No on the come-along, depending on size and weight. A friend and I were able to roll TPCE on its side easily by hand.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:12 am

KC, and how’s that going ? We’ve been faithfully watching TPCE for some time now !!! Even Game of Thrones is ending !!! :o Just sayin’ …
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:23 am

I have no excuses. I've just been procrastinating. :oops:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:02 am

GPW wrote:And at 70 now , I’m not getting any younger...

On that topic... I recall a hundred or so pages back that folks were giving you :new-bday: salutations... on MY birthday, 10/21! Do I recall that correctly? Looks like we are an even 20 years apart.
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies