Big foamie strength

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:03 am

Norm, I have to agree with you ... any structure needs to be engineered ... whether through calculation , or practical experience... The engineering becomes more important depending on the level of Stress you plan to put the structure through ...
One thing we must consider is the original intent of a Foamie ... Viz. a simple, Light , rot -resistant structure that most anyone can build, and without having a shed full of woodworking tools at their disposal .. That alone does not excuse us from the engineering .. or careful construction.

Since building with foam since the early ‘70s , I’ve become accustomed to the properties of Foam and know what to expect from building with this material ... and what I’ve learned from experience is ... the bigger the structure , the More Foam you need (thicker ) ... The more Stress you plan to put it through , the more reinforcing you need ... better skins and perhaps some framing .
It was never the intent of your humble narrator to build Giant RV style trailers with foam , although it would be possible , using the appropriate sized , attached , and placed (design) materials .
To dispel any further myths , we need a Structural Engineer to calculate and confirm our building method , depending on our intended use ...

I can accept that there are many that doubt this construction because it is a new method , previously untried by trailer builders .. but then , the experiences of the few that have tried and used this would tend to confirm that it works ...
The real question is , what type of structural failure do you expect ??? Do we think it will blow off the trailer as Conedragger originally suggested ? Can we dance on the top ? Will it delaminate and fall apart in the driveway ? If it gets hit by a semi , will it crush ? (likely) :o

All factors that affect most any trailer construction... I have a commercial RV in the driveway, made of the more standard materials , that I dare not stand on the roof , Is delaminating and falling apart after 5 years , and I still wouldn’t camp with in bear country .... and a crash would totally destroy . Yet thousands of those are on the road ... :o

Basically , the bigger the Foamie , the thicker/stronger the materials have to be ... and now with the prospect of a really Good glue ... the rest just falls into place ...

:thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 am

I think part of the problem here is that some people look upon building a travel trailer as being out of their skill sets but that building out of foam makes it seem "craftsy" and doable. In some ways building a larger trailer out of foam may require even more carpentry skills than simply out of wood.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pete42 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:10 pm

The only problem I see is in someone's mind.
They can't grasp the concept so it can't possibly work
Having built a foam and fiberglass airplane I know they are strong
A cloth covered trailer while not as strong no one said they are but
Strong enough for a TD.
Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Nobody is saying here you canot build a teardrop from foam. Clearly it is a fine idea.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:43 pm

This has been a very interesting discussion. Obviously, the bigger the project the more thought needs to go into the bones of the construction.

For those of us who need to have as light a teardrop or TTT as possible, without undue risk; it comes down to how much is enough.

I have some wood working experience. I own basic power tools of various sorts. I would not begin to call any of my collection a woodworker's shop. So .... Is the proven fact that foam is more readily accessible as a building material than wood appealing to me? Absolutely.

The hammer tests convinced me 2" foam could take some damage and keep going.

One of the reasons I keep throwing out possibilities and questions is because I am thinking this project through. I want it to be useful and safe.

I have to admit my crafty side is really intrigued. So, what I am saying is thank you for the thought provoking discussion. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:45 pm

No matter what , it Sure beats camping in a tent !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Tent; a foamie with out the foam........ ;)
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:41 am

Pete ... basically huh !!! ;) :lol:

How BIG a Foamie are you guys talking about ... ??? 12’, 14’, 16’ ??? What shape ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies