Question about installing hard points for mounting

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby atahoekid » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:49 am

Do you think that a "plate" of 1/2" plywood will provide enough holding power for the screws? I'm not planning on mounting anything heavy except for a heater, which I might mount on a shelf. If not, I see the wisdom of your plan.

Can I ask how you create such nice illustrations? I studied drafting and design for a while and even worked as a draftsman during my college years, but I'm stuck with paper and pencil, I've tried sketch up and another free autocad drafting program without much success (probably a lack of patience). I'd sure like come up to speed.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:58 am

Hey GPW. another quick question. Do you think the hard points need to be sealed with the poly/mineral spirits mix?
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:24 am

Kid... Since the HPs will be covered over with fabric (encapsulated ) , don't think they need to be sealed ... But if placed on the exterior , I would use some type of sealer for the screw hole... I use bee's wax for screw sealing ...
The bigger the inset plate , the more it spreads the load of the attached hardware ...
Doing illustrating here in Paint brush , (Mac) , similar to MS Paint ... Favorite is still pencil and paper ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies