Pop Top Lift/Stablizier Idea

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Pop Top Lift/Stablizier Idea

Postby bonnie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:01 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-Teardrop-Tear-Drop-Trailer-Rear-Galley-Props-NEW-/260810735785?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb98800a9

Would this work to hold a pop top up? The sides on my top top may very well end up being canvas or nylon. Think the old VW camper popups.

Was thinking one at each corner. Fold them in to shut the roof. With foam it wouldn't weigh much and I am looking for ideas. I don't really want to put the folding flaps in. I need to cut weight as much as possible.

As they say on other forums: discuss!

Bonnie, who is gathering supplies for her build. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:06 am

I think the problem would be keeping the top down not up if you were to use these struts they look to be very powerful.

The price for 4 would almost buy all your supplies for the build.

others will have Ideas on how to raise your top, good luck and keep us posted.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:25 am

I know this is an off the wall idea , BUT ... :roll: Being a musician too , I was thinking about those microphone stands ... Just a “clutchâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Pete, I thought about that too. They sell per pair, so I would be making an investment, for sure.

GPW, I like both those ideas. Do you think those rubber chair leg protectors would be strong enough to hold them steady, or would I have to fabricate or find some sort of clip? Speaking specifically about the microphone stands.

Great ideas. Keep them coming.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:53 am

What about a scissors type hinge in each corner. You could even craft them from a couple pieces of hardwood. With brass mounts and pivots they should look pretty cool and you can make them to the exact length that you desire!!! :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:09 am

Mel, I hadn't thought about wood. Do you know where I could get the metal parts? Getting the details down before I start spending tons of money. Though the car gets a hitch a week from Saturday. :applause:
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:19 am

Wood , :o Why not just use some Large dowels , drilled in strategic locations for Pins/clips ??? Thrifty idea ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Aligator944 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:25 am

When cleaning my garage I came across some brand new hatchback struts from my old Porsche 944. I plan to try them to lift the top for my campmaster style teardrop, when I get that far. I figure if they could lift the steel and glass of a big car hatch, they should lift some wood and foam. Anyone else try car hatch struts before?
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby bonnie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:36 pm

GPW wrote:Wood , :o Why not just use some Large dowels , drilled in strategic locations for Pins/clips ??? Thrifty idea ... :thinking:

great idea. My local Sears hardware store has dowels pretty reasonably priced. Have to find pins and clips.

ag944, I thought of that too. Might be overkill for this project.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Aligator944 wrote:When cleaning my garage I came across some brand new hatchback struts from my old Porsche 944. I plan to try them to lift the top for my campmaster style teardrop, when I get that far. I figure if they could lift the steel and glass of a big car hatch, they should lift some wood and foam. Anyone else try car hatch struts before?

these are use on several hatch covers still to strong for foam installing them would not be hard but finding how to latch the top down would be the problem.

Porsche 944 struts that will be classy.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Aligator944 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:37 pm

I was wondering if they would be too stout, just pushing on them it is difficult to get much movement.

As far as classy goes, the 944 used a lot of VW parts (good for getting cheap replacement parts) for such items, so it is likely the same one used on a Rabbit. Not so classy now.
Aligator944
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:00 pm

bonnie wrote:Mel, I hadn't thought about wood. Do you know where I could get the metal parts? Getting the details down before I start spending tons of money. Though the car gets a hitch a week from Saturday. :applause:

The dowels that GPW mentioned sound like a real good idea. As far as hardware, you should be able to find pins, clips, etc at one of the big box hardware stores or even your local mom and pop variety hardware store. The hardware should be relatively inexpensive.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Foamies