water proofing your wood

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: water proofing your wood

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:55 pm

You Could mix stain with the Mix … :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Fiddlin'Billy wrote:So, how does the wood look after waterproofing? Does it look blotchy or is it a nice wood look. Or do you need to stain it to look nice?

It is a shade or two darker than pure poly. Depending on the drinkability of the wood. Not blotchy. I find it really deepens alder.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fiddlin'Billy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:03 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Fiddlin'Billy wrote:So, how does the wood look after waterproofing? Does it look blotchy or is it a nice wood look. Or do you need to stain it to look nice?

It is a shade or two darker than pure poly. Depending on the drinkability of the wood. Not blotchy. I find it really deepens alder.

T

:thumbsup: thanks!
Fiddlin'Billy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tomhawk » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:42 pm

I have a plan to build a foamie and go to Burning Man this year.
I had looked into renting trailers for this purpose from several west coast sites. A common statement was they did not allow their trailers to be used at Burning Man. The stated reason was the alkali dust from the desert being difficult to clean.

A solution might be to wash the trailer inside and out with a hose.
Are there any design features I could build in to my trailer now that would allow this to work well?
I would think many properties of the foamie structure should make this viable. Is water going to damage the floor?
I have been in Nevada that time of year when the air temperature was 90 °F and the dew point below freezing so it should dry out very quickly.

Tom
tomhawk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 pm

tomhawk wrote:I have a plan to build a foamie and go to Burning Man this year.
I had looked into renting trailers for this purpose from several west coast sites. A common statement was they did not allow their trailers to be used at Burning Man. The stated reason was the alkali dust from the desert being difficult to clean.

A solution might be to wash the trailer inside and out with a hose.
Are there any design features I could build in to my trailer now that would allow this to work well?
I would think many properties of the foamie structure should make this viable. Is water going to damage the floor?
I have been in Nevada that time of year when the air temperature was 90 °F and the dew point below freezing so it should dry out very quickly.

Tom

We boondock. A lot. And we get very little dirt inside our teardrop. Five weeks in the SW and all that was needed was pulling the bedding. I can't imagine Burning Man would be any worse than some of the places we've camped.

Our floor and walls are sealed with three coats of oil based polyurethane finish. I can't imagine having to run a hose inside.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:29 pm

Ive never been but ive seen photos of a friend who went. its 70,000 people stomping around in one spot in the desert. It probably gets pretty dusty

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby tomhawk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:37 pm

dancam wrote:.... It probably gets pretty dusty ..

From what our daughter tells us it is alkaline dust.
Tom
tomhawk
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Foamies