Camper Without A Name

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Finally Back

Postby Papi » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:31 pm

After spending the summer helping one kid move, working as much as possible, vacation, family reunion in Texas (went to the museum where Kennedy was assassinated while we were there; not what you'd call a fun tour but I recommend it), visiting various doctors and undergoing numerous tests, my wife's uncle by marriage dying this morning, and more, I finally had a day where it wasn't a million degrees outside and/or raining, and the honey-do list was short. Not really sure you'd call it progress, but I made foam dust, and that's more than I've done in months. :x

Tomorrow, I have to do what all us middle-aged kids do, or should do. Cancer runs deep in my family, and my last test was not good, so I have to drink all this 97042 by tomorrow morning! I decided to go out and feed the mosquitos today and play with the camper. My wife called it "nesting" when she cleaned the house surgically clean before giving birth. I mowed, trimmed, and weeded the back yard, so I called it "wildernesting"; she did not see the humor in it. :roll:

Anyhow, while she was at work I made progress. I pulled the tarp off this 97046. Then I hosed it off and was relieved it looked pretty much like when I left it. That's not mold, it's just dirt.I pulled the walls out of the storage shed, clamped them together, and sanded them to make them the same shape. 97043 I also cut the door for the side that didn't have a door frame already. Next, I sanded the foam walls somewhat flat (ever notice the pink stuff is not a uniform thickness?) and slathered a liberal amount of TBII on the foam. I clamped some luaun to the foam, 97044 put every heavy object I could find on it, and waited. :relaxing:

Once it was dry, I sawed and sanded and stained the galley. 97045 The color is Sedona Red Minwax. I'm not 100% in love with the color, but it was free. :thumbsup: It should look OK with the honey-colored spars and whatnot. Not too sure how it will work with the wheelhouses, but we'll see. Anyhow, that's where she sits at the moment. I just flat ran out of energy before I ran out of fun!

By the way, I decided I don't like the name Draggin' Pete. My wife and I loved the movie Pete's Dragon as kids, but I don't want a camper name that I have to explain all the time. I figure I'll spend enough time showing it to people as it is when I get it finished, so every bit of breath I save will go toward that. :)
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Re: Draggin' Pete

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:45 am

The plight of the over 50 crowd ... drinking all that nasty stuff , then ... :roll: Good Luck with that !!! Been there Twice for the “plumbing check” ...

Trailer is coming along nicely !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:07 pm

I did chuckle when I saw the BIG BOTTLE of go juice, I've drunk one too many of those myself over the years
Just wondering how you drank the jug and still worked on the trailer :thinking:
oh well here's to you and hope the tests turn out well. :beer:

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Papi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Let's just say I was "a man on the run"! Kept me hopping that's for sure.

As for the test, it went well. They all know me pretty well there. Last week's biopsies of my stomach came back benign. :D The doc asked me if I had been on a liquid diet for the past week like he instructed. I told him yes, I had a quart of whisky and a pint of sawmill gravy a day. :FNP He has no sense of humor.
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Re: Camper Without A Name

Postby Papi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 pm

I have tried two methods of building doors. The first time I cut the door blank (the foam part inside the door that gets covered up) out of foam, then surrounded the foam with the wooden frame. This method was tedious, involving a lot of miter box, sandpaper, and planer. Worked all right. Just slow; measure, cut, plane, sand, test fit, repeat.

In the second door I built the door's outer perimeter wood frame first, then cut the foam blank to fit. Still needed the miter box, but much less time involved as it fit perfectly first time. Next foamie that's how I'll do it.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:14 pm

No matter how you do it , doors are a bit tricky ... testing the carpentry skills ....

Glad your plumbing is OK .... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Papi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:31 pm

WOW! I can't believe it's been so long since I've visited this site! Lots of living has taken place since I've last updated. We moved, we're up to 6 grandchildren now, got two new hips and a knee, had a tumor removed, my dad went through cancer- twice- and we got annual passes to Disney World. So we have been busy!

Sitting idle was not good for our foamie. The foam and canvas held up just fine, but the wood rotted. I had to rip out all the old wood and rebuild the side doors, and next the galley doors. I really haven't touched it other than to install the lights in the galley since the last post. But a recent hiking trip renewed interest in the foamie, so I dragged it out of slumber and have begun to get cracking. :twisted:
Papi
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Foamies