Cargo foamie to tow behind my slide-in truck camper?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Cargo foamie to tow behind my slide-in truck camper?

Postby calinb » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:58 am

I have a slide-in truck camper but need to carry more stuff than I can fit in the camper. Accordingly, I'd like to build a light weight enclosure for my Harbor Freight 4x8 1080lb trailer--preferably something I could remove to retain the flat bed utility, when needed. Keeping the grit off of my stuff when driving on gravel roads is my main objective (which is actually harder than keeping stuff dry! :().

I need to build something simple (within the next month). I've been thinking that I might be able to build a tip-up teardrop foamie shell that would hinge at the front and latch down at the sides and back. It would be easy to seal from dust, grit, and the elements along the bottom against the HF trailer's 3/4" plywood floor. My cargo foamie would not require any doors or windows and would probably be light enough to be supported by gas spring struts on each side when open.

My main concern is making the unit stiff enough to be open at the bottom. I could build it with a fairly narrow perimeter frame at the bottom of the foamie "shell" to provide a sealing surface when closed and also additional stiffness at the bottom. The roof canvas could wrap longitudinally all the way around the front and back edges at the bottom perimeter frame and continue along the interior surface of the ceiling. Similarly, the canvas covering the exterior sides could wrap around the bottom of the side frame and up the interior walls. This canvas "monocoque" might provide the stiffness needed when unlatched and tipped open.

Now that I think about it, my "clamshell" teardrop foamie might actually have some advantages as a travel trailer too, being easy to build and seal from the elements. It would be nice to cut a couple of windows in it, of course for housing more than just cargo.

Any and all feedback about my idea would be most appreciated. Until Moho told me about it in the "Introduce Yourself" section of the forum, I'd never even heard of "foamie" construction!

-Cal
calinb
Teardrop Inspector

RE: Cargo Foamie

Postby mezmo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:33 am

Hi calinb/cal,

Welcome to the forum and the Foamie section!

Your idea is perfectly doable. The perfect thing to "clone in Foam" is the
flip top snowmobile trailer/"trailer cover". Just size the top to your
required L x W x H dimensions.

Here are a few random links. Just Google 'snow mobile trailers/
enclosed snowmobile trailers' for more:

http://www.tritontrailers.com/products/ ... ubCatID=27

http://www.tritontrailers.com/products/ ... o=features

http://www.worthingtontrailers.com/trai ... ilers.aspx

http://www.montrosetrailers.com/gallery ... ers?page=1

http://www.aluminumtrailers.org/?page_id=769

I'd use a perimeter "frame" of sealed 1x2s or 2x2s
or aluminum tubing around your foam panels. I think it'd help in joining
them together myself,that's just how I'd approach it.
There are other methods as well. Your overlapping the sides, and sides
and top with the fabric and glue or epoxy, or whatever you're using, is
spot on for the famous [here at least] "sock effect".

Good luck with the build. It should be pretty straightforward. GPW's
camo-foamie would be a good precursor also.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:26 am

WOW , those snob trailers would be so Easy to make as a Foamie ... and what a Cool design they are ... 8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby calinb » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:27 pm

Those snob trailer look really nice, Norm/mezmo! What another great idea from a forum member here. I'm so glad I joined.

I was looking at "The Ultralight" teardrop profile and calculated that the length would be just right for the 4x8 HF trailer plywood floor, if a 15-5/16" straight section were added between the curves to lengthen the profile. (The HF version of the "Trailer for Two" design is actually designed for a lengthened HF trailer floor.)

But now you've got me thinking that some of these snob profiles, with their flat roof panels, would be even quicker to build than a teardrop. They might eliminate the need to cut kerfs in the roofing foam (or at least reduce the number of cuts, depending on the profile selected).

The very short radius corners could probably be retained, if desired, by cutting or even sanding the outside radius into the corners with a a belt sander before covering with canvas. (I'll have to experiment sanding some pink foam that I have laying around.) Somewhat larger radius curves might be most easily reproduced with a short roofing segment of curved sheet aluminum.

To my eyeball, this roof profile appears to be possible in foam just by mitering the roof corners and sanding the outside curve:
http://www.aluminumtrailers.org/?page_id=769&pid=263

Whatever I build, I will of course take pictures and "give back" to the forum.

-Cal
calinb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Cal, foam sands really nice ... quick with a belt sander ...easy to round edges !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby 2tall4myhair » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:25 pm

I have been thinking that these would be pretty would be pretty easy to duplicate in foam. I was considering one before, but now with all of the foam trailers being built, it seems like an even better idea.

If you built one like the snowmobile trailers, it would be even easier and should work just as well.
2tall4myhair
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:14 pm

2tall, Welcome to TT&T !!! .. and to Foamies !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:44 am

Sure would like to see more design ideas on this .... Clamshell style would allow easy lifting (light) and maybe a bit of tent on the sides as it opens up ??? :thinking: This could also be applied to the big lift up hatches on something like a Winter Warrior ... :roll: (Light !!!)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby calinb » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:04 am

I've purchased the foam, wood, and glue, but still need to go online to some of the canvas dealers posted to these forum. I'm planning to build a stretched version of the Ultralight teardrop profile. I have five 2" foam panels, 1x2s, 2x2s, and Gorilla Glue and Tightbond II. I'm trying to finish a home decking project and this project is the next one in the queue!
calinb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:49 am

welcome to the foamie section!

please once your build comes up in the queue please, start a new build thread. i will link it with the other build threads.

looking forward to it and also, don't forget the pics, even if you think they are nothing. we (I) love pics.

welcome again.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:50 pm

When I was building my all fiberglass and foam airplane on some of the rounded edges we use scrap foam against foam.

foam against foam worked well back then I've never tried using pink foam against pink foam.

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Foamies