The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks for the very kind and supportive words, Lauren. I appreciate that immensely!

Sorry I don't have any good ideas for your hatch fix. I guess somethings are just easier to fix when you are moving slower. Is the trim on permanently, or can it be taken off to make the repair easier?

On TPCE, I had an unexpected day off from the build yesterday. The Escape had a service recall for the steering torque sensor (electronic power steering). I decided to combine that with some other needed repairs, including the major 60k mile tranny oil change, front brake job, spark plugs (which is a major undertaking on the transverse V6), replacement of a leaking PTU shaft seal (PTU = Power Takeoff Unit… rear axle drive shaft yoke), cabin air filter change, and replacement of the HVAC fan speed resistor. It is so nice to have all four fan speeds back again!

Anyway, I was at the mercy of others to get to and fro; from work Wednesday to drop the car off the night before, home, to work again this morning, and back to pick up the car after work today. I'm very grateful to a coworker who lives close to me for ferrying me about; we take turns when our cars are in the shop.

But that’s not why you came! Let’s get caught up. Monday Karl helped me take the ceiling assembly back down off the cabin and onto the work bench. Before flipping it inside up, I glued and screw clamped the front vent shim onto the front vent spar (no pic). I had left this from before until it was easier to reach. Since that was well secured, we were able to flip the assembly inside up right away.

You’ll recall that when I had the ceiling dry fit to the cabin I went around inside and traced key points at intersections and mid spans of all the joints and cabinets to reference for masking. Here are a few examples.

The pencil lines are just inside the boundaries by about a scant 1/16 inch, perhaps 1/32. Not sure how well these pencil lines would be concealed by the stain (some of the lines were fairly bold), so I wanted to sand them down at least until they were very faint, but first I measured carefully at each station and used an ink pen to mark the measurements inside the lines where the markings will (hopefully) remain visible after the first round of masking and finishing is complete. This way I can mask next to the lines so the finish runs under the edges of the joints, then later the measurements will allow me to mask the finish off inside were the lines had been so that the tape does not get pinched in the joint.

I took some time to remove the little bit of excess glue from the inside corner of the flap on the front screw flange. This to be sure that the joint lays down nice and flat when it goes together at final assembly. Here you can see the cleaned up area on the left vs. the yet to be cleaned section on the right.

I made sure to sweep away all of the resulting hard beads of loose glue so that they wouldn’t get ground into the surface of the ceiling and cause mars.

Next I hand sanded the entire surface of the ceiling, paying particular attention to the visible seam and a few “rough” areas around the vent hole (I chose to flip this panel “good side” out because it had several small knots on that side, while the “back” side matched better.

The seam looks pretty good…

… except for a small area near the middle where the glue has soaked in to the face in a little low area.

I’m reluctant to try to sand this down for fear of burning thru the first ply.

Rather than just leave this lying flat for a couple of days (turned into 3), I propped the front end up with a couple of sticks to try to “maintain the train”.

Tonight I only got another 1-1/2 hrs in, but still felt good about progress.

I managed to get the panel flipped back upright by myself and took the screw clamp off of the front vent shim.

I planed and sanded this down until it was flush to the others, both by touch and when checked with a straight edge.

This next little detail took a half hour or so, but I think it will pay off in a nice professional look later when I fair the foam up to the vent frame prior to covering with the canvas. Maybe one of those things that you don’t necessarily notice by itself, but that will make a difference in how the overall build will be perceived (at least I hope).

I got the trim base for the roof vent fan out and positioned it hard into each corner, at the limits of the rough opening, so that I could trace the corner radii.

I then marked the diagonals and used the small compass to step off the edges, finding corner radii that were approximately concentric with the tracings. (No need for exact precision here; it is up on the roof after all.)

Then it was a simple matter to cut on the line with the utility knife, and chip the sharp part of the corner away; little cleanup with the 3/4 inch chisel.

And finally, I masked off the good side of the ceiling. Where the 0.92 wide tape was too wide, I used a straight edge and the utility knife to cut just thru the tape and peel the excess off. (This is actually shown out of sequence, but I forgot to take a pic of the masking until after I flipped it back to rest on the props for the night.)

While I’m working on this, a contractor is replacing the screened porch back at the house. I had hoped to stay out of this project altogether, but ‘oh well’, on Saturday I need to relocate the dryer duct and heating oil tank vent, which currently exit thru the rim joist and the old ledger board. Code requires a 4 inch step out of the building but the old deck was only about 2 inches down; so the new decking will be slightly lower and those services need to be relocated.
Last edited by KCStudly on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 am

That's coming along very nicely. I like the way you used the utility knife and chisel. The roof looks really nice. Getting so close to fully enclosed. :thumbsup:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:42 am

Thanks Bonnie! :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:55 am

KC, just thinking , since you have it flat again , now would be the time to glue an old sheet on the exterior to prevent any further splitting problems ... easy , cheap “insurance” ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks for the thought, GPW. I think the test dry fit showed that I can get it done like it is. I will more than likely stabilize it with a full strip of the fiberglass tape and epoxy down each side of the front radius after it is on for good. Then I won't have to worry about access to the screw holes anymore.

Rub-a-dub-rub.

Rub the stain on.

Rub the stain off.

Ended up having some pretty “good” (not so good :oops: ) sanding scratches around that area by the vent opening. Probably won’t be noticed by most people.

Also, that little spot of glue at the panel join didn’t take the stain, just like I suspected. Looks like a little blond sliver. I may spot sand this and see if I can blend the stain, or try and tint some poly and touch it up before laying the top coats on… or I might just leave it be.

Either way, it’s coming along and I’m generally pleased with the progress.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:29 pm

I really do like that stain color. It had to grow on me, but it has done that. :thumbsup:
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks, Bonnie. Without the poly the camera doesn't do the color any favors, but it looks good in person, and the pics with the poly come out fairly representative. I think it has something to do with the flatness of the wood and stain sucking the color out of the light.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:35 am

I am gone for a few weeks and you are almost on the road. Looking good there KC.

Two weeks back I went to the Element 11 arts festival in Utah. Got to watch a guy run and dive into the big burn and kill himself. That was special.

Got home and did a bunch of work on my new to me TV a 2000 Isuzu Trooper. Learned a bunch about replacing timing belt. fixing EGR valves and fuel injectors. Motor is weak and burns oil. Just so it doesn't throw a rod before I get a chance to pull it to overhaul. Then last week was family reunion for a few days. Then more work on the Trooper. Hey it was cheap enough. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:33 am

Sorry you had to see that. The nerve of some people, or maybe just a drunken stupor playing to the crowd(?). They'll probably make you sign a waiver next year, if they don't already.

Punkin' Chunkin will be in the parking field across the street from the NASCAR track at Dover this year (which will limit the field distance during the event... record attempts will need to be made the week prior shooting over the trees from another field :frightened: ..., so the big boys will have to set up twice. During the weekend of the event they will be shooting at targets instead of for distance). I'm pretty sure this is because of the insurance hassle at the current field.

Once you get the Trooper sorted out it should be a better off road TV than your smaller, lower vehicles, but maybe won't get as good MPG due to the higher stance and heavier weight. Do you plan on doing the engine rebuild yourself? It has been a while since I've done any motor work.
Last edited by KCStudly on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:17 am

The guy was not drunk. He would have tripped or something if he was drunk and the Rangers could have caught him. I have not heard of the results of toxicology tests yet.

Trooper's gas millage will be terrible compared to what I am use to but it carries so much more and I plan to mostly use it for trips. I plan to do most of the motor work myself. At least the wrenching part. Hardest part will be getting it out and back in. ( and paying for it ) It has pretty good oil pressure so the crankshaft will probably not need to be ground and I might get away not doing a valve job. Will know more after a better compression test.

Punkin chucking at targets at a NASCAR track. Moving targets??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:43 am

KC, I’d just like to dispute your term “ a nice professional look “ .... As we all know by now , the Pro’s would have slapped it together on an assembly line in a few hours, and it would have not NEARLY the attention to detail and materials selection you have done ... I think a better description would be “ a nice QUALITY look” .. At this point , more “Art" than trailer ... let’s face it , this is not your Ordinary build , but more, what is Possible with the right space, tools and SKILL !!! 8) Just sayin’ ... FWIW
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Targets are usually something like an old panel van (think bread truck or SWAT van), school bus, mobile office trailer, or.... :shock: a camper.

Thanks GPW. I suppose you are correct. There is a distinction between collecting a paycheck (professional) and being a craftsman (quality).

I'm sure a true professional craftsman (the ones who do really nice quality work) would see all of the flaws in my stuff, but I'm happy to give it my best TLAR try. I sure have gained a lot of hands on experience, and have learned a lot about joinery and finish work.

The little sliver of glue that didn't take the stain bothered me, so rather than start on the poly I made an attempt at fixing it. First I tried Aggie79/Tom's advice and blended some of the stain into some of the poly with a little spirits to thin it out, and touched that on with the little hobby brush. I suppose if I had experimented some more I might have been able to get that to work, but it looked like it would have dried to a bold dark stripe, so I wiped that back off.

Next I spot sanded the area with 220 grit backed up by my finger so that I could direct the action of the paper just where I wanted it (rather than using a hard block). That seemed to take care of the glue. Now it was just a matter of trying to blend the stain and get it to look even again… not easy to do on such a big panel with a spot repair.

Here’s what I ended up with. Hopefully the darker areas will lighten up after the oil has dried up a bit.

If so I think I can live with the other sanding scratches; if not I will reassess and contemplate sanding the whole panel back down and starting over (but probably not). Maybe I’ll get Karl to help me set it back up on the cabin, lay there for a while looking up, and then decide.

Anyway, the stain needs another 8 hrs minimum to dry, so no poly today.

Oh yeah, the oil tank vent and dryer duct relocation jobs were slam dunks; no hassle. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:59 pm

KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:56 pm

The dark spot did not go away.

The sanding scratches did not go away (I knew that).

Yesterday Ben had stopped by, and, since he is a professional finish carpenter and experienced furniture maker, we asked him if there was any way to get the stain to match. He told us what we already knew; no. It must be sanded back and redone.

So today when I arrived and commented that the dark spot was still there, Karl knew the writing was on the… er… well, ceiling. He tried to tell me that no one would see it, that the poly would help hide it (I don’t think so) and, his favorite excuse, “it’s only a camper”.

Now, don’t get me wrong. Yes, it is a camper, but I’m trying to make it a really nice camper; and the pictures don’t really make it look as bad as it does in person. I didn’t come this far only to flake out at the ten yard line and fumble the ball, just because it is “only” a camper. I want to see this thing through. My argument was that, if it only takes me a few hours (or a couple of sessions) to fix it and get back to the stage where I am at now then it would be worth doing. Karl went back to what he was doing and I got the palm sander out. I figured it wouldn’t be so bad if I just redid the main section and left the cabinet areas alone.

First I hit the whole area with 100 grit, but had to work at the trouble areas a bit harder/longer to get the results I was looking for. This left a real contrast in color between the lightly sanded areas and the trouble spots.

So I kept at it with the 100 grit until I had the whole section fairly even in color.

Switched to 180 grit and did it all again. Thankfully it took a lot less time than the previous round.

Final session was with 220 grit.

If I hadn’t have been out of staining cloths, I would have put the stain on, too (I picked some more up on the way home).

Karl has a saying, “I may think that I can make it better, but I know that I can make it worse”. I sure hope it turns out better than it was. I think it will. There may be a darker sliver around the perimeter where I couldn’t get right up to the edge of the tape (I didn’t want to have to pull it and redo it), but that won’t bother me near as much as the warts I removed today.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:50 am

That just a camper is a piece of art. You do what pleases you. :) :thumbsup: