The DreamLiner

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Bob, to throw a wrench into the mental exercise...

From a fluid-dynamics perspective I think you are putting the proverbial cart before the horse...quite literally. I can see where you're going and I would agree if we were kicking ideas around for a motorhome or a tow vehicle.

I think the primary importance on a trailer needs to be in maintaining a smooth flow from the tow vehicle over the trailer. Were the trailer operating in clean air, a streamlined nose would be perfect. As it is, the volume removed from the width of the nose to create the cone or wedge will actually create a dead space where the flow will form a vortex on each side and get trapped, like a back eddy in a creek or a poorly-trimmed sail.
Given the scale we're talking about, I don't think it's a major issue unless you are thinking of fuel economy on a cross country tow, but you have already displaced the air and accelerated it with the front of the tow vehicle, now it will need to be displaced again to move the trailer forward.

If you look at semi trailers, they are a square box and the aerodynamic concessions are made by fairing the cab's profile into the trailer. There is an argument to be made for the aerodynamic shift during a turn, but most of our towing is done straight ahead. That's why you see a bifurcated inlet duct on some jets.

From the standpoint of aerodynamic efficiency, the 'best' cross section for the front of the trailer would be the identical cross section of the tow vehicle, scaled down slightly depending on cruising speed. Then a taper to the rear is the way to go, but not to a point because the flow off the back of the trailer's sides will collide and again create a turbulent spot which will induce drag.

Given it's intended use, the optimal cross section will be somewhere between a teardrop for aerodynamics (less power & less fuel to tow) and a square box (accommodation). We all build within that range and I think you are trying to go too far to one side of the equation, but that's JMHO.

In a nutshell, you are creating a hole of quiet air in an airflow whose apparent speed equals cruising speed. The trick is to put as much trailer as possible into that hole without any sticking out. The airflow will tend to 'suck in' a bit behind the trailer ('nature abhors a vacuum') so all you need to do is keep that flow smooth from the grille of the tow vehicle to the back of the trailer.

If you don't sail, look up how to use the telltales on a sail - they are there specifically to show the flow over the sail.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Mojave Bob » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:36 pm

WW -- Excellent information! As I mentioned, I am not an engineer, but I am a creative thinker. Ok... think of the trailer not as a vehicle in its own right, but as an extension of the tow vehicle... Another design is formulating even as I type. I'll perc on it a while and see what pops out.
Mojave Bob
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:34 pm

One of the best ways of maximizing your streamlining/ mileage is to SLOW DOWN .... Drag increases at speed ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:57 pm

Ah GeeP, where's the fun in that ?
:lol:

Thx Bob, I'm certainly no engineer either - just a guy whose plans and pocketbook never seem to meet in the middle...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Mojave Bob » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:29 am

GPW wrote:One of the best ways of maximizing your streamlining/ mileage is to SLOW DOWN .... Drag increases at speed ... :o

Yep, I believe the drag increases exponentially over the increase in speed. We typically tow at between 50 and 55 mph (we travel the blue highways and avoid interstates). I currently tow a LittleGuy 4-wide (built with alufiber, filon and composite board instead of plywood) with a Chevy Prizm, and find that it is a good match.

I am trying to design a larger standie that I can tow with the same car, and acheive similar results. To do that, I would have to have pretty good aerodynamics and low weight. So, I can float a design, and see what problems people point out with it, and then incorporate those changes into the next design, until I eventually get to something that should work. Don't be surprised if some of the concepts seem a little over the top, because I am rejecting the basic box and other standard formulas as being the answer (I already have a teardrop, and if it were big enough to stand in, I couldn't tow it) Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry. Next idea is percolating!!
Mojave Bob
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 am

MBob, This is all a great mental exercise , and I think your goals are easily achievable ... Foamies are Extremely light , so towing is ridiculously efficient to begin with ... streamlining works .. the key is sloped /rounded surfaces ...
Drag ... 3 types ...
1. Profile drag .. The cross section shape that appears to the relative wind .. the bigger the profile area (facing the wind) the more drag .... Simple !!!
2. Parasitic drag ... all the stuff sticking out , lights , mirrors , license plate, door handles ... adds up quick ...
3. Skin friction drag ... slicker , shinier , smoother , the better ... rough surfaces create more drag ... logical !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mojave Bob » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:09 am

GPW wrote:MBob, This is all a great mental exercise , and I think your goals are easily achievable ... Foamies are Extremely light , so towing is ridiculously efficient to begin with ... streamlining works .. the key is sloped /rounded surfaces ...
Drag ... 3 types ...
1. Profile drag .. The cross section shape that appears to the relative wind .. the bigger the profile area (facing the wind) the more drag .... Simple !!!
2. Parasitic drag ... all the stuff sticking out , lights , mirrors , license plate, door handles ... adds up quick ...
3. Skin friction drag ... slicker , shinier , smoother , the better ... rough surfaces create more drag ... logical !!!

I think we can also add to the Profile drag trailing edge drag -- the size of the vacuum and vortices being created behind the trailer at highway speeds. These can also be huge -- I can remember 30 years ago, drafting behind semi trucks with my car in neutral, just being sucked along. Not recommended...
Mojave Bob
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 pm

True but you can manage that ... With a big trailer , There's Little you can do to keep the flow attached unless the taper is very gradual ... Even a TD suffers there ... Long slender is the better shape ... and while you're at it , might consider wheel fairings to reduce drag there ... On planes , they call them wheel pants ... Everything adds up when you're doing drag reduction ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby squatch » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Reading WW description above got me thinking. My 1st thought was a train. Everything in the row fits the same profile as the one in front of it. I used to do a lot of long distance cycling and club rides when I still had knees. I'm a big fellow and have pulled a lot of pace lines (several riders drafting each other) over the years. A pace line can go much faster than a single rider for a long time. But there are some crazy aerodynamic things going on that you can really feel when you are the engine. Once speed gets up over 20 mph if it is a nice tight line it is near impossible for the lead rider to pull away from a long group in a straight line. It's like the entire group is pulling on the back of your shirt holding you in the same slipstream. Now if you jump sideways out of the slip stream you can do what you want if you have the strength. And we are only talking about 20 MPH here. It goes up greatly as speed increases. If a rider opens the gap between themselves and the rider in front of them more than a few inches the lead rider will feel it big time. There is a lot to be said for matching that little space between vehicles.

I have thought about this myself. I think that is why SUVs make good tow vehicles when the trailer fits behind the trucks profile. My boat fits inside the wind shadow of my Trooper and barely costs me any mileage. If it was a foot or so wider it would probably hurt economy greatly. Behind a boxy SUV you trailer would probably work great with a fairly flat front with just enough rounding that the front doesn't bite air on the curves of the road like a square edged front might. Then you could "boat tail" the rear all you wanted. A car with the drop off at the back of the cab will complicate things for sure.

I've towed a lot of trailers over the years. I don't think I would ever hitch up a trailer to my truck that had the axle forward of center no matter the weight bias. Trailers that are rear heavy, either weight or wind get crazy untidy quick when towing. I liken it to trying to push a rope. Move the axle back a bit and you can pull that rope fine.

Here is a cool site. These folks know a lot about small car aerodynamics and boat tailing cars. Some good reading there.
http://ecomodder.com/
squatch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wagondude » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:44 am

One other thing to consider in your design. With the tail so long behind the axle, you will need to be aware of how inclines and dips in the road will affect ground clearance at the rear of the trailer. every time the tongue goes up, the rear of the trailer goes down. You will need to slope the rear floor up (or shorten it) to keep it from hitting the ground.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mojave Bob » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:49 am

wagondude wrote:One other thing to consider in your design. With the tail so long behind the axle, you will need to be aware of how inclines and dips in the road will affect ground clearance at the rear of the trailer. every time the tongue goes up, the rear of the trailer goes down. You will need to slope the rear floor up (or shorten it) to keep it from hitting the ground.

Bill

Yes, I think there are multiple issues with that layout, however it was great for brainstorming purposes. My biggest concern from a practicality standpoint is the sail effect behind the axle. I am concerned about stability in a crosswind.

What I am trying to explore is the possibilities for aerodynamics using the foam construction. I am convinced that, with today's cars, air drag has a larger effect on gas mileage than does weight. A good case in point is that I used to often get 24-26 mpg towing my Scamp 13 (1600 lbs) with a 4.3L GMC Jimmy, while I only get 27-28 mpg towing my 700 lb LittleGuy with a Chevy Prizm. The Scamp fit the SUV profile well, while the LittleGuy is a relative brick behind a sedan bodied car. I am guessing that a vertical V front would be better behind a conventional car than is the horizontal barrel shape of the teardrop. I suspect the barrel front pushes too much air down under the trailer instead of over and around.

So, now I am scheming on a folding design that fits the profile of a car, not extending above the trunk lid, with functional aerodynamic enhancements.
Mojave Bob
Teardrop Master

Postby Mojave Bob » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:53 am

Maybe I should test my own theory about the barrel front and make a trunk-lid mounted foam airfoil. If I could nudge the air up over the teardrop, I could do comparative gas mileage tests.
Mojave Bob
Teardrop Master

Postby sushidog » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:43 pm

I've considered this concept myself, but got lazy and bought an Aliner LXE that I pull with a 4 cyl car. Instead of improving aerodynamics, I chose to reduce the frontal area. Remember you want to reduce your Cda, (drag coefficient times frontal area) not just your Cd. I usually get 23-25mpg pulling it up and down mountains with my Chevy Cobalt SS depending on how heavy my foot is. Yes, I take a big hit on MPG, from its usual low 30 range, but it's still better than 99% of the other rigs on the road. When I drop the camper, I'm back up to my usual great mileage when doing the tourist thing. This means that I usually average over 26 MPG over my entire vacation. Some do better (mainly those towing with Diesel Jettas) but not many.

Here's a pic of my current rig on the road:
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=29627
And another of it camping in the Smokies (where I'll be next week.)
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=42846

However, a design like this would be the best of both worlds.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=22332
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=22333
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=22334

I planned on building it as a foamie on an aluminum trailer with a light weight aluminum cage around the lower half for rigidity with similar strengthening around the top too. Think of it as a large, foamie, Hi-Lo tear.

Chip
sushidog
Teardrop Advisor

Re: The DreamLiner

Postby mezmo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:35 am

Hi Mojave Bob,

[04/09/12 Note: I was having computer problems and didn’t have any
way to scan and save to a file and then post. ‘Just got that ability back
today. I just found a couple drawings I did last summer in my “pile file” so
I thought I’d post this anyway even though it is a good bit past the
the time of the last posting in the thread.]

[Note:]
[These are just suggestions again – I’m not trying to hijack
your design or idea(s)!!! Also, this was done up before I saw any posts
after my last post of 8/12/11, and I haven’t edited it any to reflect any
subsequent posts after 8/12/11, other than this note. Therefore there
might be some of the same suggestions/considerations others have already
made included – possibly. I’m having computer problems so I didn’t
get this posted when planned.]

Since I like playing around with trailer designs:

I did a couple draw-ups of things I’ve thought about ‘RE:’ your build. –
These are how I usually try out ideas and such. Sorry if they appear to
be a bit cluttered. I always jot down any additional thing I think of
on the draw-ups when I go back and look at them again over time.

A few questions & suggestions about things that bear on the design
but haven’t really been mentioned yet specifically, from what I recall.
If they are things you’re thinking about, or already have thought about
just please bear with me. These are in no particular order, just as they
came to me.

