big thrifty thread

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

big thrifty thread

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:05 am

i understand the frustration of trying to find something that was posted in that big long thread. i also understand that there is lots of every day chit chat going on.

until big mike says otherwise, i will not change that. i feel we need a place where we can just chit chat, and who knows, maybe come up with another idea for our foamies.

if anyone reads that big thread, and then knows they read something to question, please just ask. someone will answer the question.

yes it is a big and very long thread, yes there is lots of chit chat, and will continue to be used for on topic as well as off topic. we have tried to break it down into topics that we turned into sticky's. but as you all have noticed it is long, and who knows if we got everything.

i will also try to keep all other threads on topic. so again, please ask if you can't remember where you read something. there are some regulars here that will be more than happy to help with the answer. so if you want to just chit chat with other foamlings, on topic or otherwise, unless big mike says differently, then by all means use that big thread.

thank you all for making the foamie section a great place and for your understanding.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm not quite sure what we're supposed to talk about here ...??? :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 am

I agree with you Louellla... I like to think of it as our home page. But here's a question for you. Is it possible to create a thread where we can "summarize" the best we can the method(s) for building a foamie. It would have to be pretty systematic so that people can be presented most of the options. i.e. The section on trailer frames would have to discuss welding one yourself, vs. scavenging a frame vs. the HF frame. Once we capture the method, lock the thread for editing and and limit the editors who are allowed to post to that thread. Do not allow changes except for those new methods that pop up now and again. Just leave it as a "read only" thread so that any one looking for a "how to" have a place to go without reading the megathread. If people have questions they can post on the megathread or one of the other threads closer to that topic.

I'd be willing to do a lot of the writing as long as I have a couple of people, (I'm thinking you and GPW and Mike) to edit and correct before we lock it.

I think it might have to be a separate document (maybe a pdf) posted as a thread.

What do you think??? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Thumbs Up :thumbsup: or Thumbs Down :thumbdown:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 am

Mel, I like this idea. :thumbsup:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:59 am

wow, i thought i locked this thread. :lol:

now too sure atahoekid what exactly you mean? if one reads our build threads, one would see exactly how we built them. so far, what has been built is straight forward for the most part. foam, glue/primer, canvas, glue/primer, paint.

we have lots of suggestions for other ideas, but nothing in the works of a build. we already have a thread where the testing of materials is posted.

remember i am old, so i sometimes need things spelled out a little bit more. :( that and i don't know what i am doing anyway. :lol:

lets not give mike anything else to do, he is the boss. he is a busy guy. if we can't handle something, then he doesn't need me anymore. :oops:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:06 am

frame building has been covered a thousand times in the other fourms. so i really don't see a need for that on our foamie section.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:19 am

How about just posting what has worked so far !!! ... and was Thrifty !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:24 am

haven't we already done that? that's my point.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:26 am

True , just some people have a hard time believing it ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:37 am

well, I ithink his point is there have been many other ideas mentioned that may work, but have been lost in the big thread, so will probqbly nevwer get tested. If we had a basic outline, it could include them as "untested ideas" and if someone comes along and likes the sound of it, they can test it... if they only have other builds to follow, these other ideas will surely get lost.

GPW, I know the whole foamy thing here came from the "thriffty" idea, but it shouldn't be forced as the ONLY way or reason, as mentioned else where there are many great reason, and maybe for someone else "thriffty" has nothing to do with it, so again, these othere ideas may not be as thriffty, but may still serve a purpose.

oh, and nope, not locked LOL
I understand why you don't want to end the big thread, I just hate to see half the info lost.

EDIT* I don't think the point is about posting just what's been proven, but what about other good posibilities, or techniques.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:34 am

SJ, that’s True about Thrifty or not ... I was just posting from MY Thrifty perspective (Retired) , assuming the basic idea could be taken and “run with “ ... as it has !!! Not saying you gotta’ build Thrifty , just that you can if you Need to ... ;)
In fact I most warmly invite everyone to try what they think will work ... The more we know , the Better Foamies we can build ...
Just that we don’t want anybody saying their's is better than ours , because we build for individual purpose... What’s Good for them may not be good for us .... But Hey, that’s Cool !!! 8) Everybody tries something different and we agree to disagree... :thumbsup: We still learn from the experience ... It’s All Good !!!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 am

swampjeep wrote:well, I ithink his point is there have been many other ideas mentioned that may work, but have been lost in the big thread, so will probqbly nevwer get tested. If we had a basic outline, it could include them as "untested ideas" and if someone comes along and likes the sound of it, they can test it... if they only have other builds to follow, these other ideas will surely get lost.

GPW, I know the whole foamy thing here came from the "thriffty" idea, but it shouldn't be forced as the ONLY way or reason, as mentioned else where there are many great reason, and maybe for someone else "thriffty" has nothing to do with it, so again, these othere ideas may not be as thriffty, but may still serve a purpose.

oh, and nope, not locked LOL
I understand why you don't want to end the big thread, I just hate to see half the info lost.

EDIT* I don't think the point is about posting just what's been proven, but what about other good posibilities, or techniques.

maybe i am totally missing it here. but, haven't we already posted in the adhesive/glue (i think) thread about other possibilities that are tested and not tested?

i know there is ideas about the hot wire materials, no one has built from that yet. that really is the only thing i know of. is there a particular idea we are talking about here that i am missing?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 am

Louella, it seems to me there were several other ideas - materials to use (old sheets, canvas, other?) and glues, paints, other coatings, plus different ways to make hard points in the foam (cuting hole, fill with epoxy, glue in a dowel, cut a strip out glue in a wood block...), using arcs made of foam as inside support vs framing with wood... seems like there are more ideas too, that were in the big thread, but are not in any other thread here in the foam area... as for the frames, I agree the frame is the same frame basically as any other and not specific to foam, so should not need a full section devorted to just frames here in the foam section.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:28 pm

oh i see. wow, that would mean someone would have to go thru this whole thread again, and pick out those areas you mention, then sort thru it and add to proper specific threads. that is exactly what i tried to do in the begining.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby swampjeep » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:57 pm

well, atahoekid (aka Mel) offered to help out (see above), not sure if this is what was in mind, I also mentioned a long time ago I could help, but as things are, I'm not finding much free time, the almost 2 year old is keeping me busy LOL.

Oh and I understand it would be a time comsuming task and 100% understand if it never happens since I can't offer to do in myself.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Foamies