A Ship in the Night

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

A Ship in the Night

Postby Catherine+twins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:05 am

Following tradition, I haven't finished my first build and I'm already planning the second. :lol:

A friend of mine has been talking for years about building a trailer. In fact, I sold her my old rotting pop-up (before I found this forum and realized I NEEDED it for my build--oh, well, HF to the rescue) to build on, but it wandered off to yet another builder some time ago. Anyway, she is now interested in an exotic foamie.

You see, she is a rather irreverent re-enactor of the Middle Ages. She used to be quite serious as a Spanish Renaissance widow, but has fallen among thieves, and is now a pirate. Yup, that's right, she wants to build a SHIP TTT. Deryk the Pirate has his Vardo2, and the Widow Cavesa de Vaca wants a priate ship. But constucting it out of ply defeated her and her helpers when they tried.

This just screams to be sculpted in foam. The bow can come to a point on the tongue, the stern can be squared off (I'm suggesting the door in the stern). I'm thinking the sides can be bowed a bit to give the smooth curve of the ship's sides, a foamie figurehead at the prow. 8)

We don't have anything down on paper yet, but the idea is stewing (or maybe sloshing around). I don't think she has even considered the interior, yet, but I have a few ideas there, too. Her Xterra will tow more than my little Hyundai, so we have more potential room to play with in her trailer.

It's just silliness now, but it will probably be a project next summer. For now, as long as the weather is mild, I need to work on my trailer.

:)

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:38 am

i have the feeling that anything can be done with the foam. if there is a will, there is a way.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:56 am

Really Huh ?? There seems to be no boundaries as to what shape you can make a Foamie ... Only limited to your imagination and your carving skills ... And the idea that you can add strips, blocks, shapes without adding a ton of weight or complexity makes it practical for a more “decorativeâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:48 am

That's exactly what got us thinking about her boat again. Rosey's boat will have the advantage of floating, but we live on a mountain in the desert anyway. :lol:

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:57 am

Land Yacht !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rosey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Catherine,
Based on my experience, I think this would be a really easy build. I'm sure you could find some boat designs to base your plan on. Good luck!
Rosey
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Return to Foamies