1 – What is your tow-vehicle?- shape? - height?
2 – Will the wheels be inboard or outboard? – I think inboard is
best – out of the air flow. They should also have either a flat smooth
disk style hubcap or the wheel opening be skirted and flush with
the sidewalls. If outboard they need an aero style fender etc.
3 – The belly/underneath should be enclosed and one smooth surface
if possible, and probably the tongue top and bottom surfaces too –
that could also be integrated with a tongue box if you do one.
4 – A couple things that fellow member angib has brought up ‘RE:’
aerodynamics over time, bear on your design I think. First: If the angle
or curve of the taper used for attempting ‘areo’ is >15degrees from
the plane [surface] it is departing from, then you lose most benefit.
Second: Behind a tow vehicle, any attempt to use a design at the
front of the trailer that is ‘aero’ becomes more a styling thing than
‘aero’. Granted, there are a lot of variables, but the idea is that the
tow vehicle has already ‘punched’ through the air so the best thing
to do is try our best to have the trailer follow suit through the same size
hole/path through the air – at least for the front of the trailer.
5 - I’d suggest using 1/4inch squared graph paper to try and keep proportions
correct when sketching. The scale I use is 4 squares =1 inch for a 1 inch
= 1 foot scale. I just tape pages together if I need a larger size for the
larger drawings. [Couldn’t tell from your drawings if you already were using it.]
6 – Have you ever heard of the Kammback? It is an Austrian/German invention or idea
whereby researchers have determined that one doesn’t need a full length
‘tail’ or tapered body to achieve almost the full effect that the fully tapered body
gives. [Remember taper not >15 degrees off of the surface plane of departure.]
Their rule of thumb is: you can “cut off” the ‘tail’ at the point in the taper where
the section area equals ½ of the section area of the greatest body section area.
The ideal ‘cut’ is vertical, but most slant forward or back some in practice –
mostly for looks it seems. I’ll include some links about that at the end – quite
interesting and some good web sites.
7 – The draw-ups I’ve done use flat panels connected through curved bends of
sorts and the ‘radiused’ front walls of your initial plan, as well as ‘radiused’
joints. Sharp edges are an aero no-no it seems. If you want to get really into
it you could gently curve all the wall and roof panels similarly to how plywood
boat builders do, even borrowing some of their techniques – e.g. stitch-and-glue.
Forum member angib has some very good info on that at this link from
the design page and The Amazing Trailorboat :

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear44.htm

Don’t key on its front shape but rather the curved wall panels and such. And he
includes a link to Carlson Design that offers free shareware that’ll allow you to
figure out and cut the panels necessary to make curved walls etc.. It must also
be possible to find/Google some old boatbuilding techniques that could apply too.
The design Library also has trailer balance and tongue strength sections too if
you hadn’t checked them yet.
8 – One final thing I just realized (!) concerns the departure angle of the front sloping
roof where it meets the flat main roof. That is about a 20 degree angle from the
main roof plane. Using flat panels, as we are here, it’d be better to break the roof
into three planes so the each is 15 degrees or less off each other. Of course, I
realized this after everything was drawn, but better to discover that now instead
of after a build. Flat panels were ‘used’ for easier construction. Curved panels
may be able to get around this, but they are much more difficult and time
consuming to do, but they are doable.

9a – Finally! Here are the two draw-ups I did. The first concerns tail-end taper. I did
it in 15 degrees off the departure plane [sidewall] and off the centerline up where
they meet. This was done for both 5 & 6 foot wide. Just for the heck of it, I also
included a 30 degree departure from the sidewall plane and also a 45 degree
departure since that is what I surmised your original drawing intended. I’ve also
noted where the varying 50% of the max body sections are on the various taper
scenarios [using the 15 degree departure angle limit.], as well as where the original
12 ft end of the body is. The 12ft point shows the cut off section width as about 3ft9”
so you may as well just widen it to 4ft for ease of build since the taper for that end
width would be under the 15 degree maximum departure angle rule.

The Taper Draw-up:

9b – Here is the Foamie plan and side view. [NOTE: These are on a 2 grid square
= 1 ft scale. This is different from the Taper Draw-up’s scale.] Again, sorry if it is a
bit busy. I hope the notations make sense. On the plan on the bottom I superimposed
the 5 wide, 6 wide, and my recommendation for the frontal area being = to, or
slightly smaller than, the tow vehicle’s max cross-section. The back shows the 15
degree taper from the departure plane/side wall to centerline as the inside line, while
the outside taper line is for the 4ft end width at the bottom – these being for the 6ft
width. The 5ft width would be a very narrow end wall base of about 2.5 ft.
Just for aesthetic or looks I’ve continued the rooftop out another 18 inches using
using a 15 degree off vertical slant at the 12ft point. That will make the top end to be
~3ft wide, due to continued taper per length. So, the end wall becomes a back slanting
trapezoid shape, much less abrupt appearing than a vertical back wall. I don’t know
if it helps/hurts the aero effect much but I’d guess it doesn’t matter. On the side view
I show 4ft and 5ft tall front walls. I’d go for the 5ft just in general. It’d most likely
fit most tow vehicle’s max or departure section [depending what fits best.], but
adapt it for your specific needs – maybe 4ft6” is better? The 5ft height would
probably fit a variety of tow vehicles, in case you change them. For illustration
purposes I surmised a 3” frame/chassis height/thickness and 1” thick floor. I put an
additional 3-4” thickness by the wheels for the belly pan as I like the look of a slight
downward taper from the ends to the wheel. Flat would work too. A rule of thumb I
start with is that the wheel’s forward edge is at or just behind the crosswise centerline
of the bottom of the trailer’s body at the floor. The door could be placed to allow a
12’ to 18” wall from the door’s rear edge to the end wall base. I tried to ‘ghost in’ the
interior a bit for reference. Again, all the wall and roof and floor joints should be
radiused to eliminate sharp edges.
[Upon review, I see I may have had a problem with
stating the frontal dimensions for the trailer. I assume a 1ft ground clearance, that
I may have overlooked. But it still centers on the max section or departure section
area of the tow vehicle. The trailer frontal area could be 5w x 3h, or 5w x 4h, or
5w x 5h, or any intermediate appropriate height depending on the ‘TowVee’ height
and trailer width depends on ‘TowVee’ width and the corresponding max cross-
section that results. Whether ground clearance is part of the equation needs more
research/reading on my part.]

The Foamie Plan and Side View Draw-Up:

I’m not any kind of expert on this, I just put together what info I’ve managed to recall
on the matters involved. I think the measures/numbers are correct, but double check
them to be sure. I used a max section area of 6x6=36 square feet for 6ft wide, with
50% of that being 18 square feet for the cutoff section; and 5x6=30 square feet for the
5ft wide max section with the 50% of that being 15 square feet for its cutoff section.
[In case I haven’t mentioned it, a “section” is a vertically (usually) oriented slice view
across the building/vehicle structure width – as in cross-section.] The height used to
figure all the 50% vertical base end widths was 6ft since that is the planned interior
height at that point. Dividing the 6ft height into the 50% cross-section values gave
the widths of the end wall bases at those points. The ‘cut off’ points on the taper are
are determined by dividing the end wall widths by two and locating those distances
on each side of the centerline. Where each half-width intersects on the taper line
gives you the location of the ‘cut off’ point for each total width.

And finally here are the Kammback links I mentioned earlier. These are included as they
were a good intro to the subject. Just Google ”Kammback” and there are plenty more of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback

http://scientificmethodfueleconomy.blog ... mback.html

http://homepage.mac.com/christopher.z/h ... kStory.htm

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.p ... -3518.html

[This last web site is very good RE real world aero mods.]

Sorry this got so long! I hope there isn’t a length limit on here!

Like I said earlier - just things to consider or think about – as if there aren’t
Enough of them already! Ha!

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: The DreamLiner

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 am

where on earth did this thread come from? how have i missed it all this time? i love seeing another foamie being built. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies