water proofing your wood

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:55 pm

You Could mix stain with the Mix … :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
User avatar
GPW
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 14113
Images: 545
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:58 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Fiddlin'Billy wrote:So, how does the wood look after waterproofing? Does it look blotchy or is it a nice wood look. Or do you need to stain it to look nice?


It is a shade or two darker than pure poly. Depending on the drinkability of the wood. Not blotchy. I find it really deepens alder.

T
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 3287
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby Fiddlin'Billy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Fiddlin'Billy wrote:So, how does the wood look after waterproofing? Does it look blotchy or is it a nice wood look. Or do you need to stain it to look nice?


It is a shade or two darker than pure poly. Depending on the drinkability of the wood. Not blotchy. I find it really deepens alder.

T

:thumbsup: thanks!
User avatar
Fiddlin'Billy
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:01 pm
Location: Centrally located in Iowa
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby tomhawk » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:42 pm

I have a plan to build a foamie and go to Burning Man this year.
I had looked into renting trailers for this purpose from several west coast sites. A common statement was they did not allow their trailers to be used at Burning Man. The stated reason was the alkali dust from the desert being difficult to clean.

A solution might be to wash the trailer inside and out with a hose.
Are there any design features I could build in to my trailer now that would allow this to work well?
I would think many properties of the foamie structure should make this viable. Is water going to damage the floor?
I have been in Nevada that time of year when the air temperature was 90 °F and the dew point below freezing so it should dry out very quickly.

Tom
User avatar
tomhawk
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 22
Images: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:51 am
Location: Eastern Iowa
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 pm

tomhawk wrote:I have a plan to build a foamie and go to Burning Man this year.
I had looked into renting trailers for this purpose from several west coast sites. A common statement was they did not allow their trailers to be used at Burning Man. The stated reason was the alkali dust from the desert being difficult to clean.

A solution might be to wash the trailer inside and out with a hose.
Are there any design features I could build in to my trailer now that would allow this to work well?
I would think many properties of the foamie structure should make this viable. Is water going to damage the floor?
I have been in Nevada that time of year when the air temperature was 90 °F and the dew point below freezing so it should dry out very quickly.

Tom


We boondock. A lot. And we get very little dirt inside our teardrop. Five weeks in the SW and all that was needed was pulling the bedding. I can't imagine Burning Man would be any worse than some of the places we've camped.

Our floor and walls are sealed with three coats of oil based polyurethane finish. I can't imagine having to run a hose inside.

:thinking:

Tony
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 3287
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby dancam » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:29 pm

Ive never been but ive seen photos of a friend who went. its 70,000 people stomping around in one spot in the desert. It probably gets pretty dusty

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:27 am
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby tomhawk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:37 pm

dancam wrote:.... It probably gets pretty dusty ..

From what our daughter tells us it is alkaline dust.
Tom
User avatar
tomhawk
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 22
Images: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:51 am
Location: Eastern Iowa
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby Zzyzx » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:29 am

Imagine 70,000+ people walking and riding around on a dry lake bed for a week grinding up super fine dust, (talcum powder like). Then combine with possible howling winds and you can have a white out condition dust storm that gets alkali dust into nearly every nook and cranny. Its is not for the faint hearted. Burning Man can be a trial as much as it is a celebration.
Zzyzx
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:08 am
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby scoopburt » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Okay. I have read all 173 previous post.
I plan to use the mix and after it has thoroughly dried (at least 2 weeks after fi al application of the mix) apply Raptor Liner to the Exterior.

1) should I rough sand the exterior before applying the Raptor Liner?
2) is there any other prep I should consider before spraying the Raptor Liner?

I have read the Raptor Liner direction and cant find anything contrary to applying on wood. Just not sure if "the mix" will affect the Raptor Liner.

Thanks for you expertise

Scott
scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 4:43 pm
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52 pm

scoopburt wrote:Okay. I have read all 173 previous post.
I plan to use the mix and after it has thoroughly dried (at least 2 weeks after fi al application of the mix) apply Raptor Liner to the Exterior.

1) should I rough sand the exterior before applying the Raptor Liner?
2) is there any other prep I should consider before spraying the Raptor Liner?

I have read the Raptor Liner direction and cant find anything contrary to applying on wood. Just not sure if "the mix" will affect the Raptor Liner.

Thanks for you expertise

Scott


Make sure you read through this post: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71357

That was caused by applying to bare wood. :frightened:

T
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 3287
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby scoopburt » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:26 pm

T thanks. I did read through that one. Just trying to see if "the mix" is the right water proofing. I definately will water proof my wood before spraying the Raptor liner. I have considered buying a bottle and doing some test pieces however I need to have my trailer ready to visit my sister in Colorado (from ohio) by August 1st. Purchasing Materials Wednesday.

Thanks for taking the time to pull that thread up. I should have included it in my original post that I am trying to avoid that horror story....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 4:43 pm
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby John61CT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:03 am

I thought that bedliner is only designed to spray on metal.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:36 pm
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby scoopburt » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:45 am

John61CT wrote:I thought that bedliner is only designed to spray on metal.
There website says it can be sprayed in just about anything other the PE plastic (commonly used on ATVs)

https://www.raptorliner.ca

So I sent an email asking about using it over "the Mix" to see if I would need to do any additional prep work. We had plywood at boards sprayed at the firehouse with Line-X 6 years ago or so. They look like the day ot was done. I realize that's a different product.
I'm new to the forums. But I will update when I have more info and when Instart posting my build.Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 4:43 pm
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby John61CT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:57 am

I don't doubt a stationary piece of wood would remain encapsulated.

I'm thinking the organic nature of wood, variable flexing of the surface

under massive shock & vibration movement

would require coatings with either more flexibility or greater tensile integrity.

Bedliner's strong point is puncture / scratch resistance, and the steel it's usually used with is what provides the tensile rigidity.

I'm not saying it can't be made to work with well-sealed wood,

especially smaller pieces under minimal loading stress while bouncing down the road

but if your large / heavy main surfaces are made of wood and thus flexing a lot laterally, I think bedliner might be a risky choice.

But just spitball-thinking, could be wrong
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:36 pm
Top

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 am

..but if your large / heavy main surfaces are made of wood and thus flexing a lot laterally, I think bedliner might be a risky choice.


You might take a gander through this thread:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=65559#p1163330

I'll be using Monstaliner bed liner over fiberglass on this current build. I consider it the same as paint. Maybe a bit more durable but its main function is color and UV protection.

Tony
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 3287
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests